WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Trowels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I guess I've never measured the 6" per say but have never had trouble finding duff on the ground that sufficient covers all contents well and fairly deep. I also make a point to go well off trail usually near or inside a rotting tree as so well away from others....on JMT simply covering with a large rock or finding a good deep ground squirrel hole was never an issue...... Yea I packed out most TP....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I guess I've never measured the 6" per say but have never had trouble finding duff on the ground that sufficient covers all contents well and fairly deep. I also make a point to go well off trail usually near or inside a rotting tree as so well away from others....on JMT simply covering with a large rock or finding a good deep ground squirrel hole was never an issue...... Yea I packed out most TP....

The local environs does make a huge difference, NW rainforest to SW desert to mid America sub alpine all have different characteristics. Bottom line is get off the main trail somewhere unlikely to be a traffic lane away from water. If you don't get the recommended depth, cover with a branch, rock or whatever. Whether it takes 30 days or 30 weeks becomes irrelevant if it doesn't pollute a water source or become an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    The local environs does make a huge difference, NW rainforest to SW desert to mid America sub alpine all have different characteristics. Bottom line is get off the main trail somewhere unlikely to be a traffic lane away from water. If you don't get the recommended depth, cover with a branch, rock or whatever. Whether it takes 30 days or 30 weeks becomes irrelevant if it doesn't pollute a water source or become an eyesore.
    Y I hear ya....I'm not the guy leaving TP blooms around.....I'm all about LNT.....just haven't seen the need yet...i guess just like using a snow stake or ground hog you could use a good sharp trowel for a tent stake.....BYOS.....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Does anyone else pack out soiled TP? I carry this stuff with me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000T...xTL&ref=plSrch

I never pack out TP. If the ground is too hard to dig an adequate hole (I have a QiWiz Ti trowel) then I'll spread it, hide it as best I can, including the TP. I have never made a "bad job" anywhere except off trail and out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    Does anyone else pack out soiled TP? I carry this stuff with me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000T...xTL&ref=plSrch

I never pack out TP. If the ground is too hard to dig an adequate hole (I have a QiWiz Ti trowel) then I'll spread it, hide it as best I can, including the TP. I have never made a "bad job" anywhere except off trail and out of sight.

LNT. pack it out
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    LNT. pack it out
    What about incineration?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    What about incineration?
    No longer recommended. Multiple forest fires have been started by people trying to burn TP.

(I wish I was joking)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    LNT. pack it out
    An alternative method of dealing with TP is the poup soup technique, that I learned from Charlie Thorpe, LNT Master Educator:

After depositing waste and TP / materials into the cathole,

1. use a sturdy stick (not your trowel) to mix all of this with some loose soil,
    2. then add a cup or so of water* and mix again.

The TP, soil, and feces should not be recognizable as such once thoroughly mixed in this soup. The thorough mixing of all of the cathole contents with soil and water will speed decomposition, make animal digging less likely, and will completely avoid the “TP flower” problem.
    * there is some disagreement as to how essential it really is to add water to the mix,
    but if you can spare some, it does speed the mixing process
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++