WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    it would seem the original article's headline is misleading to put it mildly.
    Agreed...

Is "below the Black Rock Overlook in South Mountain State Park." not on the AT? I am not familiar with the area.

If the body was not actually found on the treadway It should not be considered found "on" the AT.

If within a few hundred yards of trail, maybe it could be listed as "near" the AT.

I hope they can identify the remains however

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    Agreed...

Is "below the Black Rock Overlook in South Mountain State Park." not on the AT? I am not familiar with the area.

If the body was not actually found on the treadway It should not be considered found "on" the AT.

If within a few hundred yards of trail, maybe it could be listed as "near" the AT.

I hope they can identify the remains however
    to me the fact that it was so decomposed combined with the description of the terrain it is on and my recollection of the area makes me think it was found on the bottom of a cliff that is a short ways off of the AT. at best. i honestly am not 100% sure the AT even goes anywhere near south mountain state park or if there are any trails that connect the two

there are no cliffs on or even especially close to the AT near there

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    to me the fact that it was so decomposed combined with the description of the terrain it is on and my recollection of the area makes me think it was found on the bottom of a cliff that is a short ways off of the AT. at best. i honestly am not 100% sure the AT even goes anywhere near south mountain state park or if there are any trails that connect the two

there are no cliffs on or even especially close to the AT near there

The AT run smack through South Mountain SP just north of I-70.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

seems its closer to the AT then i thought but still not on the AT and sounds like someone fell off the cliff.

funny, the trail description at this link mentions the turn off not being as evident from the south. i guess thats how i have no recall of it, i was headed north. too bad. seems like it would have been a nice place to stop at. maybe i do hike too fast after all.

https://www.hikingupward.com/OMH/Ann...lackRockCliff/

++ New Posts ++