WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL Hammock gear fair weather summer list, finally getting there - 5.5#

Right at 5.5#
    The only thing left I have to set up is a Cuben poncho tarp for this list.

Alternatively, I am now building a double 5'x12' M50 hammock that weighs 10oz but takes a longer tarp.

Could make that a long Cuben hex tarp and a Cuben Parcho to have a separate rain gear and tarp and ditch the emer poncho and I would be at 5.8#.

Skip the 6oz pad and use a M50 2.5 apex quilt and would be at 6.2# but would probably run out of room in the 20L pack for any food.

Think Iwill sew on a mesh back pocket to the 20L pack for my tiny cook gear and tarp etc.

PACK
    Terra Nova 20L Cuben 4oz
    Dry Bag 1oz

SHELTER
    CUBEN PONCHO TARP 6oz
    5 Stakes 1oz
    Cord 1oz

SLEEPING
    M50/Silk 1.8 PL QUILT/PONCHO 9oz
    Large 1/8 Pad 6oz

Grand Trunk Ultralight 9oz
    5' whoopies 5/8 Mule tape suspension 4oz
    Hammock Bug Net 10oz

COOKING AND WATER
    Fosters kit with DX wood stove and spoon 3.3oz
    Cuben Food bag and cord 2oz

2 1L bottle 2oz
    Aquamira tablets .5oz

PACKED CLOTHES
    Silk Shirt 4oz
    Fleece Beanie .9oz
    Fleece mitts 1.2oz
    Spare socks pair 2oz ea

Stoic Cardigan 7.6oz
    Zpacks Down Hood 1.3oz

Frog Toggs Emer Poncho 2.8oz
    Tyvek Rain Chaps 2oz

UTIL EVRYDAY MED AND EMER 7oz

AT 2012

i don't think you would ever need the bug net AND the down hood on the same trip... not to mention the mitts and beanie. if you want insurance during a little colder time you might consider just bringing a head net instead of the full bug net. Also, when you do bring the hood and mitts and beanie i would think that the pad might be too thin to keep you warm. and if you are bringing the frogg togg poncho, does it still make sense to have your tarp have the poncho feature? ...i do admire your list, and do also feel the call of zpacks -- but have resisted so far.
    Lazarus

The extra stuff is mostly for insurance, but realistically this is for summer where night time temps would be 60 and above.

In that case if I was really sure the temps would not go lower than 60dF I could just leave the down jacket at home and the down hood and probably a few other odds and ends.

If I only took a head net I would end up under 5# which is super light for a hammock setup.

Yes the pad is too thin except for summer, but I am thinking the emergency poncho could be used for an emergency garlington Taco.
    I included the emergency poncho to have something to wear while setting up in the rain since my real rain gear would be my shelter.

It can also be used to extend a shelter cover gear pack cover etc.

Generally I think its safest to keep sleeping gear and outerwear separate and shelter and rain gear separate, but when its 60-70dF at night I am not so concerned.

I have bought some minor stuff from Zpacks and got inspired to try a Terra Nova 20L Laser elite after watching the videos of Loner making an AT thru hike with one. I actually bought the regular elite 20L Laser on sale for cheap just to see if it would hold minimal summer gear for 3-4 days. That pack weighs 7.6oz and Its very tight but is doable but it is a tiny pack with nothing much on the outside except two side pockets that wont even hold a normal 1L water bottle.

I was debating on keeping it then I found the cuben model over on BPL for $62 so I snagged it and sent the other one back. The cuben model weighs 3.5-3.8oz. Its definitely getting a mesh panel on the back though and that will actually make it more useable.

I already have a sil extended 5x9 poncho tarp that weighs 9oz and I also have a cat cut sil 13' tadpole knockoff tarp that weighs 12.6oz with all the lines, biners and stuff sack. That would drive the weight up a tad, but not by much depending.

I have 3 driduck emergency ponchos and am thinking about eventually taking two of those and making a Parcho out of that and trying it out.
    I have a pattern coming from quest so will see what I can put together.

AT 2012

I do find that a dry ducks Pancho modified as by JRB is hugely helpful in adding warm, without fooling around with the leaf stuffing thing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Lazarus

Yes, I looked that up. I had similar thought of doing a multifunction piece of gear from 1.25oz tyvek but never got around to it.

Also to add - all that gear in my list only with a campmor tarp above adds up to about $670.

Loner was able to do the AT with that tiny pack, a tadpole tarp, WL 20dF UQ, a Summerlite bag and a GT nano hammock and later switched to an GT ultralight hammock when the nano ripped. I think his base wt was about 9#.

Good list, and I appreciate the detail you've given, got me interested in looking at hammocking again.

More realistic..
    60dF Setup similar above with long hammock, long sil tarp, Ultra pack, with a down vest, no cuben - 6#
    45dF setup similar to above with 2.5 aoex climashield TQ, 3/4 Down 30dF UQ, 20L pack (if it will fit with your food etc) - 7#, 7.5# with a stripped out jam II
    30dF setup add $250 worth of long cuben tarp, 5 Apex quilt in a Stripped out JamII - 8#
    15-20dF setup, heavier jacket, 7+- apex TQ , WL 20dF quilt and pad, Zpacks Arc Blast 60L pack etc more $ - 9.5#

I am not one to ever recommend bringing extra clothing, but do you sleep almost naked when your clothes get soaked due to rain/sweat/washing?

