I would like to finish Hanover to Franconia Notch during that time period, and possibly even part or all of the traverse north of Franconia Notch. I would likely be hiking Southbound from car to car (hiking south to go north...), so bailouts would be pretty easy if needed. I have hiked a lot of my 1800ish miles in winter conditions, but the Kinsmans and the Franconia traverse seem to be quite a step up from the Killington area, Southern MA/Northern CT, NJ/NY, TN/NC (including the high Smokies), and Virginia. I have experienced an ascent of Mt. Washington, and have completed Northern NH/Southern Maine, so I know that the terrain is difficult even without snow/ice/slush/monorail, etc. OK, here are my questions:

1) Is most of the section generally clear of snow now? I don't mind a few inches of snow/ice. and will be bringing microspikes and trekking poles, at least. I expect that Moosilauke to the north WILL have significant snow/ice now, but this may mostly melt in the next couple weeks.

2) What terrain can be hiked in early May with microspikes, as opposed to snowshoes, ice axe and crampons? I'd be willing to snowshoe, but would not really want to learn how to use an ice axe on the fly...

3) Is this just a really really bad idea? Keep in mind that I only have 70 mlles left to do south of New Hampshire, I have a lot of time available to hike until mid-June, and would like to finish the trail by then. Northern Maine would need to be hiked in early June, but I could pick off a few particularly difficult sections of the Whites then as well. I have hiked about 200 miles in the past four weeks, so I am somewhat conditioned, but definitely could be in better shape...

Brutally honest answers from locals are appreciated!

Thanks!