WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by combat_veteran View Post
    So I am making my attempt nobo Feb 1st, 2020. I would like to hear from other hikers who have either section hiked Georgia in early February or thru-hikers who started around the first of February as to what I may expect as far as weather temps.or trail condition. I know I will be spending a lot of time at shelter's so would you recommend a bivy for early February?
    Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Go read the trail journals of people who started in early Feb and note how quickly they disappear. Starting that early can result in very slow progress due to bad weather and short hours of daylight. It can also add a lot of extra expense. Many bail before long as being cold and wet 24/7 gets real old, real fast or they blow through their money due to all the days in town waiting out the weather to avoid being cold and wet.

A bivy is a big help in shelter situations as it will add a few degrees to your bag, will help keep the bag clean and dry since rain can blow into shelters and the shelter floors can get wet and muddy from people stomping around and hanging wet clothes in a futile attempt to get them to dry. They just drip water of the floor. Be sure the bivy has a breathable fabric top or condensation will kill you.

Since even that early in the season you still can't be assured of shelter space every night, you'll want a good sized tarp to put over the bivy when you have to camp outside the shelter.
    Yep the few times I used the Borah cuben bivy In shelter was very pleased with it...highly recommend...obviously the top isn’t cuben but a breathable material...only around 6oz....well worth the $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

That's absolutely right. Continuing on is difficult enough even in good weather...

++ New Posts ++