The 60dF list is not a thru list, IE its mostly a 2-3 day hard core list so sleep in whatever.

My 45dF list has silk johns in it.

If I was expecting to wash I would take either a driducks suit or a tyvek top and bottom.
    For instance I just bought one of those tyvek environmental full suits with a hood for $7 off Amazon. 2nd one.
    Cut it apart and have a pull over water resistant wind shirt top with hood that weighs 3oz for a XXL.
    The lower could be made into chaps or bottoms although fragile
    Of course chaps might not work for washing - LOL.
    Those suits run about 1-2 sizes to small for layering.

Down to sub 5#.
    This is really only an overnight or 2 day pack.

PACK
    Terra Nova 20L Cuben 4oz
    Dry Bag 1oz

SHELTER
    CUBEN TARP 7oz - dont have it yet.
    Stakes 1oz
    Zpacks Cord 1.5oz

SLEEPING
    M50/Silk 1.8 PL QUILT/PONCHO 9oz
    Large 1/8 Pad 6oz

Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammock 8.5oz
    5' whoopies 5/8 Mule tape suspension 4oz
    Hammock Bug Net 8oz - reworked it

COOKING AND WATER
    Fosters kit esbit 2.5oz
    Small Cuben Food bag and cord 2oz

2L platy 1.2oz
    Aquamira tablets .5oz

PACKED CLOTHES
    Silk Shirt 4oz
    Fleece Beanie 1oz
    Spare socks pair 2oz ea
    Down Vest 6oz
    Frog Toggs Parcho 4oz
    Tyvek Rain Chaps 2oz

UTIL EVERYDAY MED AND EMER 6oz

Check out Papasmurf at dreamhammocks.com. I purchased a Darian UL Hammock that comes in at 13.46oz. This includes the hammock, whoopie dutch TI hook suspension, bug net and stuff sac. I use a modified Hamock Gear Cuban fly that comes in at 5.6oz with pullouts and dutch TI flz. Total weight is 19oz and for warm weath I just use a gossamer gear nitelite torso pad that weights 4.6oz and pulls double duty to structure my pack. If I need extra insalation I throw my bag under my legs. Once I get down below 60 that's when I usually break out my UQ.

That is light but I am too heavy for that hammock.

I have 8 yards of M50 sitting here and intend to make a double layer M50 hammock.
    5x10 will weigh 8 oz. My suspension is 4 oz. Fronky bug net should be 4 oz and a Cuben tarp 6 oz. Makes my total 22 oz but I will have a double layer hammock which I prefer for pads. M50 weighs 1.4 oz per SY for both layers.

If your using an UL Grand trunk you should be fine with the Darien. I think the weight limits are about the same. But if you factor in going double layer your probably going to be close to the weight your looking at with your DIY. Another thing to consider is if your going to make a double layer and use pads you may be better off with going single layer and using a 3/4 UQ. You'll get better insalation and a more comfortable sleep for about the same weight penalties maybe even less. It looks like your going to gain about 8oz with your double layer and that's not including your pad which would be between another 4.7oz on up. Thats around 13oz give or take. Adam at Hammock Gear has UQ that start around 9oz if i remember correctly. The weights he has posted on his site are inaccurate. They are actually about 3oz lighter because he started using a new outer shell material. I just got a Phoniex that's rated to 15 degrees that comes in at 16.1oz and that includes the stuff sack.

The Darien single layer is rated for 200#. The GT ultralight is rated for 250#. I am 230-240 right now and I dont find a 1.1 single layer very comfortable so its out.

Dont know what a M50 double is good for.

I already have a 1.1 double layer hammock.

The weight of M50 is .7 oz per sq yard or doubled it is 1.4 oz so a double layer M50 5x10 hammock will weigh 8oz or slightly less not including the suspension.

Pad is only for when I want to go SUL in the summer without a UQ so will carry a 1/16th pad or for an extender.

I already have a down UQ.

Wow thats light for a 15dF UQ.
    I will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonryu View Post
    If your using an UL Grand trunk you should be fine with the Darien. I think the weight limits are about the same. But if you factor in going double layer your probably going to be close to the weight your looking at with your DIY. Another thing to consider is if your going to make a double layer and use pads you may be better off with going single layer and using a 3/4 UQ. You'll get better insalation and a more comfortable sleep for about the same weight penalties maybe even less. It looks like your going to gain about 8oz with your double layer and that's not including your pad which would be between another 4.7oz on up. Thats around 13oz give or take. Adam at Hammock Gear has UQ that start around 9oz if i remember correctly. The weights he has posted on his site are inaccurate. They are actually about 3oz lighter because he started using a new outer shell material. I just got a Phoniex that's rated to 15 degrees that comes in at 16.1oz and that includes the stuff sack.

++ New Posts ++