WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'd use UPS or FedX. If you mailed a pack it could take weeks to get there. A package that size and weight would go parcel post. Don't know where you'd ship it to though. Many motels will accept packages for guests. Maybe the Lodge at Amicalola?

Looks like you could take Amtrak from Auston to Atlanta or Gainesville. While this will take an extra day, you don't have to deal with airport BS and restrictions on what can fly.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'd use UPS or FedX. If you mailed a pack it could take weeks to get there. A package that size and weight would go parcel post. Don't know where you'd ship it to though. Many motels will accept packages for guests. Maybe the Lodge at Amicalola?

Looks like you could take Amtrak from Auston to Atlanta or Gainesville. While this will take an extra day, you don't have to deal with airport BS and restrictions on what can fly.
    I have never found the airport to be so burdensome that I would spend an extra day traveling to avoid it.
    Trail Miles: 5,125.9
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

Actually looked at Amtrak... 3 days, and 3 times the cost of a plane ticket... would have to leave a week early...nope.

I think the big duffle is the idea. I hike with a white gas stove so I will leave this all taken apart.

I'm a photographer, so I actually have a couple large bags for lighting equipment. I'll sacrifice one for the cause!

Images

I flew into Atlanta when I did the southernmost section of the trail and checked my pack as luggage. I didn't put it inside another bag but If I remember correctly the airline had a big plastic bag they wrapped it in. Of course I couldn't pack any flammables but when I got to Atlanta, the shuttle driver sold me a fuel canister. I also checked my pack as luggage for my return flight out of Asheville. Both times, the pack made it through with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by searust View Post
    Actually looked at Amtrak... 3 days, and 3 times the cost of a plane ticket... would have to leave a week early...nope.

I think the big duffle is the idea. I hike with a white gas stove so I will leave this all taken apart.

I'm a photographer, so I actually have a couple large bags for lighting equipment. I'll sacrifice one for the cause!
    Your right about the train. They have you go to Chicago first, then back south. That's insane since the short route is through New Orleans. This new web site format is horrible too, they don't show the prices.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++