WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

deep in the moldy bowels of humidifier number two , in wintons hostel, lay the beginnings of my greatest work. beyond the point of no burgers and also a lack of frys we climbed. the very sun waited for winton to lower his hand. and aloft on alpins shoulders ,...packs were stitched and fondeled. beyond, in the cave, a man named pirate. a sole with parsly.

bad hiker poetrycontest is soon at the winter warmmer.
    matthewski

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    deep in the moldy bowels of humidifier number two , in wintons hostel, lay the beginnings of my greatest work. beyond the point of no burgers and also a lack of frys we climbed. the very sun waited for winton to lower his hand. and aloft on alpins shoulders ,...packs were stitched and fondeled. beyond, in the cave, a man named pirate. a sole with parsly.

bad hiker poetrycontest is soon at the winter warmmer.
    While Winton called you the poet laureate of The Thread maybe he meant poet lariat because of the way you keep roping us in.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

ms called between posts. back from a rig off of africa and onto one in the gulf of tacos.

and per your post dances,......tisssss/badda boom!
    matthewski

dear lord, i know books are for rich folks. and im ever so happy with the one i own. and if i never see wintons book , i still love you lord.

2101 s 16th phila pa 19145

amen.
    matthewski

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Maybe someone who hiked in '04 remembers Lorac and will tell us about meeting her. I'd like to hear the rest of her story.

Fun read, glad Winton wrote the book, good for a wintertime read
    ad astra per aspera

Wife got me a copy for Christmas, plus I bought 3 copies for friends as Christmas presents. I really enjoyed the book... I hiked and stayed at Mountain Crossing last June. He was not there that day or the next morning.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    To answer my own question, I wrote Winton Porter an email about Lorac and received a response within hours. I did not ask about the Samsonite Twins becaue I didn't want to waste more of his time than I already did. Here is what he wrote:

"
    John- thanks for the email and the wonderful accolades about the book. The truth is—I really don’t know what happen to Lorac—since they really are Just Passin’ Thru. What is interesting – about a month ago shoved in an old drawer in my wife’s office – I found a thank you card from Carol. It thanked me for helping her with the pack and for giving her the trail name “Lorac” - it was dated 2004. I never was certain if she ever took the trail name- but the card confirmed that she did.

I assume that Carol is no longer with us – but hopefully she will live in the hearts of millions in “Just Passin’ Thru. Let me know if you ever find anything about her.

Peace
    Winton
    Just finished reading "Just Passin' Thru", it was a great book. A chance to look at hiking from a different perspective.

I thought the chapter on Lorac was very touching for personal reasons. I hope someone here can find out what happened to her. I bet her family doesn't know how many people she touched during her journey. I'm sure it would be comforting for them to read Winton's book.

I agree, Wintons perspective is awesome. I am reading this one slow. Its a fun book. The folks at Mtn Crossings are great group. Looking forward to seeing Winton and Cool Breeze again this weekend at The Ruck.

Hi all! This is my first post on the forum....
    I started the book yesterday on the claustraphobic train in NYC and am now halfway through it. I hope to finish tonight. Lorac's chapter touched me especially, as I am sure it touched many. I do hope she completed her journey on the AT and also hope her family may someday know how her journey and small part in 'Just Passin' Thru' has turned out to be more impacting than one would expect. I am curious to learn more about the characters in the book, where are they now and are their own journey's complete or still on going? My own is only just begining with my plans to thru hike later in life when my daughter has graduated high school (2019). Until then I plan to segment hike when I can and hope she may join me in my goal to hike the AT.
    ~Kristina

BTTT. Reading it now. Excellent book.

Pretty well written, but him airing everyone's dirty laundry except his own was a big turnoff. . .

El Sordo
    Images

agreed.....
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Pretty well written, but him airing everyone's dirty laundry except his own was a big turnoff. . .
    There was a lot of that in the book. *agrees*

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    yes, how embarrassing for this poor lady...

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    yes, how embarrassing for this poor lady...

try that again...

I bought the book only to see if Winton was going to maintain the charade of calling his location "Neel" Gap instead of the factually correct "Neels" Gap.

I guess when you have an editor you have to stick to the truth. "Neels" Gap it is.

Images

I mainly bought the book cause my great grandfather was a winter caretaker at that building. I was curious to see if they would talk more about the history. They didn't. LOL.
    Still an interesting read. I would like to meet Billy Bramblefoot. I think we would get along really well.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I bought the book only to see if Winton was going to maintain the charade of calling his location "Neel" Gap instead of the factually correct "Neels" Gap.

I guess when you have an editor you have to stick to the truth. "Neels" Gap it is.
    When did this happen? Did the state put an incorrect sign on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    When did this happen? Did the state put an incorrect sign on the road?
    When the sign was placed -- in 1925 -- Neel Gap was the correct name.

The name was legally changed to Neels Gap in 1950 to reflect local useage.

The only people who use the incorrect term "Neel Gap" are internet pot stirrers and those who read it here and don't know the history of the area.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++