WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    I apologize for my ignorance of that area, does the BMT not run thru SMNP? Different rules vs AT? (Not trying to be an ass, I honestly don’t know.)
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The BMT goes through the Smokies, mostly at a lower elevation. So far as I know there are no shelters, only campsites. Per GSMNP rules, you would not qualify for the relaxed AT thru-hiker rules, so you would have to get a reservation for each campsite you use.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I just meant if the crowds are the problem and they are concentrated on the AT in March and April, why not take another trail through the Smokies.

For what it's worth I met an early starter at Overmountain red barn last February and I'm pretty sure he said he started early because that's what worked with his schedule.
    Yeah, I get that part I just didn’t know if the restrictions in SMNP applied just to the AT or on all the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    The BMT goes through the Smokies, mostly at a lower elevation. So far as I know there are no shelters, only campsites. Per GSMNP rules, you would not qualify for the relaxed AT thru-hiker rules, so you would have to get a reservation for each campsite you use.
    Thanks for the info. That sounds like even more of a PIA than using the shelters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    One shelter, Laurel Gap. By my count 20 backcountry camp sites.

I wonder if the ATC would consider the BMT through the Smokies as a legitimate alternative to the AT through the park. And still consider it a thru?

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    One shelter, Laurel Gap. By my count 20 backcountry camp sites.

I wonder if the ATC would consider the BMT through the Smokies as a legitimate alternative to the AT through the park. And still consider it a thru?
    I doubt they would consider such a thought without buy in from the NPS and the Benton Mackay Trail Association.

If memory serves it has been discussed here, and it was stated that The BMTA was not on board with becoming an official alternate AT.

++ New Posts ++