WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    We certainly have them here too...the Cumberland Monastery's overlook is completely covered with obsence grafitti..vivid pics that even younger kid's can't help but understand. I'll never understand the need to deface such a peaceful, beautiful place. Jerks. I had taken closeups of some of these kids for their families, but wouldn't post them on FB because of the grafitti.
    If you want to post them somewhere, any photo software (even the simple Paint that's usually in the Accessories section of your computer) should be able to let you cover up the graffitti - maybe even find a color that will blend in with the rocks to make it look more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    If you want to post them somewhere, any photo software (even the simple Paint that's usually in the Accessories section of your computer) should be able to let you cover up the graffitti - maybe even find a color that will blend in with the rocks to make it look more natural.
    Thanks for the tip...I'll ask one of my kids to show me how. (techno-savvy I'm not, but I can learn)

Images

the last time i was at wiley shelter, the last shelter before you get in to ct, I hauled out three contractor bags of garbage and cans out of there. the shelter sits less than a two minute walk from the road and gets its fare share of abuse from the locals.

Bake Oven Knob was by far the dirtiest shelter on the AT when I went thru. Generally, the shelters close to a road were filled with the most trash (no surprise there).

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    So far, from Katahdin down to Md. I'd have to say the trash and graffiti were the worst around the Knife Edge in Pa. and a bit north at a viewpoint (forgot the name) which is basically a drive-up with a 1/4 mile walk (at most). Beautiful view with lots of trash/ painted rocks, etc. and the shelter about 1/2 mile N. of there was a pit with no water nearby.

I hung outside.
    Could someone tell me where this "Knife Edge in Pa" is?
    I don't remember it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Dirtiest, as what areas have the most near to the AT strip clubs? Uhh, most dirt tread? Oh, litter, never mind. Guess it depends when you go through various AT areas. Usually more or different kinds of trash at different times.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Could someone tell me where this "Knife Edge in Pa" is?
    I don't remember it.
    Between rt 309 and Lehigh Gap.

see http://www.cnyhiking.com/ATinPA-LehighGap.htm

Journal Entries

Probably your undershorts!!!

i would say mine to be fair but I don't wear any.......

IMO PA gets a bad rap. Being from PA i am obviously biased but hear me out. Trash on the trails....to me it was no more prominent in GA, VA, PA, MD, NJ, or NY (states ive hiked in). All areas with shelters near roads are littered heavily compared to the rest of the trail. To me it seems like the road crossings in PA are near some (not so friendly cities) which might have something to do with it, From Duncannon till the Delaware Water Gap you are no more than an hour from either Harrisburg, Allentown, or Reading.....Three cities that are basically off site ghettos for New York and Philadelphia. But like i said i never thought it was any worse here than anywhere else if you take into account your geography...

Then again people have told me PA is rocky, Ive never noticed . If you grew up here (PA) and spent time outdoors, you assumed mountains were supposed to be rocky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++