I am trying to perfect my sleep system on trail. Ive never really found a comfortable mat for side sleeping so Ive resorted to a cocktail of melatonin, chamomile tea, and ear plugs.

I recently tried a particular inflatable pillow and I never could get the pressure right; to much and it was hard and would hurt my ear, to soft and it would not give me the support I wanted.

The past few trips Ive had sore hips. I just attributed it to age + so so fitness levels. The pillow issue got me thinking, I wonder if I am experiencing the same problem with my air pad? Too much pressure makes it uncomfortably firm, to little and my hip hits the ground? For reference Ive used mostly UL type pads all around 1.5Lbs, NeoAir, EitherLight, and currently S2S UL Insulated. Ive experimented with a foam pad underneath like a Z Lite and also tried a 1/8 foam pad folded in half and place under my hips/torso.

I can't really find a good balance of comfort, size, and practicality. Ive thought about the self inflating type as my next move, and truthfully they seem like the only option aside from the car camping 5Lbs+ monsters.

What are your thoughts? Are the self inflating (foam core) type pads "plush"?