WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    So ...you are in a restaurant letting folks pet your dog while telling them that usually they shouldn't pet a service dog?

I wouldn't be surprised if the management asked you to leave.
    I will only allow people to approach him after making sure that I'm in an environment where he can be distracted, due to a very low risk of me needing him. I don't know what your experiences are with service dogs, but for the most part, the ones I've known tend to revert to "pet mode" either when their owner gives them permission or when their vest is taken off. They're dogs, not machines, and socialization and affection are still important for them even though they have a job to do.

As I said, I prefer not to impose on people and businesses whenever possible and avoid bringing him places that wouldn't welcome any other dog unless I have no choice because, although I am afforded the same legal rights as someone with, for example, a diabetes dog, I'm aware that it's not as urgent and life threatening of a need. We sit outside at almost all restaurants, and if I must go someplace where I feel he wouldn't be welcome I prepare myself ahead of time or make sure I'm with people who know my condition and can help if a situation arises. Luckily I live in a very dog friendly city where he is welcome almost everywhere.

I haven't decided how I'm going to handle GSMNP -- I will probably decide to kennel him or bring him through with me after seeing how I fare up until that point, but my hunch is that I'll be ok since the trail is far from having any resemblance to the source of my trauma.

So doesn't a PTSD dog count as emotional support?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    So doesn't a PTSD dog count as emotional support?
    It depends if their purpose is to generally keep you even-keeled or if it's to deal with panic attacks, nightmares, flashbacks, etc. brought on by triggers. A dog trained to calm a person having a panic attack is trained very similarly to dogs trained to help autistic children when they have fits (which, btw, is the most incredible thing to watch) -- basically they recognize the signs before it gets bad and then do whatever they can to calm you down, or, if you start tossing and turning like you're having a nightmare, a really good one will wake up and paw you till you're awake.

I would love to take my little buddy with me through the Smokies, but I am fortunate that my uncles live in Maggie Valley NC, and I plan on leaving the trail right before the park, spending some down time with them, and then hopefully they will be happy to doggy sit while I hike the park. They have a Yorkie, and I think it would be good for them both to have some interaction. It all depends of course, how he likes hiking. If he doesn't take to it, my brother will care for him while I am gone. And, I am an old grunt. I am probably very capable of doing 20+ miles in a day once I get accustomed to the trail, but I want to enjoy it, not rush it, and with a small dog especially, I would think you have to consider the toll doing so many miles a day would have on them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++