WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've heard many say if it isn't fun anymore they will quit. Let's face it, there will be plenty of times it won't be fun. Esp when you are slogging your way through ankle deep wet sloppy slush with wind belting you at 50 mph. But plenty of times it will be the best experience of your life. And that's what you hold on to. And if you get a bad day, you will have a good day. But you will get days you want to quit. Those are the days that if you can keep going, despite the urge to bag it, all the way to the big K, you will have conquered the mental challenge.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

When I was at Trashgiving last fall, a hiker who completed the trail in 2007 (NOBO), gave me some simple advice. Don't think more than a week at a time. Set small goals for yourself that are 4-7 days away from you on trail. When you are on Springer, think Neel's Gap, when you are at Neel's, think Franklin(I think), and so on. This has been one of the best pieces of mental advice I have received.

Kirby

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quitting, while not a good thing for some, is not a bad thing for everyone. You may reach a point where you say "I'm done, another six weeks and I'm going home. I don't care if I finish." And you may find those words liberating. All of a sudden, the hurry and the goal vanish, and you enjoy walking every day.

Default Problem Solving and delays

I quit after 700 miles last time so I can understand the absolutely critical question of mental toughness on the trail. What I have learned since is that at that time I was only 19, and no disrespect to those who are about that age but when I was 19 I didn't know what I know now, and I didn't have the skills, particuarly problem solving skills I have now.

What I will do this time, and I stress the word will because I know things will go wrong at some stage, it break everything down and not get overwhelmed so easily. I'm a union organiser, have been for about 6 years now, and every single day I have to organise workers with constant opposition and intimidation from employers, so I'm quite used to finding ways around obstacles.

I have also successfully transferred these skills into my personal life, and to be honest there is little in life that intimidates me nowdays. Problems often seem insurmountable and overwhelming, but they rarely are. So focusing on what you can change, forgetting what you can't, and constantly moving forward always, without exception, gets you in a better place than simply getting overwhelmed, panicking and defensive.

Another thing I will do is not make any major decisions while I am emotional and will try to involve my other thru-hikers and seek their advice. I learned years ago that calling home is a mistake...no one will understand, and they are much more likely to encourage you to come home, because most likely, they have no idea what this means to you.

Will it work...well that remains to be seen of course. I am very confident that I will successfully thru-hike the AT this year but I've been unsuccessful before...so know that is a possibility. This doesn't worry me, if anything I feel luckly to have had that experience now, as I know what didn't work last time.

I want this thing bad...so bad, and I'm going after it again. It's what you do after you fail in life that means everything, and everyone fails at some stage. I'm just so happy to have the opportunity again after all these years.

My mental preparation is to be prepared to laugh at myself and all the mistakes i make along the way. I KNOW for a fact i will be cold, tired, hungry and flat out miserable at times. Intrestingly enough, i want to try and take something meaningful away from those moments, whatever lesson it may be! So when you see the guy whos on his back like a turtle in the mud help me up and hopefully we can laugh about it together!! Should be fun, challenging, exhilerating, fantasia and everything else you cant imagine it will be, isnt this part of why we want to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    I want this thing bad...so bad, and I'm going after it again. It's what you do after you fail in life that means everything, and everyone fails at some stage. I'm just so happy to have the opportunity again after all these years.
    Go for it, dude. I have a hunch you'll make it.

My mental preparation is to be prepared to laugh at myself and all the mistakes i make along the way. I KNOW for a fact i will be cold, tired, hungry and flat out miserable at times. Intrestingly enough, i want to try and take something meaningful away from those moments, whatever lesson it may be! So when you see the guy whos on his back like a turtle in the mud help me up and hopefully we can laugh about it together!! Should be fun, challenging, exhilerating, fantasia and everything else you cant imagine it will be, isnt this part of why we want to do this?

Yeah, it looks better with smileys!! Still dont know what im doing!! Freekin newbes!!

Images

One time I was on a trail in the Grande Tetons when it was raining steady and around 35 degrees. I spied a Kangeroo Mouse stuck under a small rock ledge wanting to go elsewhere but not wanting to get wet in the process. I spent, probably, 30 minutes standing in that cold rain just observing the frantic movements of that poor mouses' predicument.

