WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Leatherman makes a small tool called the Squirt. The main tool is a scissors, which is what you'll use more than any other. I'd carry one of those, or a small Swiss Army Knife.

Eventually you will need some bug protection. I soak my outer clothes and hat in Permethrin every Spring (but it's lethal to cats, do a search here on WB). Also, the reason DEET is still around is because it also works better than anything else. 40% concentration is the most you need, and you don't need to bathe in it, just a small amount spread very thin.
    Wow, thank you for informing me about the Permethrin issue as I have a kitten and a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Paul,

Have you actually used the hammock set up yet? If not, it would be wise to practice setting it up and spending a night or two sleeping in it. They have a little learning curve and best to learn at home and not the first couple of days on the trail. Make sure the blue pad fits the hammock okay and that it is warm enough.

Your definately light on the clothes for 4/1. I'd add a thermal (long sleve) top and bottom (light weight), a nylon long sleve shirt, a microfleece or wool shirt (large) and a vest. Finished off with your rain shell. Layers are your friend, so have several and always keep one set dry.

Other wise, I think your good to go, I'd guess to about half way in 75 days.
    I haven't set up the hammock yet. Luckily, my wife and I are planning on checking out the Benton-Mackaye trail a week or so prior to me setting off on my quest. This will allow me to check out what I may need to tweak.
    I also appreciate the tips on clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    You may find some folks won't appreciate the Ocarina
    Could say that same about farting, but people still do it. Ocarina playing is preferred.

But seriously, the OP is concerned about DEET. Have you looked into Picaridin? It is the only bug repellent shown to be as effective as DEET, but compared to DEET has no odor, causes less skin irritation, and won't damage fabrics. The herbal repellents (eucalyptus, lemon, Skin So Soft, etc.) work for a few minutes, then just make you smell better while the mosquitoes bite you.

Pretty sure the under quilt is superior to any bag you will have inside the hammock but I don't have personal experience with that. I would check out the hammock forum on here. Also, just for fun, check out a guy named Shug on Youtube. He hammocks in sub zero weather in Minnesota. You may pick up a few tips seeing how he sets up his camp.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

An underquilt would probably be better, but another trick with a pad in a hammock is to put it inside your sleeping bag. I actually have a pretty similar setup (same hammock & liner, warmer bag - 20*, wider pad - 24" cut down to 18" toward the feet) and I've been absolutely toasty for a few hours on a test run in the yard with the temps in the 30s. I didn't have any trouble getting into the liner. You just have to think about it a little. Leave the bag mostly unzipped, and after you pick your feet up, but before you put them into the bag, drape the liner over your feet up to your waist (helps if you have a strong core). Then you put your feet in your bag, zip up most of the way, sit up, then pull your liner up to shoulder height and lay down.
    You can lighten the Hennessy up some with Dutch hooks, whoopies, & 1" straps, and I like to keep my tarp separate with an adjustable ridgeline made out of Zing-It 1.8mm and 9-biners. Derek Hansen has some awesome illustrations for hammock camping in his book and blog. Definitely check those out.

If you are bringing an iphone, get this http://www.smule.com/ocarina/ really sounds lovely, well depending on the player

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Could say that same about farting, but people still do it. Ocarina playing is preferred.
    I would have to second that, OddManOut!
    If a tree falls in the woods, be there to hear it.

Section Hiker

REI (and I'm sure other places) has a wide array of various size and type Nalgene bottles--some with lids, spouts, screw tops, squeezees--one of those might work for the toothpaste. I just bought a bunch for everything from Oregano to shampoo to meds.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

for blisters i use super glue & duct tape....pierce the blister on the side and force out liquid...insert the tip of super glue and fill blister half way....cover with duct tape & leave the tape on for 5-7 days...remove duct tape...blister will be completely healed.....on my 2011 sobo thru i met a guy in maine named breeze that was finishing his nobo hike & had recently left the army....where he was a medic.....he told me this...shortly thereafter a fellow sobo who had terrible blisters stopped and joined our chat....he took breezes advice...i bumped into him later in gorham and he said in a week his problems were over...i have since tried and it works great

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wannahike View Post
    If you are bringing an iphone, get this http://www.smule.com/ocarina/ really sounds lovely, well depending on the player
    Wow. Just wow. That is amazing. (Off to download.....)

oh & in the timeframe you are on harpers ferry is my guess...given a few zeros in town that sounds about right...if your moving fast maybe to pen mar park on the maryland / pennsylvania border

You have lots of pretty light gear and are counting ounces...but you put it in a 5-lb bag. You could cut the weight of your pack in half with the Osprey Exos ($220, 2.1lb) or try the Deuter ACT Lite ($200, 3.2lb) if comfort is a concern. I've used the ACT Lite for over 2k miles and it's been great.

I'm not a hammock camper but my best friend is and says it gets a lot colder than a tent or shelter. A warmer sleeping bag might be a smart upgrade - and depending on your budget you can save some weight there too. 46 oz is a lot for a 35-degree bag. Here are some reviews that might help: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...ng-Bag-Reviews

For your toothpaste...a friend recommended contact lens carriers with a screw-on top. You can keep toothpaste and butt paste in the same container...just don't mix em up!

Awesome advice, thank you all! I believe I will go with the underquilt idea been eyeing several brands but arrowhead seems to have the best prices and not looking to spend much more on gear for a while. I'm a touchy sleeper and tend to get terrible sleep in a tent which then translates to an achy next day, if it doesn't work out with the hammock I can always swap it out for my tent later.

I would love to replace the backpack, it was one of my first pieces of gear about a year ago and got a great deal and it has served me well, but it is very heavy, I'll be shaving all the straps when I can.
    I'm a pretty considerate person and the ocarina was a bit of a joke, but hey I may get one anyway but keep my considerations for others, and that app looks awesome.

I have heard of using super glue for blisters but never actually putting it inside the broken blister, I can see how it would work but also seems like it could be toxic especially since the first protective layer of skin has been removed, but hey if it stops the chance of infection then the benefits outweigh the risks.

Thanks again!

re: Permetherin.....yes, it's toxic (lethal) for cats, but it's the same as Advantix....spray your equipment and clothes somewhere from which the cat can be kept away for a few hours while it dries. Once dried it's no longer a threat (We treat our dogs regularly, but just keep the cat from them for a while. Afterward they interact and it's no problem).

If the weight is not an issue I say "Absolutely" to the bear suit....it will keep you warm when all the wool and fleece fails. Ever hear a polar bear complain?

Also be sure to pack the sarcasm...and don't worry about waterproofing it, as it works best when dripping.

Have a great trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++