WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CT, NY & NJ in October Several Questions

I am having a harder time finding info from first hand experiences then I did for the southern portions of the trail. I can read Guthooks and my data book but that doesn't give reviews, or a gist of how the trail is/ what to expect.

First 2 weeks of October - Salisbury, CT sobo for 14 days.

Expected Mileage - 206 miles to DWG.

Flying into Hartford, CT from Nashville, TN on a late Friday night flight. Hotel in Hartford, shuttle pickup sat morning to Salisbury.

2 weeks later, George Lightcap (The Bead Man), has agreed that due to the length of trip, and all of our possible ending spots being in his shuttle range, we can work out the specific pickup point a day or 2 before the end of the trip. He will pick us up and drive us to Newark Airport for an evening 8pm flight...Back to Nashville, TN by 9pm.

So logistics are figured out, and I feel pretty good about that aspect of the trip.

Weather looks amazing, day temps in the 60s low 70s...Nights getting down in the 30-40s. From the heat map it looks like we could see some almost peak fall colors during this time?

I have a feeling the terrain is not going to be as easy as the profiles reflect it to be? Looks like the there are only a couple climbs over 1000k, with an average of 500-800ft.

I am having trouble finding a good nero day for resupply and motel at about 90-100 miles in...Any help there would be appreciated.

Any near trail attractions that include food, beer or a nice place to stay are appreciated.

I am a tent dweller vs shelter guy, enjoy tenting by water but don't have to, any stretched with good tent sites, especially right outside of towns would be nice to know in advance (Ex Boiling Springs, PA - Setup camp outside of town, go in for beer and pizza, head back to camp).

Thank in advance!
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 07-19-2017 at 15:08.
    Trail Miles: 5,125.9
    AT Map 1: Completed 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: Completed 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: Completed 23-24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(16.8%)
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

++ New Posts ++