I am blessed with being facinated by most things in nature, and am simply walking the AT to see what there is to see. Yes, I've been cold, tired, hungary, and in pain before while hiking and expect the same on the AT. Doesn't matter, I'm just walking the AT to see what I can see.

Download my one page 'book' at the website below.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    Food for thought. Thank you for posting your 'book' Mr. Doyle.

Images

Good question. I remember losing much sleep over the question of mental challenges before the AT. What if I didn't like it or became bored while I was out there?

Things that have helped me over the year on long hikes:

music (ipod, radio, mp3)
    books (can really take your mind off miles/boredom
    friends (good conversation always helps)
    writing (journaling, memoirs, hiker registers)
    play mind games (just get to the next resupply point)
    Take a day off/zero day in town or somewhere alone

Don't stress too much. Most likely you'll love it and want to see what's around the next bend. Or you'll realize real soon it isn't for you
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Smile Take it on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    Ah yes Warren, I'm carrying it in my front pocket daily. When I have a moment with nothing else to do, I read it again. Some if not all will be in reachable memory mode when I hit the trail in 71 days. What I don't remember then, I'll just have to reach into my pocket and read again. Thanks for the valuable info.
    taking the high roads and the low roads

I remember being a bit scared beforehand
    once i got out there, it took a few weeks to get used to living outdoors.

AFter that, it's all been fun. Have a great hike!

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

here's some

Learn your Gear, test drive ALL of it.

Read up and create a knowledge base of the areas you'll be traversing through (wildlife, plants life, towns, trail alert histories, shelter conditions, special interest points you may want to go to)

Read up and familiarize yourself with the way your re-supply and push boxes are going to work. How-when-where-why. Know this inside and out. You need to be confident about what box is going where once your out there. (not to mention to make sure you have every confidence in the world on the person you've selected to run this)

Do shakedown hikes with scenarios as much as will be like your long hike. Hike in crappy weather for 4 hours, get soaked, get hot, sleep in a storm in your tent in your backyard, hike some at night time, etc. ...Deal with all these challenges, it will make you more mentally prepared WHEN you do it on your actual trek.

Come up with something to live by to get you going. For me it was simply because I wanted to do it and be out there. (but I ALWAYS want to be out there). I guess if I could say one thing it was that I felt I was again walking with my grandfather's spirit as I always feel closer to it when I am out there.

BE prepared to be challenged with things that will prevent you from hiking your own hike. Hiker friends are the best and the most warmhearted people I know. However the trail, especially at the starting point is going to be full of dreamers and doer's. Those who prepared and those who thought they were. Your going to meet both and your going to want to hike with these people. Just remember there may come a time where you are going to have to say, "I have to go on" when a freind wants to take a zero OR when you can see an aquantince made go south (bad) and you have to have some way to bail. Mentally prepare yourself that you may be in this position.

AND above all, prepare yourself to know when you have to get off the trial, speed up , slack up; due to health, a gut feeling something/someone isnt right or equipment failure.
    Last edited by HIKER7s; 01-17-2008 at 12:11.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Lots of great advice on this thread. The first thing that popped in my head was a saying that I heard/read that went something like, "If hiking the AT isn't currently the most important thing in your life, then go do what is."

Now that I reread that, it sort of takes on a negative tone... oh well.

...and get used to the 20 questions!

Images

I agree - this is a very important thread. Many Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their thoughts here.

Some words from the heart that helped me during a time of great loss is to "just keep putting one foot in front of and other and this too will pass". I'm sure that this same thought will be helping me in a more physical sense over my six months or so on the trail.

I look forward to continued reading and learning from the wealth of information to be found in the WB threads as I prep for a March 10th (2008) thru-hike take-off.

Images

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by ATbound View Post
    This is my daily mantra: I will not quit. I will not fail.
    I just hope that by saying that over and over to myself, it'll sink in really deep and I'll be able to overcome the hard days.

The key is to want to be out there more than you want to be at home slaving in the cubicle.

One adventure is worth a thousand Mondays...
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I remember being a bit scared beforehand
    once i got out there, it took a few weeks to get used to living outdoors.

AFter that, it's all been fun.
    Very true.
    Esp. the FUN part!
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++