WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gambit McCrae.... My apologies for piling on the "no smart phone" bandwagon. It wasn't my intent to strike a nerve and you're right, my personal habits aren't germane to the ethical question. In truth I'm grateful that my life has taken a course that allows me to "unplug" to the extent I have but I am aware that some of my comments come across as sanctimonious and meanwhile I'm slipping into the office at least nine times a day to log into this or that social media account. Mea culpa.
    The reason I responded to your original post initially is because the ethical question about how we share information with this new technology interests me. Any real discussion about ethics should examine opposing points of view but of course we each have to follow our own moral compass. I'm not interested in converting any ones thoughts and I'm not even sure where I will land on this after further examination. In the interest of continuing the conversation in a meaningful way I offer for your consideration a parallel.
    Public libraries go to some expense to line their shelves with new release books. When I check out a new release book from my local library that is on the New York Times Bestseller list and bring it home neither the author, the publisher or the printer receive any payment from me. Is this ethical? If the way libraries have worked for ages is ethical, how did we as a society arrive at that conclusion and if it is unethical how did we as a society allow it to become the norm for how we share information. To simplify the analogy, If I purchase a book, read it and loan it to a friend, is that ethical?
    Respectfully...Twisted
    "I love the unimproved works of God" Horace Kephart 1862-1931

Fair Use is a doctrine in copyright laws permitting limited use of copyrighted material without having to first acquire permission from the copyright holder. Fair Use is a limitation to copyright that is designed to balance the interests of copyright holders with public interest. For example, subscribing to a weather service application and sharing information garnered from that service like tornado warnings would not be a copyright infringement. Making a copy of the forecast and sending it to others would be.

Tempests often seem larger in the teapot.

++ New Posts ++