These rules are
designed to make WhiteBlaze useful and enjoyable. Please follow them. As
you do, please keep in mind that the purpose of WhiteBlaze is to foster a
sense of friendship and community among its members. Behavior that is
contrary to that sense of community is not welcome here, and will not be
tolerated by WhiteBlaze.
1. The overall goal of WhiteBlaze is to allow the open discussion of topics
that a person interested in hiking may need to know. This includes the
families of hikers, trail maintainers, trail angels, researchers, service
providers, and any other individual interested in hiking. The goal is the
positive exchange of information between users.
2. Offensive posting is not allowed. That includes use of illegal
substances, racism, sexism, or posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt,
mock, or assault the character of other members. Our policy does not
protect people that choose to verbally assault other members that may
disagree with them. In essence members can disagree but should remain
respectful of the person they disagree with.
3. Topics that have been closed, deleted, or moved by an Administrator or
Moderator have been done for a reason. Users will not open new threads on
the same subject or continue to make posts about subjects that have had
these actions taken. Failing to comply with this policy can result in
being placed into moderated status.
4. Discussions involving how to commit illegal acts, or involving the use,
production and/or distribution of illegal drugs are forbidden.
5. Do not post inflammatory messages, spam, “off topic” posts, or hijack
6. No commercial posts are allowed, and spam is forbidden in both forums
and private messages.
7. Signatures should be composed of the default font size or smaller and
should be 10 lines maximum(including lines of spaces) when viewed at 1152
x 864. Signatures should not include ascii made images. Colors and links
(in accordance with Board Rules) may be used. Signatures should conform to
the normal Board Rules regarding content. Any signature seen as being
overly long or of an offensive nature etc is liable to be removed without
notice. Inflammatory Political Statements or Quotes (as Perceived by the
WhiteBlaze Administrators) are not permitted in signatures and will be
removed. WhiteBlaze Administrators will have the final say over what is
8. Posts become the copyright property of WhiteBlaze. Please don’t use
them elsewhere. Please don’t post items here that are copyrighted
9. Violations of these rules can include deletion of a post or other item,
a closure of threads or forums, a “time out” imposed on a member’s ability
to post messages, or a ban from WhiteBlaze. Members may be warned in
advance, but actions may occur without a warning.
10. If a user is found by one of the Administrators of WhiteBlaze to be in
violation of these policies we reserve the right to place that member into
moderated status. This means their posts will not appear until an
Administrator approves them. They may even be disapproved based on
content, intent of the post, or the probable response to the post.
Verbally abuse, attacking or being combative with Administrators of
WhiteBlaze will also not be tolerated. Administrators are the final
arbitrators of what is considered to violate this policy. Warnings will
normally be given prior to putting a user into moderated status, but as a
policy - no prior warning is required.
11. Users that bypass security procedures or actions by Administrators
will be banned.
12. Users that Spam the board, create or use alternate identities to
bypass moderated status, or are found to be in gross violation of the
Terms of Service agreement will be banned immediately.
13. Users that cause significant disturbances, are repeated violators of
the Terms of Service, or routinely create issues without contributing to
the site's main theme of helping other hikers prepare for hiking the AT -
they can be considered for banning by the Administrators for due cause.
Members being considered for banning will be notified by PM or e-mail of
14. Donating members do not gain any special consideration or protection
from these actions. A donating member must abide by the same rules set
forth for any other member.
15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they
should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”)
with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you
want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in
16. Decisions of the Administrators are final. Administrators may make any
decision they believe appropriate for the good of WhiteBlaze in situations
not covered by these rules.
17. Threats are absolutely unacceptable. Anyone posting a message that
contains a threat to another person or their property will immediately
be moved into moderated status. The posting, and all other posts made by
the offender in that thread will be deleted. Please be aware that
moderators can not determine when a threat is made in jest. Neither can
many users; so simply do not make them. If there is a second offense it
will terminate the offender's participation on WhiteBlaze. All posts,
pictures, or contributions of any sort will be deleted
18. Unwanted Private Messages-You can place the user on ignore, you can write the user and tell them not to PM you anymore and you must then desist from writing them (this is the protocol to prevent cyberharassment), or you can keep writing them. If they are not breaking the law, WB prefers to not get overly involved in private messaging as it is a private system. Users can take control of the issue by utilizing these suggestions.