WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

WOW when I was a kind and in scouts our scout masters would have had out butts for doing that. I can assure you we wouldn't have been going anywhere until it and most likely the entire shelter was spotless. Then for the rest of the year we probably would have been "volunteered" to clean the rest of them. If something like that surfaced even now. 20 years later I wouldn't be surprised if they hunted us down and made us go clean it! I guess that's what happens when your scoutmaster and at least two if the assistant scoutmasters were combat vets. We learned a massive amount of stuff from them through. Reading my God son's cub scout and now boy scout hand books it amazes me how PC has even affected scouting. Talking to one of his scoutmasters the mans will almost seemed broken from dealing with parents and PC BS. Its such a shame.

I will admit that when I was in Scouts we did add our names in ink to a shelter (not on the AT) that was already full of graffiti.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) one of the ASM saw that we had done this and the following two weekends we were back at the shelter filling in all of the names carved into the shelter with wood putty and then repainting it.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by BadLatitude View Post
    WOW when I was a kind and in scouts our scout masters would have had out butts for doing that. I can assure you we wouldn't have been going anywhere until it and most likely the entire shelter was spotless. Then for the rest of the year we probably would have been "volunteered" to clean the rest of them. If something like that surfaced even now. 20 years later I wouldn't be surprised if they hunted us down and made us go clean it! I guess that's what happens when your scoutmaster and at least two if the assistant scoutmasters were combat vets. We learned a massive amount of stuff from them through. Reading my God son's cub scout and now boy scout hand books it amazes me how PC has even affected scouting. Talking to one of his scoutmasters the mans will almost seemed broken from dealing with parents and PC BS. Its such a shame.
    Well, I'm an Assistant Scout Master, and if our boys had done something like this, we would have made them clean all the graffiti off at least that same surface, if not the whole shelter. Have to finesse the parents a bit, but if they know you are consistent and tough, they aren't too bad.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++