Background: Next summer I am planning on hiking a section of the AT starting in June with my kids. We would like to hike for about a month, maybe a little more. It will be me (40 yr old female) and my 3 daughters (11, 9, 8 years old). We will be training this year with occasional short trips, but the likelihood of any of us being in super shape when we start out is fairly slim (because we are not!). I am a teacher, so besides not starting until the beginning of June, we are fairly flexible on our end date. We will be hiking SLOWLY while we get into the swing of it, and so that we can enjoy ourselves along the way. I am thinking that Georgia will be pretty hot during this time of year, so we're not looking to start from Springer, though we do come from Texas, so we're acclimatized. We camped at Smoky Mountain NP a couple of years ago, though we didn't do any backpacking or walk much along the AT. We could do this section again, or we could do another part. Other than that trip, we've never hiked anywhere in the east or on the AT, so it's all new to us. We've only seen pictures.

Question 1: What are some suggestions for a month-longish section of the trail for June/July? I'd prefer that it 1) was not the hottest section of the trail, 2) was not the hardest section of the trail since we won't be in the best shape, 3) is a really pretty part of the trail that we can really enjoy hiking through, and 4) is not super remote so that we can carry less food with us to reduce some weight.

Question 2: When suggesting, if you know, could you also mention the normal temps in that section during the summer? I'm trying to think about gear (sleeping bag temps) and clothes (is a down puffy necessary? long pants and base layer?). We have lots of camping and hiking gear, but the kids don't have much lightweight enough for backpacking, so I'm almost starting from scratch for them.

Thanks! I appreciate your help!