Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In my opinion the *best* way to get ready for the trail is hands on... this includes your gear. The *best* way to become familiar with your gear is to use it on the field. For example, the more you set up and take down your shelter, the faster you'll get at it, and the more you'll decide whether or not your setup.

For your backpack, since you have some time to prepare, maybe you can find or make some friends who have backpacks they are willing to let you borrow? Even if you can borrow it for just a day, take it and fill it with about 20 pounds of gear (even if you have to use water bottles and pillows), and try to take it on a fairly treacherous hike (lol). This will give you a good idea of how to adjust the straps on backpacks to get a good fit, and decide what you like and don't like about the pack style you're using, etc.

You can do research online and buy a pack you like at the store, and you will probably end up with something good (or great), but it always helps to put a few miles on something and get that first-hand experience. This goes with everything from your shelter and pack to your preferred way of making fire and cooking. --But I know this isn't always easy with expensive gear. Just some advice!
    A hiking stick a-sway keeps the doctor at bay.

whether or not you like your setup*** 1st paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by GreenThumb View Post
    In my opinion the *best* way to get ready for the trail is hands on... this includes your gear. The *best* way to become familiar with your gear is to use it on the field. For example, the more you set up and take down your shelter, the faster you'll get at it, and the more you'll decide whether or not your setup.

For your backpack, since you have some time to prepare, maybe you can find or make some friends who have backpacks they are willing to let you borrow? Even if you can borrow it for just a day, take it and fill it with about 20 pounds of gear (even if you have to use water bottles and pillows), and try to take it on a fairly treacherous hike (lol). This will give you a good idea of how to adjust the straps on backpacks to get a good fit, and decide what you like and don't like about the pack style you're using, etc.

You can do research online and buy a pack you like at the store, and you will probably end up with something good (or great), but it always helps to put a few miles on something and get that first-hand experience. This goes with everything from your shelter and pack to your preferred way of making fire and cooking. --But I know this isn't always easy with expensive gear. Just some advice!
    That was my first thought! Unfortunately I'm a college student and most of my friends would prefer to get their nails done than to hike the Appalachian Trail. The general reaction has been "Oh my god that's awesome, better you than me!"... My friend who will be coming with me is a very different body type from me (very curvy, and much taller) but I may try her pack just in case I end up liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by oliviamariana View Post
    That was my first thought! Unfortunately I'm a college student and most of my friends would prefer to get their nails done than to hike the Appalachian Trail. The general reaction has been "Oh my god that's awesome, better you than me!"... My friend who will be coming with me is a very different body type from me (very curvy, and much taller) but I may try her pack just in case I end up liking it.
    Another option is to bring your gear in garbage bags or stuff sacks to a gear shop, they should be nice enough to let you load up a bag you like and give it a run. You may not get the whole experience just walking around the store with it, but you'll be able to get the right fit, and after trying a couple bags you should know what will work. Heck, my dad bought me my bag when I was 12 or 13, and I'm still using it at 26.

++ New Posts ++