WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reasons for SOBO to not finish their hike

Moosky here. Just to prepare myself for the downside and hedge for the unknowns, what are the most common reasons for SOBO thru hikers to give up on their hike?

At first, the same reasons NOBOs go home before the first month is up. SOBO's also have the challenge of dealing with some difficult trail right off, often when it's still muddy and buggy out. Then later on as fall and winter set in, the short days, cold and bad weather. At least, that would be my guess.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Section hikers that slowing them down by wanting to talk to them?

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are looking for solitude you will find it on a SOBO hike. Than it amounts to how much of being alone you can take. Going SOBO once all the NOBO hikers pass you and the summer ends the trail get's quite desolated. Before you finish your thru the weather will change to much cooler, you will experience cold rainy days. Most of all the days will be very short so you will spend a lot of time in the dark alone. This may be your cup of tea, but for a lot of folks it get's old quite fast.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Section hikers that slowing them down by wanting to talk to them?
    Remove *that*
    Drat!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Remove *that*
    Drat!
    I got it, very funny
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

The same things that stops NOBOs from continuing--injuries, money, missing home, getting bored. In addition to that, loneliness is a big issue as the hike wears on.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

I was quite lonely - the weather became cold and gray - not indian summer like it is now - I went through days of gray wet clouds in TN and NC - - nobody much on the trail - - it's a little bigger clan now, but there isn't much of a SOBO crowd - - if you're not running with them, I suppose you could get bored, tired, and lonely but I think most of the SOBOS that do quit, quit early just like NOBOS - - mainly because for (for whatever reason) they underestimated how hard a thru-hike really is.

Journal Entries

Alot of SoBos that i talked to were surprised that Springer was not like K. When I met them in NH and Maine the look they had after finding out that Springer is a wooded hilltop really said it all. I tried to build them up and explain that it was more about the journey. But most of the SoBos i met I think were generally surprised that there was not a climactic climb awaiting them like K. I would not be surprised if some drop out for that reason. I bet negative NoBo hikers also play a factor in some SoBo dropouts. Shame, but i bet it happens.

++ New Posts ++