Ok, so it looks like the PCT is on for this summer. I'm not 100% sure, but its looking more than likely at this point. Got the shifts locked down at work the other day, and I think I have enough money. I've got a couple questions that I was wondering if you guys could help me out with:

1. What is the rain like? I feel like I've heard conflicting things; one person in another thread talked about "miserable" rain, but I've heard other people say that they have gone 100+ nights on the PCT with just cowboy camping, never pitching any kind of shelter. Which is it? Or, in other words, should I stick with a super-light, minimal tarp, or get something with more coverage like the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape?

2. How much water volume? I carry 2x1-liter platys regularly, so how much more storage do I need for southern California? If I get the platypus "water bags," do I just let them hang on the outside of my pack, or pack them inside?

3. How much pack volume? I know there are some long roadless sections that need 5-6 days of food. I like the look of the Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet (2750 ci). Is that enough? My GoLite Jam (~3100) felt too big last summer. Keep in mind that the base weight is about 5 lbs, and everything packs down really small.

4. Long pants/shirt in the desert, right? What materials, or does it matter? Is there anything in particular I should look to buy? I'm thinking about just using my rainpants from last summer, and a lightweight synthetic shirt on top?

5. What about bears? Do I need one of those dorky canisters, or can I just hang my food and take my chances?

Thanks for any help,
-DM