WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stoves!

http://www.campsaver.com/minitrangia-28-t-stove-kit

or you can buy mine, in very good condition for $20.00 (you pay shipping).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I like my Coleman 442 Multifuel, for cold weather and a Super Cat other times when I am just boiling water. I don't know if there is such a thing as one stove for life, to many options and situations. I think the solution is to be flexible and be armed with knowledge for adaptability. Truth be known I have 5 or 6 stoves, like most who have camped/hiked over the years, needs, styles and desires change.

Images

Then there's the spoiler: just build a fire.

There were two hikers on my thruhike, Dumptruck and I forget the other's name, who built a small cook fire every night. They got really good at finding just enough wood to boil their water.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

I looked at stoves today in Bass Pro. Didn't buy one, just looked. The Jetboil looks like the least complicated.
    Maybe I should find me a man with a stove and flirt to get my hot water!

Images

"The Jetboil looks like the least complicated.
    Maybe I should find me a man with a stove and flirt to get my hot water! "

Both good options let me know which works better......btw I have the jetboil and love it but find myself using alchy almost all of the time.

Doc Mike
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

are any of you using stick stoves?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by general View Post
    i like the msr superfly. it will attach to other companies canisters.
    Ditto...great stove and ability to attach to different brand canisters offers a bit of flexibility! W-W

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

I've been very, very happy with my esbit / graham cracker stove / caldera cone for a few years.

Very light, cheap and does the job.

I just bought this set up. Though I have not yet used it, I expect it will be the only stove I ever need. There are threel have fuel choices with the cone. It comes with an alcohol burner. Wood is also a fuel source. I'm planning to use the Esbit option that 10-K mentions above. Esbit fuel on the graham cracker in a Caldera Sidewinder cone. (Not sure if 10-K has the sidewinder.) Everything fits in the pot. My 900ml pot has a fry pan for a top.

http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

I must add, the guys at Trail Designs are first class. REALLY helpful.

If being the most borrowed stove on a trail means the best stove then I'd say it must be my Titanium Zip. More than I can count hikers have borrowed my stove to cook a meal because the last resupply point was out of alcohol, out of cannisters, or they just ran out of fuel, blah, blah, blah. The several hikers that I've ran up on that also use some form of wood burner have told me they've had the same experience. The wood burner comes in handy when the water filter clogs and you need to boil a lot more water, or when stranded due to heavy snow and have to wait things out.

Images

I got a jetboil flash.

I used the MSR Superfly for a while (great stove). The burner was too large for my Snow Peak 900 cook set. I switched to a GigaPower.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by World-Wide View Post
    Ditto...great stove and ability to attach to different brand canisters offers a bit of flexibility! W-W
    That doesn't seem like a big deal. It's an industry standard. Any of my canister stoves will work with any other manufacturer's canister. I have yet to find a case where that isn't true.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Ok, if you were told you could only use one type of stove for the rest of your life, what would it be? And it would have to be something I could buy from backcountry.com too! LOL
    I don't think this qualifies on the second count but I'm still using a Svea 123 with a SIGG Tourist cookset.

Journal Entries
    Images

A clean Whisperlite and white gas, backed up with a bic.. I live in New England and hike in 4 seasons.
    Last edited by lemon b; 10-26-2011 at 19:50.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Newcomb View Post
    I don't think this qualifies on the second count but I'm still using a Svea 123 with a SIGG Tourist cookset.
    I ended up getting a jetboil flash. Its a good stove, just really bulky!

Images

Since the OP pushed me into this corner, I'm going to say the whisperlight international - mostly I'd burn coleman fuel (a.k.a. white gas)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Same one I've been using for 40+ years. SVEA.
    My first Svea lasted 25 years and then the saftey valve blew out....IMG_2715.JPG Don't guess I'll need a 3rd one.....

esbit- very lite, more efficient than alc. 1/2 oz morning , 1/2 oz eve = 1 oz fuel/day= hot meal, hot drink, getting easier to find. I have a cook kit that weighs 2 oz, incl pot, insulated eating dish, table cloth (lets be civilized. ) bic,stove ,pot stand ,spoon, insullated hot drink vessel. why go stoveless? when 2 oz will do the trick!!! gnome
    gnome

Images

stoveless is fine for a few days but I like coffee and hot food and going weeks without a stove (I think I've gone 4-5 days) just isn't fun for me - I have the following stoves:

1) Alcohol - homemade from old El Paso chilies can - ok for solo - kind of neat but and low-fi but limited
    2) MSR Pocket Rocket - I have 2 or three of these - pretty much my easy go-to stove for 3 season lately
    3) MSR whisperlight - my winter stove and what I carry for my gourmet backcountry creations (shaker jet version) I might still have a non-shaker jet with the pick - not sure
    4) MSR whisperlight international - same as above for missions to far away places
    5) MSR Dragonfly - simmers well but bulky and not the best stove I own for sure
    6) MSR XKG - my alpine stove - it's the bomb
    7) Optimus SVEA - for historic reasons - I might take it camping one day for fun - haven't used it in a while
    8) Sigg 123 Tourist - totally for historic reasons - not sure if it still works
    9)Sigg Fire Jet - this stove has a fuel bottle, pump, and fuel line that is not compatible with other stoves and never works as good as you think it will
    10) 2 burner coleman camping stove - this thing looks like a small green suitcase - car camping only affair
    11) I'm also fairly handy at cooking on a fire but don't do it so much for LNT reasons

Sierra Echo already bought her stove, and I failed to mention in my posts above that alcohol is not dependent upon deep drilling and the incredible use of energy to obtain petroleum and natural gas.
    It's greener than other fuels, is the point I should've made previously.

I'll stick with my Supercat for three season use, my Whisperlite (1987, with a new pump last year) because it's more efficient in cold temperatures, and Esbit tabs in the heat of summer when it's only occasionally that I crave a hot meal (though I always want a cup of coffee in the morning). I have an original Zzip stove (well, second edition, with separate battery and switch pack), and use it only on short hikes because it's heavy and bulky (it's fun to show off, though).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++