WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think the article should come with a litany of qualifiers. What if you're on immunosuppressants? What if your health is compromised in some other form or fashion?

I don't "need" to wear a seatbelt when I drive, I only "need" one in case of an accident. The rest of the time I wear one for insurance.

Same thing goes for filtering water. With most filters rated for thousands upon thousands of gallons one unit is, essentially, a "lifetime use" item if properly cared for. If it keeps me from getting sick just once, it's well worth it. If it keeps that one illness from ruining a trip, then it's worth even more.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    I don't "need" to wear a seatbelt when I drive, I only "need" one in case of an accident.
    “A seatbelt” is to “texting while driving”

as a

“Water filter” is to “not washing your hands with soap and water”.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

as a

That's perfect.

In all seriousness, do you mind if copy this word for word and use it in future discussions,?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

My two cents:

1) The odds of getting a waterbourne illness from any one source is overwhelmingly low.
    2) The majority of illness that are blamed on "bad water" are actually transmitted by contact with infected people or contaminated surfaces. Proper hand washing with honest to goodness soap is far more effective at reducing the spread of pathogens than water treatment.
    3) Most commercial filters do not protect against viruses like Noro virus that is ever present on major trails.
    4) It you are unable to treat your water, just drink it. Dehydration is generally more dangerous to the average hiker than waterbourne contaminants.
    5) All that said I still treat my water, because I think it's easy and a smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    My two cents:

1) The odds of getting a waterbourne illness from any one source is overwhelmingly low.
    2) The majority of illness that are blamed on "bad water" are actually transmitted by contact with infected people or contaminated surfaces. Proper hand washing with honest to goodness soap is far more effective at reducing the spread of pathogens than water treatment.
    3) Most commercial filters do not protect against viruses like Noro virus that is ever present on major trails.
    4) It you are unable to treat your water, just drink it. Dehydration is generally more dangerous to the average hiker than waterbourne contaminants.
    5) All that said I still treat my water, because I think it's easy and a smart thing to do.
    Yes indeed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

#4 is very wrong sorry puking and the squirts will dehydrate you way faster.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BionicAnkle View Post
    #4 is very wrong sorry puking and the squirts will dehydrate you way faster.
    That's a valid point, so please let me clarify my reasoning: If someone is badly dehydrated while hiking, that is an immediate risk to life and health and getting rehydrated is the immediate priority. In the context of hiking the A.T. or other US trails, odds (on average) are that a hiker that immediately needs water will not get sick from drinking at any one water source, which makes treating their dehydration the more prudent option rather than trying to continue on dangerously dehydrated. In addition most common waterborne illnesses in the US have a lenghty incubation period, so even in the event that it is necessary to drink from a questionable water source, there will still likely be time to head back to civilization and get medical treatment prior to the onset of symptoms.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 02-05-2018 at 10:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    My two cents:

Well written. I agree totally.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

as a

Well, I wear seatbelts, I don't text and drive, I filter water, and I'm pretty adamant about hand cleansing, so I've pretty much got it all covered.

++ New Posts ++