WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Planning Timeline for SOBO June 2014

Hello ya'll! I'm planning to start a SOBO hike in mid-June of 2014. I want to finish in early December. This plan is reasonable in terms of time, weather, etc., right?

Does anyone have a good timeline of how I should be spending my next two years in preparation? As in, "book the campsite at Baxter by this date," and "make sure you have all your equipment planned out no later than x-number of months in advance," or "have your food planned this far in advance"?

I feel like I have plenty of time to plan, but I don't want to sit back relaxing through it and then realize that I need to get everything done in a rush.

The best way to prepare is to get out there and do some hikes, if you haven't already. Not just weekend outings but go out for a week or more and practice the things you will do on a thru-hike, like sleeping in shelters (or not!), and going to town for a resupply. You'll find out so much by actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    You'll find out so much by actually doing it.
    Exactly.
    Are you near any long trail? How much backpacking have you done? Can you make it to a Gathering?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

SOBO is a different beast than NOBO. You can get away with no planning NOBO with the outfitter a few days away, and all the hostels, trail magic, and towns awaiting your arrival with baited breath. Not so in Maine. You do need to plan. SOBO is more of a solitary journey with more self sufficiency needed.

I have a series on NOBO vs SOBO on my blog. It might help you with some basics to start.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I fully agree with everyone about going out for a 3 or 4 day hike at least once. Most everyone's advice on the board to get the lightest pack/tent/bag, and stay under ~25lbs with food and gear is exactly what your plans should include. It's hard to fully appreciate the huge benefits of "expensive" light gear until you hike at least 30 miles with it, but the cost of buying mediocre gear and then upgrading later amounts to way more.

For my 2013 SOBO I am planning the first 200 miles of resupplies ahead of time. Which is mostly estimating my daily miles and trying to find town stops that fit those. The one-hundred mile wilderness I am giving myself 13 days for, with a food drop around day 6. I don't think it will take nearly 13 days to hike the wilderness, but why plan to rush?

- Good luck -

++ New Posts ++