WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

hooray... nobody needs to agree w/ jester this time... i hope.
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

I use a swimsuit till its cold enough to go with long johns under the swimsuit or shorts. what I do is safety pin the swim suit crotch to the net inside the swimsuit. that pulls the leg material of the swimsuit up to cover the inside of my thighs and prevent any direct rubbing. result - no chaffing.

juma

Images

I hike in swim trunks, too. Never had any chafing problems. Even with "thunder thighs" the material and the mesh liner work for me...

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default What is going commando ????

Quote Originally Posted by dreamsoftrails View Post
    out of curiosity, have you ever tried thin nylon shorts that are softly brushed and going commando with them?
    What is going commando ????
    Crazy Al

Hiker Trash - Safety Squad! JokerJersey's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Al View Post
    What is going commando ????
    Going commando = not wearing underwear
    Pyro - Bringin' the heat! '11 Safety Tribe firestarter

2011 - Springer to Pearisburg

Images

Gander Mountain light weight nylon convertible pant/shorts with mesh liner work fine for me. Key for me is "loose is best - tight ain't right!" (ok... that doesn't completely rhyme). Can't beat the price, similar/same quality as other popular name brands.
    Faarside aka WhiteHorse

"... The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep... Miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

The only thing that has worked for me is the Bike brand compression shorts, although I have not tried the kilt......

Images

Bicycle Shorts. Never had a problem, don't think I ever will.

Images

I vote for most of the above.

Body glide is great. Compression shorts do the job really well on hot humid days. Commando also is helpful to me.

I have found that mesh liners cause as much discomfort as if I were wearing cotton boxers that were soaked with sweat and all bunched up.

Haven't gone the kilt direction yet but may consider it.

Band-aid is now selling a Body-glide type skin lube. ~$5 for a small .45 oz stick @ Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemjm View Post
    I vote for most of the above.
    Vote for pantyhose!

Some of you may have thought I was joking, which is completely understandable, but they work. They're basically cheap compression underwear that eliminates rubbing. Buy a pair, cut them off at the knee, and you're ready to go. When they wear out, buy a new pair for a couple of bucks.

The added bonus is that if you don't have a girlfriend/wife, the first time you buy a pair you'll have to find a female drugstore employee and say to her, "hey, I was wondering . . . what size pantyhose do you think would fit me?" And then you get to enjoy the look on her face before she answers.

I won't reveal any secrets, but I know a few whiteblaze members who have hiked in pantyhose.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

hansome, rich, intelligent, cancer survivor Crazy_Al's Avatar

Default REI hiking shorts have a built-in abrasive fishnet liner.

I have chaffing from REI hiking shorts. What hiking shorts do not cause chaffing ????
    I should have mentioned the REI hiking shorts have a built-in abrasive fishnet liner.
    Crazy Al

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Vote for pantyhose!

I won't reveal any secrets, but I know a few whiteblaze members who have hiked in pantyhose.
    Do thigh highs count?? Oh Wait...that's the wrong end of the stocking!!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Crazy AL,
    I started getting horrible chafing a few years ago - butt chafing as well as thigh chafing. I would get it on a simple 10 miles day hike in warm weather.
    I started using BodyGlide and that helped a lot, then I switched to Ex-Officio Boxer Briefs (approx $25/pr when not on sale) and over them I wear nylon biker style shorts, but without the padding (they are made by many companies - Brooks, Nike, New Balance and Reebok).
    I also stopped using BodyGlide between my legs and mow use it on the bottoms and sides of my feet.

I just finished Front Royal to Harper's Ferry and was soaking wet from sweat all day long day for all 3 days, including 5 miles in pouring rain. I am happy to say that even after a 19 mile and a 20 mile day - absolutely no chafing - I am really happy with Ex-Officio and they are worth every penny. they also dry very quickly if you wash them out every night like using their directions.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Do thigh highs count?? Oh Wait...that's the wrong end of the stocking!!!
    Hahahaha! Actually, you can save the parts you cut off for cold weather hiking, using them as warm sleeves, or using one of them for extra head insulation.

This is all in keeping with long tradition. The Native Americans considered them sacred, and used all parts of the pantyhose.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

I should have mentioned the REI hiking shorts have a built-in abrasive fishnet liner.
    that being said, i would have a very hard time referring to those as 'hiking shorts' regardless of what rei wants to call them.

liners=chafing from hell

less is more, a lot more

I always run and hike in cheap compression shorts from Target. They're light and keep everything in place. I would have the same problem of my inner thighs rubbing together too if it wasn't for the shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by rapchizzle View Post
    I always run and hike in cheap compression shorts from Target. They're light and keep everything in place. I would have the same problem of my inner thighs rubbing together too if it wasn't for the shorts.

Same for me, but I upgraded to the Under Armour. Expensive but worth it. Probably washed each of them 100 times and still wear like new.

I used to do squat competitions in college; I've got some big legs.

I've used Body Glide and it worked for me. Now I can get by with New Balance compression shorts, they fit me well and don't have the chamois pad that bike shorts have, and actually used to chafe me worse.

I tried a kilt once, but it wasn't for me as my thighs were the problem.

All in all you have to find what works best for you.

Large shorts worn without underwear limit chaffing (though do not eliminate it completely). I carry some Body Glide for high friction spots and use it liberally. You will want to leave the dispenser at home and use the stick alone. The dispenser is heavier than the stick.
    Compression shorts (I was thinking about this today), for men, may contribute to testicular cancer. The testes don't like too much heat, and the tight shorts hold them close to the hot body of the athlete. Lance Armstrong and Scott Hamilton are two very famous people who got testicular cancer and they both routinely wore VERY tight fitting clothing. Is there a definite correlation? I don't know, I really haven't done any research, I've just heard it through the grapevine. If curious, there's always Google (but take what you hear with a grain of salt).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++