WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Beating the PCT Style Hang

Hi all - a question just out of curiosity:

I've used the PCT style hang a few times (when I'm not sleeping with my food) and I like it, but we all know that hanging is not allowed in quite a few places because bears are smart and have figured out how to beat various bear-bag rigs. It's obvious to me how bear-bag rigs which are tied off to tree trunks are easily foiled by a bear pawing at the rope until it breaks, but I'm curious as to how a bear can beat a PCT style hang. Does anyone have any experience with a bear taking down a well done (away from trunk, on a suitably small branch, etc.) PCT hang? Thanks.

i'm curious as to why there's not an AT style hang

Images

Here's a few.
    1) You're in an area where trees aren't cooperative and you hang it too low or too close to the truck.
    2) It has been said that mothers will have the cubs climb up and dive bomb the bag, breaking it off.
    3) You hang from too small of branch. Bear breaks or shakes it off.
    4) The most common it likely that people do a lazy job hanging the bag. I have seen some piss poor hangs of all styles that I could get into from the ground.

The Pct method is a work of art when properly done. The key is being able to find the right tree.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

The cord is left hanging down, they can grab it and pull it.

The biggest problem is AT hikers are largely ignorant and lazy and do as poor job no matter how they do it. They simply dont care.

Finding a good branch is not always quick, close, or easy.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-20-2015 at 07:44.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Finding a good branch isn't even possible sometimes. It's a good idea to master the two-trees hang as well as the PCT hang. Two-trees isn't nearly as safe as a good PCT hang, and it's harder on the trees because of all the dragging of the line across branches, but sometimes you do what you have to.

Sometimes when it's getting on toward evening, I start looking for a stealth site when I spot a good branch. Because good stealth sites are easier to find than good branches.

I think there may be a canister in my future. (Because I'm likely to take up hiking in a park that requires them.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

++ New Posts ++