WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Kristian Morgan 2024 AT NOBO FKT attempt

So he really has the 2nd fastest time NOBO but as was pointed out to me last year, earlier in this thread, that doesn't show in any records since he didn't beat the current record. It's almost misleading when you look at the record holders because it's easy to assume #2 on record was the second fastest time ever recorded.

Good luck, I will be following!
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

He’s ahead of record pace!

slightly behind now but very close and that may just be to use the road for the night with his crew. He was ahead of record pace a couple years ago till the Whites.

Spoke too soon, back ahead.

Why does he have such huge tracking points between distances? .... it's like his gps pings once every 10 miles.
    Last edited by LazyLightning; 05-29-2024 at 06:52.
    NoDoz
    -

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    slightly behind now but very close and that may just be to use the road for the night with his crew. He was ahead of record pace a couple years ago till the Whites.

Spoke too soon, back ahead.

Why does he have such huge tracking points between distances? .... it's like his gps pings once every 10 miles.
    Cause he's so FAST

GPS only pings intermittently. The more frequently you send a point, the more battery it burns. Also, doesn't do much good to send a point when under trees as the unit needs a clear view of the sky to send it. I don't know what device he is using but I know there are times when my InReach Mini is in a wide open spot and STILL won't send the signal.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

day 5. Hot Springs. 55 MPD avg.

Lone Wolf- thanks for the update here. Just checked his “live” tracker and still appears ahead of the Belgian dentist. This guy, Captain Morgan, seems like a really nice dude. Hopefully he can keep the pace!

Images

Well, he is persistent, I'll give him that. This is like his 3rd or 4th attempt at the AT FKT.

Day 9. saw him this morning at TN91/Cross Mtn. at 7am. started at Vandaventer shelter and going to Elk garden most likely. he'll be in Damascus around 12 pm. looking strong

Day 13. should finish around McAfee knob

Lone Wolf, if you see him again tell him this is better than watching cable TV!

So far it’s going really well for him!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Lone Wolf, if you see him again tell him this is better than watching cable TV!

So far it’s going really well for him!
    I saw him 3 days in a row at road x-ings. he looks/is strong. he trained hard in Thailand over the winter. I'm confident he will get the record. I will go to Maine for the last few days if it looks like he'll get it. and yes, better than any damn TV

One thing is for sure if he beats the record - if not next year Karel will be out by 2026 to try to reclaim it...

The reason I say that?

In 2016 Karel got the record on the PCT then in 2021 someone beat his record by about a day. So last year in 2023 Karel went back to the PCT and smoked the 2021 record by over 5 days to reclaim that one.

I agree I enjoy watching these but I wish his points were tracked/updated more often. I don't believe going too fast is the reason because Karel in 2018 is updated every couple minutes with a lot more tracking points. I'm thinking Kristian is saving battery and his points are only tracked when he turns his unit on during a short rest or something....

If I can make it up for a hike on a weekend when he's in this area to wish him luck as he passes I'll look forward to it, but the chances might be slim he's near me for my Saturday hike.
    NoDoz
    -

He was at Rockfish Gap, per GPS tracking, when I checked today.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    He was at Rockfish Gap, per GPS tracking, when I checked today.
    he's about 8 miles north of Loft Mtn. right now

He’s in my turf now but I’m on travel. He’s burnin it up out there!

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

people are saying this is better than tv. is there a link to a video of him? thanks!

If you view his tracker, there is a link to his instagram which has photos and sometimes videos posted by the good captain himself. Not live video or produced or whatnot. But, way more enjoyable. Sorry if I got your hopes up, but for me no television program can replace how exciting it is to watch people absolutely push their limits day after day after day after day.

++ New Posts ++