WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I polished the bottom of a can ,( with Brasso a metal cleaner) , and had a test run.Did not work for me but the sun is very pale at the moment.
    I get a similar concentrated beam to the one you get with a magnifying glass (blingdingly bright) but had no luck on getting a flame.
    I will try again...

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I polished the bottom of a can ,( with Brasso a metal cleaner) , and had a test run.Did not work for me but the sun is very pale at the moment.
    I get a similar concentrated beam to the one you get with a magnifying glass (blingdingly bright) but had no luck on getting a flame.
    I will try again...
    What are you using as your ignition tinder? Just curious.

The goal is not a flame but a coal. Once you have the coal you can use this to get your tinder ignited. Having seen primitive fire made I would be satisfied with a video just showing the creation of the coal since once you have a coal the rest is elementary (it's a completely different set of skills to get the coal to ignite the tinder and success at that point is neither certain nor 100% repeatable). I'm not on either side of this debate. I just want to see it work
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Zelph... will have to be patient.
    I'm being patient.

I'm waiting on all of you patiently.

No uninterrupted video or it didn't happen

In order for this to work the bottom of your can will have to be a parabola. A parabola has very specific angle measurements causing the reflection of the light source to be in one spot from all point on the reflector. I doubt that any beer or soda can has a bottom that can be used as a parabolic reflector. Like Zelph I'll have to see it to believe it.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

Well Zelph this is the busy season... I am working some 10 hour days... hang in there..
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    In order for this to work the bottom of your can will have to be a parabola. A parabola has very specific angle measurements causing the reflection of the light source to be in one spot from all point on the reflector. I doubt that any beer or soda can has a bottom that can be used as a parabolic reflector. Like Zelph I'll have to see it to believe it.
    just because it's here.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabola

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    A parabola (/pəˈræbələ/; plural parabolas or parabolae, adjective parabolic, from Greek: παραβολή) is a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve, which is approximately U-shaped when oriented as shown in the diagram, but which can be in any orientation in its plane. It fits any of several superficially different mathematical descriptions which can all be proved to define curves of exactly the same shape.

A parabola (/pəˈræbələ/; plural parabolas or parabolae, adjective parabolic, from Greek: παραβολή) is a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve, which is approximately U-shaped when oriented as shown in the diagram, but which can be in any orientation in its plane. It fits any of several superficially different mathematical descriptions which can all be proved to define curves of exactly the same shape.
    third times a charm when you can't edit...and just learned to highlight a quote...ugh!

Images

I've built several reflecting telescopes with parabolic mirrors. A can bottom could be used as a parabolic mirror (theoretically), but the focal length would be very short and the surface is so small that it would be difficult to generate enough heat to ignite tinder. Conditions would have to be near perfect. It is also not the ideal shape to focus light as you need enough of the light focused at the focal point to generate sufficient heat, and can bottoms are not likely that uniform in shape. Much of the light is likely lost, reflecting in slightly different directions. Also, any imperfections in the surface would further reduce the amount of light focused, and therefore the amount of heat produced so your can would need to have very few imperfections in the surface.

You actually would be trying to ignite the tinder, not generate a coal. The focused light is the "coal", and the char cloth (or whatever material is used) would be the tinder.

I'm not saying its impossible, in fact I'm confident it can and probably has been done, but it would be difficult. And overall, it would not be very practical, as you would lose your surface the moment you placed your can on the fire. Then you would have to clean the soot off, and spend all that time repolishing it for the next time, and wait for ideal conditions to try to start another fire.

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
    I've built several reflecting telescopes with parabolic mirrors. A can bottom could be used as a parabolic mirror (theoretically), but the focal length would be very short and the surface is so small that it would be difficult to generate enough heat to ignite tinder. Conditions would have to be near perfect. It is also not the ideal shape to focus light as you need enough of the light focused at the focal point to generate sufficient heat, and can bottoms are not likely that uniform in shape. Much of the light is likely lost, reflecting in slightly different directions. Also, any imperfections in the surface would further reduce the amount of light focused, and therefore the amount of heat produced so your can would need to have very few imperfections in the surface.

You actually would be trying to ignite the tinder, not generate a coal. The focused light is the "coal", and the char cloth (or whatever material is used) would be the tinder.

I'm not saying its impossible, in fact I'm confident it can and probably has been done, but it would be difficult. And overall, it would not be very practical, as you would lose your surface the moment you placed your can on the fire. Then you would have to clean the soot off, and spend all that time repolishing it for the next time, and wait for ideal conditions to try to start another fire.
    I've have absolutely no doubt everything you said is true....and in there lie the fun

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post

Devil's advocate here: wouldn't you be just trying to get a bright red cherry on your char cloth and then transfer this to your tinder bundle? I'm not sure I've seen folks getting char cloth to ignite as in "flame." Maybe we're saying the same thing...

Images

Just for the sake of argument, what if it does work? What then? At best it's a neat trick when conditions are PERFECT, but it will never be a reliable ignition source for your stove or a camp fire in real trail conditions. Flint and steel - as in a mini-Bic lighter - is my go to fire starter. Just sayin...
    Biggie

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie Master View Post
    Just for the sake of argument, what if it does work? What then? At best it's a neat trick when conditions are PERFECT, but it will never be a reliable ignition source for your stove or a camp fire in real trail conditions. Flint and steel - as in a mini-Bic lighter - is my go to fire starter. Just sayin...
    Of course, you're exactly right. F&S is my go to fire starter, especially when the mini-Bic gets wet and won't light But it would be so very COOL to say you did it. This is for the sheer "that's awesome" factor.

Well, you could make a solar cooker out of it, and melt some M&M's, and dip those little oyster crackers in it...maybe even invite a friend over for some kitty fondue, and show your new finagled easy bake oven.....or not

but according to Zelph you'd be the only one to ever post such a video, you'd be an overnight

"wiley coyote super genius" meep meep
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-23-2013 at 01:06. Reason: M&M's

Images

but according to Zelph you'd be the only one to ever post such a video, you'd be an overnight

"wiley coyote super genius" meep meep
    I think I can rig the camera angle and set the lighting just right to put together a believable video... They'll never see the fishing line, pool chemicals, or diesel fuel...
    Biggie

I think I can rig the camera angle and set the lighting just right to put together a believable video... They'll never see the fishing line, pool chemicals, or diesel fuel...
    funny, I was thinking a model rocket igniter imbedded in some hemp oakum...devious minds think alike

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    Devil's advocate here: wouldn't you be just trying to get a bright red cherry on your char cloth and then transfer this to your tinder bundle? I'm not sure I've seen folks getting char cloth to ignite as in "flame." Maybe we're saying the same thing...
    Actually, with char cloth, you are correct.

Journal Entries
    Images

Farmer is correct... still works.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well I was finishing up another alcohol stove and removing the paint off the can with 000 steel wool... I looked and looked again at that curved bottom and polished it up...
    The Owl says he used 000 steel wool to polish the can bottom. How many of you have gotten your can to have a mirror finish with 000 steel wool?

The chocalate bar and wrapper makes me giggle. Actually makes me LMAO

you'd have better luck with a magnifying glass....
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++