WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    If 42 is closed now, do you think it will be open on Thursday of next week? I was planning on using Winding Stair Rd/77 I think it is then make a left on 42. This way is not accessible?
    From what I read, 42 is not closed, just very difficult to travel even with a 4WD vehicle (it is not plowed).

But, I am not a local. You may want to contact the ATC on say, Tues or Weds, to get updated news. They probably get their info from the GATC, but the ATC will be more easily reached I imagine.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    If 42 is closed now, do you think it will be open on Thursday of next week? I was planning on using Winding Stair Rd/77 I think it is then make a left on 42. This way is not accessible?
    Temps in the 60s are coming; snow on the fs rds shouldn't be a problem. However, I wouldn't take Winding Stair FS77*. Depending on where you are coming from, the FS rds from Elijay, Dahlonega, or Suches should be in much better shape.

*unless someone jumps in with "recent" experience on fs 77 and can vouch for its current conditions. I haven't gone that way in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Why? I could maybe see Mount Oglethorpe...
    Brasstown Bald is the highest mountain in GA.

I've done a total of four shakedown hikes to prepare for this year's thru, and three of them started at the Amicalola Arch. So, I know the approach trail pretty well.

The approach from the base of the falls is actually pretty weird; not only is it a fairly steep grade throughout, it's exposed! So, if you start in warm weather like I did one August, it's hot as hell. In colder weather, you're totally exposed to the wind. It can be pretty discouraging. From the top of the falls to Springer is just more conventional AT hiking. I personally think that everyone should do it once for completeness sake, but I won't be going back unless it's to take a detour to the Len Foote Hike Inn.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Is there anyway to leave your backpack at the Lodge (maybe for a tip), get a ride down to the entrance, and hike back up the stairs?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

Yeah, you probably could do that.

Or, get dropped off at the arch, hike up to the lodge, spend the night and eat the buffets (!), then start out bright, early and bloated in the morning.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++