WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Campsites

Default Stealth sites in the Whites

I'm sure there are numerous sites in the Whites that are truely stealth. But, as you walk along, you will see many unoffical campsites very close to the trail.

For what it's worth, the Backcountry camping rules for the White Mountain National Forest say no camping, wood or charcoal fires within 1/4 mile of any hut, shelter, tent platform, cabin, picnic area or campground except at designated sites and any trail head as well as a few special areas.

The list goes on, but I don't see anywhere that prohibits you from camping right on the trail north of Mt. Moosiauke, provided you are more than 1/4 mile away from road, huts, etc.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just out of curiosity, how many people have actually seen a ranger in the Whites?

How about a ridgerunner?

Not suggesting that they are not out there; they are. Just curious how many have seen one. And what everyone's WMNF ranger to moose ratio is. Mine is very small. And I don't see many moose in the Whites.

Rick B
    (Who will never buy a yellow tent, even though most all of his so-called stealth sites are really legal, even if others don't always agree)

Journal Entries
    Images

Peaks--

You be right, with a couple exceptions.

You can't camp within 200 feet of a trail in a wilderness area in the WMNF. In some places, that may mean you have to pitch your tent on one side of the trail rather than the other. I am thinking of where the AT skirts a Wilderness Area between Zealand Falls and Ethan Pond. I also think that may be the case as you approach Pinkham Notch after decending past Osgood Tent site.

Also, if I am not mistaken, you have to camp at designated sites in the north of Route 2. And, of course, you cant camp where the trees are less than 8 feet tall in the summer time.

Rick B

jack-

I thought that stealth camping was the concept of leaving the least possible impact to the area that you camp on. I think the term has gotten negative connotations because camping is illegal many places if you are not at a designated campsite. I certainly wouldn't admit to stealth camping if it really meant illegal camping.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

So what is a thru-hiker supposed to do?

I've heard the AMC Huts are booked in advance and $70+ a night.

What is the fine for being caught stealth camping off-trail illegally? Probably something ridiculus, but If it's only $50 or something, it may be worth going billy-the-kid style and be a rebel.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Originally posted by Presto
    I thought that stealth camping was the concept of leaving the least possible impact to the area that you camp on.
    As you can see, there are two meanings.
    For me, stealth camping always meant no one knew I was there, and know one knew I had been there when I left.
    But times, and words, change...
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Originally posted by rickboudrie
    Peaks--

You be right, with a couple exceptions.

You can't camp within 200 feet of a trail in a wilderness area in the WMNF. In some places, that may mean you have to pitch your tent on one side of the trail rather than the other. I am thinking of where the AT skirts a Wilderness Area between Zealand Falls and Ethan Pond. I also think that may be the case as you approach Pinkham Notch after decending past Osgood Tent site.

Also, if I am not mistaken, you have to camp at designated sites in the north of Route 2. And, of course, you cant camp where the trees are less than 8 feet tall in the summer time.

Rick B
    Rick,

Yes, there are additional regulations. I only quoted part of them.

There are additional restrictions in the wilderness areas. However, the basic rule here is no camping within 200 feet of certain trails or bodies of water. So, in places where the AT is the boarder of a wilderness area, you can camp right on one side of the trail, and need to be 200 feet off the trail on the other side. Sounds complecated. Look at the AMC or White Mountain National Forest Maps to find out. Or ask a ranger or AMC what the details are.

And, no camping in the Alpine zone, unless there is 2 feet of snow cover.

I think that north of Route 2 you are on private property, probably paper company, and not on National Forest Land. So, the land owner agreement may have different requirements.

Has anyone ever seen a ranger? Yes I have. I tented a too close to a stream one night, It was late, and I agreed to move first thing in the morning, which we did.

Originally posted by RagingHampster
    So what is a thru-hiker supposed to do?

A thru-hiker is supposed to be familiar with the restrictions. And should talk with someone like Jonathon at Hikers Welcome in Glencliff about alternative places to camp. They are more numerous than it seems.

I've heard the AMC Huts are booked in advance and $70+ a night.

They are, especially on the weekends. But there is also work for stay. And if you ask, most hut people can direct you to a nearby stealth site.

What is the fine for being caught stealth camping off-trail illegally? Probably something ridiculus, but If it's only $50 or something, it may be worth going billy-the-kid style and be a rebel.
    You should not be fined unless you do something stupid, like camp under a sign that says "no camping." or make a big mess.

Actually, people have received tickets and fines for up to $200.00 for camping illegally in the White Mountains.

Whether or not these fines were paid is another matter.

There are several good ways to avoid this:

1. Don't camp illegally.

2. If you do, do it sensibly, i.e. make sure you're far enough away from trails, shelters, huts, or anywhere else you're likely to be discovered. Avoid stealthing in large groups that are likely to be noisier and more noticeable.

3. Avoid camping in sites that are so well established that they are likely to be known to rangers, patrollers, etc.

4. Be discreet in telling other folks about these sites, as this is a sure way to get them patrolled or posted, greatly increasing the likelihood of discovery and ticketing.

Images

Default hikerdude

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Actually, people have received tickets and fines for up to $200.00 for camping illegally in the White Mountains.

Whether or not these fines were paid is another matter.

There are several good ways to avoid this:

1. Don't camp illegally.

2. If you do, do it sensibly, i.e. make sure you're far enough away from trails, shelters, huts, or anywhere else you're likely to be discovered. Avoid stealthing in large groups that are likely to be noisier and more noticeable.

3. Avoid camping in sites that are so well established that they are likely to be known to rangers, patrollers, etc.

4. Be discreet in telling other folks about these sites, as this is a sure way to get them patrolled or posted, greatly increasing the likelihood of discovery and ticketing.
    That's the way I go Jack. Things are the way they are for real. Almost every hiker in the whites is a dayhiker also be noted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++