WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Black Bear

Bears are opportunists so this story doesn't surprise me and actually it wouldn't concern me all that much. If I happen to die on the trail of other causes, I pretty much assume that I'm going to be consumed in some manner until found. Either it will be insects or a bear. I'd probably prefer a bear, not that it would matter. Nature is a tough place and survival is competitive. It would be ridiculous to think that a bear would stumble across an edible deceased food source, human or otherwise, and pass it up. This is far removed behavior from actually hunting humans and I don't worry about that at all with black bears.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I am anti hunting but also not a vegetarian. I like to eat meat. I think I am anti hunting mostly due to the fear of accidentally getting shot. I live in the woods for most of my life, but the wilderness areas around me have shrunken to the point wear a bullet can easily pass from on end to the other.

I would consider myself an animal lover. I like pets. I guess some wild animals can be trained or bonds between people and any given normally un-domesticatable animal can and do occur as shown above. That bear looks cute.

I believe an apex predator's nature is to be an apex predator. I'm still not going to hunt them.

I don't blame the bear in the story above either if the original assumptions are valid.

If you watch enough those Alaska wilderness shows it is pretty clear you do need to maintain a vigil lent defense.

I hope I haven't totally contradicted myself.

White bears scary, brown bears scary, black bears cute but one should be wary.

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    Love the info on bears. Seems after reading a lot of journals that very few people actually encounter bears on the AT. I'm planning the AT for 2016 and the only things that eat you here, Australia, are in the water so bears are a little outside my comfort zone.
    I've seen 6 this year at different places along the AT between NY and VA but typically they run in the opposite direction as soon as they sensed my presence. The rattler I ran into was a different story. He stood his ground
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

I'm planning a 1000 mile hike May-Aug, 2016. I'm doing lots of research, conditioning, gear testing, etc. I feel that I am doing everything I can to prepare myself for the trail. So how do I get over my fear of bears? I will follow some of the advice above and check out http://www.friendsofwri.com/show-your-support-video and http://www.bear.org/website/introduc...nn-rogers.html . Any other suggestions?

The statistics show that the fear is not justified. That fact is completely irrelevant. A hike is supposed to be fun. Carry bear spray as a security blanket. Know how to use it. Have it handy. The spray is not needed. The peace that comes with it is needed.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

You could think of them like a roller coaster-- safe, but scary. Then embrace the adrenaline rush.

Probably worth remembering that when you hear something that sounds like bear in the middle of the night, the odds are VERY high that it is a critter no larger than an opossum. And if you hear an opossum sized critter it's probably really something he size of a squirrel.

If you do see or hear a bear, you have a good story. They represent virtually zero risk on the AT.

rickb is absolutely correct and gives good advice. So is every person that marginalizes the risk. There really is such a microscopic risk that it is not worth worrying about. However, the more I hear this type of thing debated, the more I am convinced that this is one time that facts are less relevant. It is a fact that you will not win a fight with a bear. That does not matter because you will not be fighting a bear. It is a fact that a bear cannot win when you deploy bear spray properly. Again, that fact is irrelevant because you will never use the spray. What matters is what gives you more comfort. For most, that will be not carrying the dead weight of spray. For others, it will be the peace of mind of having a winning defense. The correct answer is what makes you comfortable.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

So many people say they have hiked the AT for years and never saw a bear. I saw one 5 hours into my first day, so you never know. And as most often reported, I saw only its rump as it ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    What matters is what gives you more comfort. For most, that will be not carrying the dead weight of spray. For others, it will be the peace of mind of having a winning defense. The correct answer is what makes you comfortable.
    Very true. Think of it like choosing auto, home, or health insurance. A big part of what you're paying for is the peace of mind knowing you are doing what you can do to manage your risks to a level that is acceptable to you.

Journal Entries

Reality check time.

I have had encounter with bears myself. However, I treat them with respect. They are still wild animals and deserve caution. I also remember a certain movie where the person said "I would die for these bears" and he certainly did. He was killed by them. I have no fear but would be ready if one did try to attack. Most times they run the other way and I'm glad.

That was Tim Treadwell and he was killed by a Kodiak brown bear. I have seen bears on three-quarters of my trips through GSMNP and Shenandoah. I've also had a couple of very close encounters. Knowing what to do makes all the difference. That said, I carry spray and it's not just for bears.

Treadwell got so close to the beautiful creatures he loved. You could easily see the fascination and respect in his films. Doug Peacock has also done some important research and written at least one fine, entertaining book on bears and their human predicament. I am several years removed from following those who follow bears.
    Forgive me if it's already been said but that can of bear spray is mostly a symbolic safety blanket and will likely sooner be used against those who walk on two legs rather than four if truly being used to defend your life.

Treadwell got so close to the beautiful creatures he loved. You could easily see the fascination and respect in his films. Doug Peacock has also done some important research and written at least one fine, entertaining book on bears and their human predicament. I am several years removed from following those who follow bears.
    Forgive me if it's already been said but that can of bear spray is mostly a symbolic safety blanket and will likely sooner be used against those who walk on two legs rather than four if truly being used to defend your life.

Black bears are not in the state of Indiana, but apparently they are making a comeback, based on footprints and scat. Personally, I think those prints belong to a bigfoot, but if they say it's a black bear, who am I to argue

http://news.yahoo.com/black-bear-spo...213351835.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Black bears are not in the state of Indiana, but apparently they are making a comeback, based on footprints and scat. Personally, I think those prints belong to a bigfoot, but if they say it's a black bear, who am I to argue

http://news.yahoo.com/black-bear-spo...213351835.html
    Actually, come to think of it, it's probably some hoaxers with wooden carved bear paws -- bears in Indiana...that's just crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Actually, come to think of it, it's probably some hoaxers with wooden carved bear paws --y bears in Indiana...that's just crazy
    Confirmed bear sightings recently in SW MI which is very close to IN.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Confirmed bear sightings recently in SW MI which is very close to IN.
    I think it's just hoaxers in a bear suit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++