A few comments, just for discussion sake. Not saying your plan/method is wrong for you...

It is possible and very enjoyable to thru-hike cheaply (less than $4,000 including ALL costs) and in a reasonable amount of time (3-4 months) that can easily coincide with a summer-vacation or a reasonably short leave of absence at work.
I dunno. 3 - 4 months probably isn't enough time for all but those few who start and continue in excellent physical condition. 4 months would be an 18+ mile per day average with no zero's. Pretty tough pace considering it leaves no time for neros/zeros and laundry, town meals, rest days, weather, etc. Probably have to average more like 20 miles per day.

If you have a down bag you'll have to hang on a branch for 15 minutes then turn it so the top (part that would be on top of you as you sleep) is facing towards the ground and shake the loft/down so that it will actually be on top of you, keeping you warm at night.
I don't see this as happeneing a lot. Unstuff the bag as soon as you make camp, shake it out a bit, and let it loft. Down doesn't move around all that much in a good bag and hanging it for whatever reason other than drying a bit isn't convenient.

For the AT, I recommend a flat tarp. The AT is a warm, wet, wooded trail. We want a shelter that won't have condensation problems, and we aren't that afraid of high winds, since we won't be camping above treeline on the AT. 6x10 feet is the perfect size.
I think 6 x 10 is too small except as a minimalist survival tarp. If you're actually going to use it regularly 8 x 10 is better. Can be pitched traditionally with a ridge line or as a teepee if it gets nasty out.

You'll need 12 light/cheap aluminum Y stakes ($10, 3.5 oz), and a package of some lightweight, thin guy-line cord such as kelty triptease ($10, .5 oz).
I think 8 stakes is enough. 4 for each corner, 2 for the middle, and 2 more if used to stake ridge poles if pitched that way.

1 package(50') of line probably isn't enough. You'll want a minimum of 30' for a ridge line(40' is better and gives you some spare line if needed for repairs/breaks) if pitching between trees. Big tree circumfrences require a lot of line to go around them. You'll also want 6 pieces 4' to 6' long each at the corners and middle so that you can pitch the tarp higher when you want to and are able to when it isn't windy. And either learn to tie slip knots well or buy some of the nylon line tensioners as well.

You have two options for raingear:...
A third very popular and hiker recommended option would be the packa.

It is possible and enjoyable to go cold. I didn't cook for my 06 AT thru, and I won't cook in 08.
99.9% of hikers just couldn't fathom this option.

Headlamp: There are many options options . Anything in the 2-4 ounce and $20-$40 range is reasonable. If you LOVE night hiking (I hate it), then you might want something more towards the heavy/expensive end. A headlamp isn't necessary, but you won't want to hike without one unless you have some miles under your belt. I didn't carry any light source for most of the PCT, but I got into a pretty set routine and knew where everything was.
I think a light of some kind is pretty necessary from both a convenience and safety standpoint.

Maps: Expensive, heavy, most AT thru's don't buy or carry maps or any navigational tools other than a guidebook. Some people consider maps and compasses to be essential safety equipment in the backcountry. I personally don't consider anything on the AT to be the backcountry, and so I don't carry maps on the AT. I did carry maps on the PCT, and they were quite useful. I will of course, also carry 2-3 sets of maps for the CDT.
Not having a map and compass puts you at a severe disadvange, especially in an emergency. They aren't that expensive or heavy. Even an upscale tyvek map weighs only 2 -3 oz. A mini compass weighs < 1 oz. It's very easy to get disoriented in the woods even if just a few miles from "civilization". This just isn't an option in my book.

Hiking poles: If you have knee issues, get them. Otherwise, realize that it's just going to take a month for you to get into hiking shape, and poles will only be crutches. Keep your body weight and pack weight down, and you won't need them. They take up far more energy over a long day. If you do choose to get poles, wal-mart sells pairs for around $20 if you can stomach wal-mart. You can also go to a used sporting goods store and buy a pair of used ski poles.
Whenever I hike without a pole(I only use one anyway) I almost invariable find and wind up using use a suitable stick along the way. A pole(s) can also serve as tarp poles and are very helpful in keeping your balance crossing streams, bogs, tricky footing situations, etc. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Clothing: You need enough clothing to stay warm while hiking. You should plan on hiking during the cold parts of the day. If you want to have a few hours of a day while you don't hike, it is best to plan these hours during the hottest part of the day. You will avoid either sitting around idle during cold weather or hiking during the oppressive heat.
If you need clothing to stay warm in camp, this is a result of one of two things: 1. Poor day planning (hiking during warm weather and doing nothing during cold) or 2. Wanting to hang out around shelters (where drug/alcohol abuse is standard behavior). If #2 is your gig, then by all means carry some sort of warm clothing (western mountaineering flight down vest, $200, is a good option)
Otherwise, the following should suffice: running shorts/hiking kilt, sun t-shirt (www.railriders.com makes good ones), visor (a visor is very optional), warm fleece or wool hat. If weather gets really cold for a stretch, you can simply pick up a $10 fleece from a store near the trail until the weather improves. You'll likely have this stuff at home already. If you are cold while hiking a rainjacket or windjacket will provide a lot of warmth.
You need enough clothing for the environment you are in. Weather at higher elevations can change very rapidly. Especially in New England. Unless every time it turns cold you want to hole up in your sleeping bag in survival mode, you need a base layer, long pants that will at least be wind resistant, an upper body insulative layer, and a water resistant shell jacket and hat as an absolute minimum. Anything less is a recipe for disaster from Glencliff north.

mp3 player:
completely unnecessary

Extras: Be reasonable. I carried a 2 pound mandolin on the PCT. I practiced a lot in the desert, waiting for the snowpack in the sierras to melt, and not much after that. You have some wiggle room if you want to carry some extra warm clothes, a book/journal, a stuffed animal, or whatever.
Skimp on maps, compasses and warm clothing but carry an MP3 and a mandolin. I guess you could burn it in an emergency.

Socks/Shoes: Real hikers use running shoes, not boots, for nearly all conditions that can be called hiking.
Lots of "Real hikers" still wear boots. Usually much lighter weight than in prior days, but still boots.

The thick wool sock+nylon liner sock combo is a throwback to old-fashioned wool socks and hiking in boots. It isn't really necessary anymore.
Lots of real hikers still wear these too.[/quote]

I recommend maildrops....So, let's assume that we spent around $1,500 on socks, shoes, and gear, $500 for travel expenses, and $1400 on food and shipping. You should be able to get by with far less, but I always like assuming spending the maximum amounts for financial costs.
You then have $600 to blow in towns on a $4000 budget....
Maildrops can be a real PIA too and $100's in postage can buy food along the way. Money goes real quick in towns. Especially from CT north. And the AMC will be waiting for you.

To finish the AT in 4 months, you would have to average 18 miles a day, or 126 miles a week. 126 miles a week might sound like a lot, and it will be a lot the first week or so, but it's really not difficult! The mileages sound intimidating, but they're only tough for normal people. You're not a normal person--you're a thru-hiker now....If you have a four month schedule you'll still have plenty of time to mess around and take side trips. You'll have plenty of time to explore the little towns you come across, and to check out all those side trails to waterfalls, and take days off when you feel like it. I tend to dislike total rest days (zero days) as they break my rhythm and make me wonder why I'd want to go hiking instead of hanging out in town.
IMO, and from what I've read and heard talking to others, 4 months doesn't leave a lot of time for "plenty of time to explore the little towns you come across, and to check out all those side trails to waterfalls, and take days off when you feel like it."

Anyway, just my comments and opinions. Fuel for discussion.