WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I'd rather pay a tax to see that the tax dollars I am already paying are better spent.

if my government told me to pay a tax to hike and that i had to be chipped in three places including the penis, i wood.lol.
    matthewski

chip away!
    matthewski

Images

Next to being shot at and missed, nothing is really quite as satisfying as not having to pay for yet another suggested tax! No, I wouldn't pay for a license/tax to hike...W-W

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Breaking rules like that is how NASCAR started.

Bootlegging does have that hiking ring to it..........
    It would make hiking more fun.
    Waltzing Matilda comes to mind also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INdjRCNcZj0

The hiking tax should go directly to industry of course, bacause every mile hiked is an indication that we just aren't working hard enough to screw our environment.

If such a tax was passed, then the next thread here will be on how to do "stealth hiking".

hiking tax evaders who dont report revenus from trail magic will be subject to stiff fines, peneltys and interest as well as court costs.

your thruhiking, someone subsidises your hike with a shuttle, a gift of chocolates and a free stay at their hostel. total value of your magic as estimated on schedual c would be 250 dollars of witch 12% could be taxed as gifts.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    I had to double check to see if this was in the humor forum...

I would never pay or purchase something so absurd....Geeze, who would come up with something like this??

Dont answer that. Please. I know the answer..

Graywolf
    Hunters pay for a license.
    Fishermen pay for a license.
    Offroad riders pay for a license.
    Yet hikers shouldn't...there's that elitist attitude that I missed on WB! Yep, the outdoors is just for the total purpose of hikers...why should hikers pay! And everybody on here says that thru hikers feel entitled....pot calling the kettle black?

HELL YES I WOULD BUY A STAMP!

gek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    Hunters pay for a license.
    Fishermen pay for a license.
    Offroad riders pay for a license.
    Yet hikers shouldn't...there's that elitist attitude that I missed on WB! Yep, the outdoors is just for the total purpose of hikers...why should hikers pay! And everybody on here says that thru hikers feel entitled....pot calling the kettle black?

HELL YES I WOULD BUY A STAMP!

gek
    do hunters fisherman offroaders support local trail maintainers or do trail maintenance? the point is that many of us already pay fees to clubs and organizations on top of state park fees, campsite fees(NH), as well as volunteer to do trail maintenance.Many don't, but if they did it would thwart the need for additional revenue thru license fees.Your license fees are used for different reasons, so its not the same. there are plenty of people with too many entitlement issues , I agree, but its certainly not limited to thru hikers.

Images

nope would not

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    do hunters fisherman offroaders support local trail maintainers or do trail maintenance? the point is that many of us already pay fees to clubs and organizations on top of state park fees, campsite fees(NH), as well as volunteer to do trail maintenance.Many don't, but if they did it would thwart the need for additional revenue thru license fees.Your license fees are used for different reasons, so its not the same. there are plenty of people with too many entitlement issues , I agree, but its certainly not limited to thru hikers.
    Yes, hunting and fishing license fees go back into the system. One of the reasons that you get to see so much wildlife while hiking is because of hunting organizations. Same with the fish you catch along the AT and other trails. Many clubs, hunting, fishing and offroad do maintenance projects on trails, and they all pay fees for their outdoor activities.

I don't think that most thru hikers feel entitled...but alot of people themselves on WB feel they are entitled.
    Purchasing a stamp for a one time fee each year would not bother me at all...I was also a duck hunter that bought that stamp every year to be allowed to do my hobby. No big deal.

geek

Default I do -- often

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Years ago I used to hunt ducks and for that I purchased the federal duck stamp. It's a tax that is used to improve wetlands so it helps ducks and all other creatures in the wetland. I no longer hunt ducks but I still buy the duck stamp. If they could start such a fund that would be used to improve all the hiking trails I would be willing to purchase a hiking stamp. This would only truly work if it was required for all. You want to hike the Appalachian Trail? You would be required to purchase a AT stamp. Would you support such a tax?
    Almost every time I hike in a National Park, I buy a "permit." That is essentially the same thing as a license. Anyone who stays below the rim overnight in the Grand Canyon has to buy a permit. The fees are used to maintain the park.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    I find it interesting...everyone wants to dance,nobody wants to pay the piper.
    Isn't there another forum on here somewhere complaining about the condition of the trail and shelters?
    As stated before, actual taxpayers already pay enough for all the federal programs. I would say,that anyone who is part of the 47% of the workforce that pays no federal income tax, then by all means purchase a hiking stamp.

Good God, more taxes???? Serenity now!!!

Images

No!

SMSP
    South MS Patriot

i am a duck hunter and buy the duck stamp and if you looked into where all that money actually went you would stop buying duck stamps. much rather donate money to are local hunting club to use in their own conservation efforts.

Images

For me it would depend on the details.
    And I'm sure our politicians and beaurocrats wouldn't call it a tax, instead, it would be a user's fee. You know, kind of like your driver's license renewal fee. Of course all of the payers would see it as a tax.

If I had to buy one I would. I wouldn't be one of those people out there trying to stealth camp with no license.

Like most people I'm always wary about having to pay fees, taxes, etc. and wondering if the money is actually put to good use or if it's wasted on unnecessary projects or simply put into peoples pockets.

Is there a need for licenses though? From what I've read the AT seems to get by fine with donations and volunteer work and hikers spending money on gear and in towns which helps out those various local economies. Would the trail really benefit from additional licenses or fees? I don't think so.

I am a very strong believer in limited control and regulation by government,
    substituting private enterprise and organization instead. If I could voluntarily donate
    my time or money, or both, I very likely would. If I had to do it by force of law, or do
    without, it would be a difficult choice.

Put me down under Libertarian too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++