WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chafing

Images

I also find that hiking au natural (insert French accent) allows greater air flow into the regions and allows me to stay drier. In temps that don't require laying that is. My legs like for many don't need as much protection as my torso as well.

Images

As a former big buy with big legs (used to be a powerlifter/bodybuilder), years ago, I used to get horrendous chafing between my thighs and also on my backside. I can echo what others have done....I used Desinex to stop the pain, butI really needed something preventative and not smell so fishy (Beaudreaux's Butt Paste doesn't smell fishy). For a while, I tried Bodyglide (I found it works well) I tried Vaseline - also works well. what really helped was I changed my wardrobe. I started hiking in running tights in coller weather and in the same style tights, but shorter in summer (bike shorts without pads). To this I added carrying a few wet wipes in a ziplock on shorter trips and cleaned up wheneverI stopped. Over time, I found this is what ultimately worked for me. I also now use the gold bond brand of silicon skin lube on my thighs, backside and also the soles of my feet and sometimes in really hot weatherm between my toes.. Good luck!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Body Glide Body Glide Body Glide Body Glide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

I am also a big guy, and I know a thing or two about chafing. I still have scars on my thighs from 20+ years ago in the Marine Corps. Freeballing, 9" Underarmor, Bodyglide--Been There, Done That. They all help, especially the Underarmor and Bodyglide. But the first step is to hand my wife the electric trimmers and have her do some manscaping. Keeping the hair trimmed allows the body to glide easier. However, do NOT use a razor. You will break out as the stubble starts coming out of the skin. The electric trimmer leaves enough stubble to prevent this, but stops the hair from acting like sandpaper as you walk.

Images

As another BIG MAN here, 6' 4", 330 lbs, I use the UA Compression shorts, 9". I also like to use the Gold Bond powder.
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On. - Jimmy Buffett

A ship at harbor is safe, yet that is not what ships are for. - J.A. Shedd

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 on Atlas and Chinmusic's posts.... I agree
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I am 330 pounds and 6'1 so I definitely know how you feel. I used to work outside doing a lot of walking and I was chafing so bad that I was bleeding. After switching to the 9 inch Under Armour Original underwear I never chafed again. I wear a XXL and they fit snug, but that is necessary so they can't move at all.

Images

Changing into dry underwear, or no underwear, to sleep is a good idea too. Something to let your groin breathe better, and thus get better. Our boxer briefs claim to wick and breath, but they sure trap an awful lot of moisture at night. A lot of powder might work okay as a substitute. Of course this may not be necessary if a kilt is used. I wish I knew. I don't have a kilt but I really want to try one later this year. I'm hoping Mountain Hardwear does another run of their kilts.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickfusco89 View Post
    I am 330 pounds and 6'1 so I definitely know how you feel. I used to work outside doing a lot of walking and I was chafing so bad that I was bleeding. After switching to the 9 inch Under Armour Original underwear I never chafed again. I wear a XXL and they fit snug, but that is necessary so they can't move at all.
    You mean these? http://www.amazon.com/Original-Boxer...inal+underwear

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigHiker View Post
    yes.......
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

something that really helped me was the short running shorts with the netting type material that "Hugs you". made a world of difference for the inside of my legs. i do not wear underwear. just not needed. but i do carry the tiny body glide sticks also just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigHiker View Post
    This is it.

Journal Entries

I just tried my exofficio boxers again today. I've lost weight and no chafing except on my backside, which is a major step in the right direction. This is good. I'll try the under armour ones next and compare! Thanks everyone.

Images

Fwiw, I heard back from Mountain Hardwear and they said they'll have another batch of kilts next month.

Like others have said, being able to clean up/wipe down and the end of the day (plus Gold Bond!) really helps. Sleeping in clean cloths at night helps too.

Journal Entries

OK... went out for 5 miles yesteray, with pack and going up and down a mountain. I had on exofficio boxers... zero chafing. All I did beforehand was put on some zeasorb. I went up a size in the boxers to xxl from xl. I'll keep trying this and report back. It was good to only have sore knees at the end! I was surprised by the results by the way.

I got my UA Touch Boxerjocks today. After reading this thread I bought 'em a size up and theyre great!

I wear compression shorts and vasaline the areas that start to chafe.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

My husband complained of the same thing all the time. So a friend and I just launched a product called Turq Swimbrief. It's like a compression short, only more lightweight (vented or pointelle for you fashion mavens) so you don't have swass or swalls. Also it is made from a seamless knitting process that is the same one they use for ladies jog bras. We are only available online and in one store in CTl (Outdoor Traders in Greenwich). www.turqswim.com. Upside is that it is also made for swimming so you can wear it under your boardshorts in the kayaks, SUP or fishing. If you like us, then "like" us on Facebook too....www.facebook.com/turqswim Best of luck boys...we are doing what we can to keep you happy. Love to hear feedback from the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    Body glide.
    yep........good stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++