WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Greedy ****ers

Images

I think the original poster does have a bit of a point here. If a hostel does in fact advertise as "free" and "donations accepted" then they can't complain if someone does stay for free and does not donate money. If the hostel owner expects donation or work for stay, then advertise that and then you have a gripe when someone doesn't donate or work for stay.

There are plenty of people, young folks especially, that don't have the funds and a free place to stay is a great thing. The ones with more money will hopefully make up for them by donating extra.

Of course, in this case, I do not know if the original poster actually acted like a "scumbag" or JUST didn't make a donation. Every story has two sides.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    Hostel's sorry laptop sucks
    Probably a loose nut behind the keyboard.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Probably a loose nut behind the keyboard.
    omg, i just snorted!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    omg, i just snorted!

Then you agree?
    It's a great day to be alive !

Correct or add to this if I'm off, but isn't it mostly true that hostels "suggest" donations to avoid various regulations? Taxes, income, zoning etc. Ultimately they are looking to make an income and/or provide a service, perhaps out of kindness. I know there are varieties and combinations of those reasons. I'd simply say give it some sincere consideration before you stiff the donation box and skip the chores. Even if they are in it for profit, you the hiker are still benefitting from the cheaper rates. I'd guess offhand that the regulated price is the cheapest hotel in town with maid service.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Correct or add to this if I'm off, but isn't it mostly true that hostels "suggest" donations to avoid various regulations? Taxes, income, zoning etc. Ultimately they are looking to make an income and/or provide a service, perhaps out of kindness. I know there are varieties and combinations of those reasons. I'd simply say give it some sincere consideration before you stiff the donation box and skip the chores. Even if they are in it for profit, you the hiker are still benefitting from the cheaper rates. I'd guess offhand that the regulated price is the cheapest hotel in town with maid service.
    Hikers shouldn't stiff donation boxes. But lets face it. Lots of hikers are freeloaders. That's why hostel owners should set a fixed price, or shut their pie holes when they get stiffed. Because they will. Again & again.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

This thread gives a good snap shot into what makes the AT a great place and what makes it suck. On the one hand you have business owners who are trying to give folks who need it, a break by offering a room and services in exchange for some labor. None of these hostel owners really need to hire a hiker for help. They would prefer cash. But, like the AT community of old, everyone tries to take care of each other and do the right thing. Good people doing good things for one another.
    On the otherhand, we have in our society, now, this selfish, self important, everyone owes me whatever I want attitude that has made it into the AT community. I can not believe people would think it is OK to whine and complain llike lazy jerks on a public forum about being asked to do some minor work or pay a few dollars to stay somewhere and get some services. I would be willing to bet they are the same people who leave litter behind on the trail and in the firepits, piss off thel locals when they visit towns and cause most of the negative problems. These people are invasive species and should be treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post

There are plenty of people, young folks especially, that don't have the funds and a free place to stay is a great thing. The ones with more money will hopefully make up for them by donating extra.
    that's BS right there. then the "young folks" should stay in the friggin woods if they ain't got no funds. the ones that always plead poverty are the ones always eatin' pizza and drinkin' beer in towns. they can afford a few bucks in a hiker box

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    Then you agree?
    yes. yes, i do.

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    This thread gives a good snap shot into what makes the AT a great place and what makes it suck. On the one hand you have business owners who are trying to give folks who need it, a break by offering a room and services in exchange for some labor. None of these hostel owners really need to hire a hiker for help. They would prefer cash. But, like the AT community of old, everyone tries to take care of each other and do the right thing. Good people doing good things for one another.
    On the otherhand, we have in our society, now, this selfish, self important, everyone owes me whatever I want attitude that has made it into the AT community. I can not believe people would think it is OK to whine and complain llike lazy jerks on a public forum about being asked to do some minor work or pay a few dollars to stay somewhere and get some services. I would be willing to bet they are the same people who leave litter behind on the trail and in the firepits, piss off thel locals when they visit towns and cause most of the negative problems. These people are invasive species and should be treated as such.

ooh, and a well-deserved bitchslap from td55. nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's BS right there. then the "young folks" should stay in the friggin woods if they ain't got no funds. the ones that always plead poverty are the ones always eatin' pizza and drinkin' beer in towns. they can afford a few bucks in a hiker box
    eggsactly!

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Hikers shouldn't stiff donation boxes. But lets face it. Lots of hikers are freeloaders. That's why hostel owners should set a fixed price, or shut their pie holes when they get stiffed. Because they will. Again & again.
    I might agree with that in some cases, like if the hostel is really for profit the owner should just eat it. I'd also factor in whatever the regs might be, there could be extenuating circumstances like overreaching town ordinances or something.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

BS? If the hostel didn't advertise as "FREE" then maybe these hikers WOULD stay in the "friggin woods".

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    BS? If the hostel didn't advertise as "FREE" then maybe these hikers WOULD stay in the "friggin woods".
    there are no FREE hostels on the AT

Images

there are no FREE hostels on the AT
    Very possible. I was commenting on the original poster saying they were advertised as free. Note that I said "IF" they advertise as free...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw View Post
    I just got off the trail and I had a great time. I'm hoping to work during the summer and go back out and catch hikers in the fall. On another note: I wanted to make sure everyone is aware that some hostels think that when they put the words "free" AND "donations accepted" into all the guidebooks and on their signs that this means "every single person needs to work to donate money to stay here, or we are telling you we are openly going to you to the hikers behind you".

This is seriously ****ed up and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see one hostel owner do it more than once. I'm not going to name names, but hopefully the right people catch wind of this and straighten the **** up... Just be careful guys!
    I don't much like your attitude.

It's really a question of character. Just because something is made available to those in need doesn't mean an automatic freebie for anyone that "wants" it. If you are a bum, just deal with it and quit trying to make excuses for it. There is only a limited amount of good will and free stuff to go around. When to many bums collect, the folks who really do need the help miss out. I have no sympathy this week for lazy 20 something year olds who think they deserve something they havn't earned. My family in the form of a 20 year old Marine landed in Afganistan on Saturday. He did not complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator
    I'm sensing a lot of hostelity in this thead.
    I don't know about you guys, but I laughed my ass off at this

Images

I've done some hiking, by no means am I a thru hiker, where has this "celebrity" attitude come from that some thru hikers have bestowed upon themselves? You aren't entitled to anything in this life, nothings free.

Pay the hostel owners, join the ATC, and pay for this site too. I'm derelict in that, checks in the mail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    It's really a question of character. Just because something is made available to those in need doesn't mean an automatic freebie for anyone that "wants" it. If you are a bum, just deal with it and quit trying to make excuses for it. There is only a limited amount of good will and free stuff to go around. When to many bums collect, the folks who really do need the help miss out. I have no sympathy this week for lazy 20 something year olds who think they deserve something they havn't earned. My family in the form of a 20 year old Marine landed in Afganistan on Saturday. He did not complain.

sorry, i think it needed to be said again but louder for the lazy entitled people. just to make sure they saw it...

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++