WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Garlic
    Images

I forgot to mention the most time-consuming part of my CDT hike planning--printing out maps. Back in my day, the best option was printing your own from Jonathan Ley's CDT-ROM and I think it's still an option. If you do go with paper maps, be sure to budget the printing time.

I also forgot about the need for a mail drop to Benchmark.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Finlay1967 View Post
    Once again, thanks for all the information, really appreciate it. The Teton Crest does look fantastic and would be a perfect finale. I think a sobo hike would in fact be better given the conditions!
    This year is obviously a SOBO year. I actually said that at this forum a few weeks ago. Not sure why I overlooked it yesterday. Also, you will likely have company at the start. Assuming you can get campsites as a walk up. That probably won't be a problem. The Park Service keeps spots open for walk up people. Starting NOBO from Yellowstone you would have been in between the NOBO & SOBO folks and likely alone except for section hikers.
    About mail drops in the USA: Our Postal Service offers Priority Mail without any weight limit for a flat rate. Post offices usually have designated Priory Mail boxes on hand for FREE! I measured the Large size last night. It is 12" x 12" x 6" (300mm x 300mm x 150mm for the metric inclined ). That is half of the Benchmark Ranch size limit so no worries there. It looks like it would hold a lot of food.
    You're going to be busy in Kalispell, MT and Glacier getting a food box ready and mailing it to Benchmark before you start your hike, lining up your hike through the park and getting some bear spray.
    Have a great hike!

Three Bears Motel Lincoln, MT Send these folks an email and ask if they still offer shuttles to/from the trail for guests.

You will likely want a USA cell phone. I am totally clueless about such things. No doubt someone here knows all about cell phones for visitors. Verizon has the best rural coverage. We switched to Verizon after AT&T's signal stopped finding our house in the woods of east Texas.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Keep in mind that the Benchmark ranch requires getting $30 BEFORE they will pick up your package at the PO and take it to the ranch.

When I went to Glacier July 1st a couple of years ago we had no problem getting campsites (well, only a little bit of trouble since we were a group of 5) but some of the route was still impassable due to snow and high water stream crossings. Since this was supposedly a "low" snow year there, maybe that won't be an issue being there late June.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cell phones are easy to get, not that they will be of much use for much of the CDT except maybe when in town. Walmart and many supermarkets carry "burner" smart phones for typically $20 and up (I did see one at a supermarket for $5) then a data plan for $40 a month. You can go even cheaper if you just want basic voice and texting.

Getting Benchmark their check early might be the only potential glitch I see in this adventure. Cash in the mail would work. However, it would take them two mail runs to complete the drop box transaction. Mail the funds from Scotland early? Verify through email that they have the funds before sending out the food box?
    It's always something, hey? If the CDT were easy it would be just as crowded as the AT in the Smokies.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Boxes to Benchmark are $25. I mailed my check Monday and as soon as I see that it has cleared I'll send my box.

Ready as I'll ever be!

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Boxes to Benchmark are $25. I mailed my check Monday and as soon as I see that it has cleared I'll send my box.

Ready as I'll ever be!
    I think I sent them a tip, which is why 30 stuck in my mind. Even so, when my plans changed and I wasn't going to get to Benchmark, I called and asked if they would take my box back to the PO and have it returned the next time they went to town (Priority mail box, so no cost the them), they said it would cost me another $25. So I said open the box and let other hikers have whats in it. About the only thing in there I would have liked to have gotten back were maps I cut out of the Delorme atlas for the next section.

[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1975949]... they said it would cost me another $25. ... [\QUOTE]
    Stern folks with a dollar. Noted.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

I believe many (most?) of the CDT hikers this year are using the guthook app on their phones: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33017758
    Many NOBO'ers arrived at the CO border too early as the month of May was one of the most snowfall in many years.
    So, some flipped up to Lander and are heading south, others are waiting, a few tried to get through, some roadwalked southern CO.

Wyoming certainly wouldn't be my favorite part, especially southern WY.
    But, if I was going to hike WY again, SOBO would be the way to do it. (the "winds" are named that for a reason)

Good luck in what you decide.
    If you are planning on having a phone with you, I would definitely look into the guthook app.
    Have fun.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Thanks for the advice on the app, have had a quick look and it looks fantastic and lots of useful info on there! I dont know if I will buy a phone over there, I already have one which I might bring over to use the app. I dont think I will need to make any calls out there so the onboard gps in conjunction with the app on my phone should suffice!

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++