WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Been hitting the treadmill at the gym,10 miles in just under 3 hrs,plus 6300 ft according to the incline counter
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

Default Slackpacker

WELL I AINT A KID ANYMORE . I AM WORKING TILL I LEAVE. FINDING TIME TO WORK OUT OR JUST DOING IT IS GETTING PAST BY ,ALTHOUGH I DID WALK ON MY TREAD MILL 15 MIN YESTERDAY(first time this week). I NEED TO BE WORKING DAILY. I CHECK THESE THREADS DAILY HAHA. WORKING ON MY GEAR ,READING BOOKS, ARTICLES ,and BUYING STUFF.

GET YOUR LAZY BUTT IN GEAR .START WALKING!!!!! LESS THAN 2 MONTHS TILL START

10 miles on a dog sled, 2 miles cross country skiing today. Nt to mention carrying two 40 pound buckets all over the kennel for feeding twice a day.

Less then a month til my crew hits the trail. Think about it most of the day

I let my chickens out of their pen then chase them back in for the next two hours. I dont go far but I do go sideways a lot.

Half hour on le stair master and doing normal stretches/workouts daily. Also walking around for work all day i fear my boots will be warn out quickly!

I started my work out plan to get in shape on Saturday. I started to walk 2 miles on the weekends and a lot more during the week while at work. I am going to increase the distance after a while and then wear a loaded pack to make it harder.

Images

Did a 9 mile loop of the Buckeye Trail in OH with 30lbs. pack on Saturday and today I did 5 miles on the beach with a 25lbs. pack (sand was a pain in the...).

next couple days I'll take my 5500 cubic inch pack and load it with 60 lbs. and go hike some hills. yes, yes, y.e.s.
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

Ive been hiking the Foothills Trail as often as I can. Mainly up to A1 to A4 then back to A1. Right now its about a day and a half hike just because the day is so short.

Now that I've sold all my stuff I just go for a walk every day. How long? Whatever feels right. So far only 3 consecutive days at 10, 13, and 10mi. I can see this being difficult to do daily. I don't want to drive anywhere so I just walk! Tomorrow I think I'll do a shorter hike though.

I saw someone post about raven rock. I'd love to go there right now but it's about a 30-40 minute drive. I'm trying not to spend money either so no gas...

Images

Bad sinus infection has threw me way off,slowly working back up.At least the weather around here has been decent enuff to get out and walk around
    We can stop here,or we can keeep going...

I see a lot of walking and such, is there much cross training going on out there? Swimming to increase oxygen intake, basketball or soccer for aerobics and strengthening leg muscles and ankles, yoga/pilates for flexibility and core strength, weight lifting with less weight more reps, P90X, Zumba, plyometrics, I could go on...

I try to do 3 days a week of running and 3 days of cross training with 2 days usually spent playing a couple hours of soccer and one day being yoga, last day is a day of walking and stretch. I personally feel cross training and playing other sports is key to becoming a better, safer hiker. I can't speak of how many times I've almost rolled my ankles and wiped out but saved myself because of my super great balance and strong ankles.

I dunno man. I just can't bring myself to do any other regular exercise besides walking. I just can't stick with it. Everyone's different, I have weak knees so hopefully easy walking will strengthen them. On the other hand though I've never rolled an ankle that think has been sideways and been fine. Weird...

Luv it! Except for the krispy kremes, it seems that you and I have the same training program

Images

Default Shoulder and Posture

for hiking i walk or bike, but for carrying a pack this is a great shoulder exercise http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...arDeltRow.html especially if your on a $2000 budget
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I did about 5 yesterday with my roomate and something around 20 FL miles with a full pack today. Would have gone for 30 but I woke up too late... I don't care if it's Feb, it was hot out!

I've been doing ~10mi hikes locally. I'm not too worried, because I was doing 17mi in the smokies last year within a few weeks of starting. I'm more worried about rebuilding my calluses than anything. The last thing I need is blisters right off the bat.

Images

I've documented all of my prep. hikes in my AT blog, you can see what trails I've hiked with weight/temp. at followingblazes.blogspot.com
    No worries; we're here to learn.
    My ink trail.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++