Folks:

Just now posting, I'm a long time lurker. I'm considering hitting the trail with my dog later this Spring. I have a couple of questions, below, but first a small envelope of info.

The dog I'll be hiking with is well trained, for both on and off trail behavior. (I refuse to go in public with a dog that doesn't have basic training and manners.) I have taken effort, and plan, to have her in good physical shape and/or "trail hardened" by the time we make the long journey to even begin the hike.

I would appreciate direct answers to the questions in the spirit of what Sgt. Rock originally envisioned for this thread. Please hold off any negativity and noxious opinion. I get it, the bigger part of the problem is with the owners, which is usually the source of dog problems. I'm looking for solutions and answers to the questions, preferably by those who have hiked the trail with their faithful companion.

1. Does one encounter as much maligned opinion about the mere presence of a dog on the trail as I find in the threads? I've talked to one or two people who hiked the trail and said they enjoyed seeing dogs on the trail. In short, is the attitude toward (well trained, restrained) dogs on the trail abusive?

2. I've taken the effort to inform myself about what I'm getting into, and I have experience with it. I'm curious about how hard is it to actually find a place to take a shower and/or spend time in/near civilization with the dog? I will need the occasional cell phone recharge, etc.

3. I'm a "hanger", use a hammock. Typically the dog sleeps leashed under my hammock, I have a system for this. Does anyone have direct experience in both these areas?

4. Has anyone ever had their dog (or pack/gear) stolen? I often have to tie my dog outside when I go into a store. I'm always concerned and/or cautious about how and where I leave her. I realize that town visits are necessary when long distance hiking, and I'm wondering if this is a concern on the trail.

Thank you very much for your consideration.