WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I was beginning to feel alone in my fondness for shelters. When shelter to shelter hiking is not what I am in the mood for, I hike other areas. Really could have used some shelters in Montana lol. I loved starting off o a sunny 80 degree day, and hiking into the snow. The next morning though, there is nothing that would have been nicer than 3 walls, a firepit, and a nice place to cook breakfast lol.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    , there is nothing that would have been nicer than 3 walls, a firepit, and a nice place to cook breakfast lol.
    They are call huts.

I use 'em in winter.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I like shelters and such in the off season, when things are desolate. Then they have a totally different air about them. I recall one winter long ago, when I was a boy of six or so. Whatever it was that made me leave the house and wander down to the ball field I can't recall, but I found solace under the bleachers, with a few spindrifts of snow, and left over leaves, and the wind blowing softly overhead.

Charles G. D. Roberts (1860-1943)

In an Old Barn

Tons upon tons the brown-green fragrant hay
    O'erbrims the mows beyond the time-warped eaves,
    Up to the rafters where the spider weaves,
    Though few flies wander his secluded way.
    Through a high chink one lonely golden ray,
    Wherein the dust is dancing, slants unstirred.
    In the dry hush some rustlings light are heard,
    Of winter-hidden mice at furtive play.

Far down, the cattle in their shadowed stalls,
    Nose-deep in clover fodder's meadowy scent,
    Forget the snows that whelm their pasture streams,
    The frost that bites the world beyond their walls.
    Warm housed, they dream of summer, well content
    In day-long contemplation of their dreams.

Images

there pro's to them but it depends on were i am,alaska most of the time there small huntin cabins that u gotta put together an take down most people cowboy camp or tent

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    They are call huts.

I use 'em in winter.

Yet, Colorado is not Montana.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Lol
    Off subject, but Bill I would like to tell you a story of my first hike in Monatana. I had rolled into Helena in 97, and not long after settling in I found some friends and talked them into a hiking trip. We went to a small town called Boulder, it was so small the closest police were over 30 miles away lol. Anyways on our second day of hiking, we came across an old mine, and decided to do some exploring, once inside we found GOLD, all through the walls GOLD. It's Montana so we thought ok makes sense. We emptied our packs leaving our gear behind and load up on all we can carry. The Hike back was H. E. double Hockey sticks, but the thought of all the money we had on our backs kept us going. We finally made it back to my van, which had a flat tire, and a flat spare, because we had gotten a flat on the way lol. So we loaded up the GOLD, and hiked a tire to town, if you can call it that, about another mile away. We finally get a tire, get back home and go to a jeweler to find out how much our score was worth. He looks at us and says about 20 bucks. We had 4 packs full, so we were really shocked, the jeweler seeing the look on our young faces explained to us, it was Iron Pyrite. What made it worse was we had left all of our gear, which we had to hike back, and find lol.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    They are call huts.

I use 'em in winter.
    after a week of very unusual continuous cold rain on the Colorado Trail in 2006, I was really pleased to find a yurt. The wood-burning stove was a real joy with every night hitting freezing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...g?t=1241278056
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

LOL. Nice pic. Yeah, you totally fit right in in Colorado Bearpaw.

Seriously though, I'd like to try one of those Yurts someday.

Yurts look kind of cool. And on top of all, is obviously a funny word....like spork...funny word and functional

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I am very happy to come up on a shelter when it is raining or after dark or when I want company and someone else comes along. The mice are such fun! A stack of fire wood left by the person ahead of me is nice.
    Mostly i stealth tarp it but both are good.

I like shelters. ..

Images

Trail registers. Like reading the newspaper.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post

They have them in Montana too.

There is one right near Chief Joseph pass on the CDT.

I am glad there are no shelters on most trails personally.

And thanks for being so persnickety! I love how on WB all the nice users are so willing to banter and joke and not
    merely score points to prove what smart cookies they are... Ahem.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Never did the CDT. I lived in Helena, and did a lot of hiking around there, also to a few trips south of there but forget the name of the park. For the most part in L&C county Montana there were not any trails. There were a few leading to old and sometimes current private mines (not a good idea hiking those lol), and there were a lot of logging roads. So backcountry was where it was at for hiking. I am sure the CDT, like the AT has shelters all over, but like I said I never did the CDT. Are they like the shelters on the AT?

Journal Entries
    Images

If I stopped to read all the logs in the Shelters I'd never get anywhere. I think . . . .
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I like shelters. ..
    you would . . . but do you ever wonder...

why do people who enjoy getting away from everything by going into the woods plan their whole day around getting out of the woods?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    If I stopped to read all the logs in the Shelters I'd never get anywhere. I think . . . .
    they all say the same thing...

ooo, such a lovely spot
    ooo, lovely weather
    ooo, weather stunck, thank god for the shelter and trail maintainers
    ooo, next party town is awesome
    ooo, next party town stinks
    ooo, this place stinks of piss, barf and is full of mice

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    Lol
    Off subject, but Bill I would like to tell you a story of my first hike in Monatana. I had rolled into Helena in 97, and not long after settling in I found some friends and talked them into a hiking trip. We went to a small town called Boulder, it was so small the closest police were over 30 miles away lol. Anyways on our second day of hiking, we came across an old mine, and decided to do some exploring, once inside we found GOLD, all through the walls GOLD. It's Montana so we thought ok makes sense. We emptied our packs leaving our gear behind and load up on all we can carry. The Hike back was H. E. double Hockey sticks, but the thought of all the money we had on our backs kept us going. We finally made it back to my van, which had a flat tire, and a flat spare, because we had gotten a flat on the way lol. So we loaded up the GOLD, and hiked a tire to town, if you can call it that, about another mile away. We finally get a tire, get back home and go to a jeweler to find out how much our score was worth. He looks at us and says about 20 bucks. We had 4 packs full, so we were really shocked, the jeweler seeing the look on our young faces explained to us, it was Iron Pyrite. What made it worse was we had left all of our gear, which we had to hike back, and find lol.
    You know what they call Iron Pyrite don't you?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

I have had many good times in shelters. I like to cook at a shelter site,hang out and BS. If I choose to stay then I settle in like an Alabama tick. People don't usually bug me cause I sleep sound. It has been rumored I snore but I don't believe it cause I stayed awake once to see if it was true and I didn't snore at all! ---Happy Trails---Two Tents.

Quote Originally Posted by ottodude View Post
    I have had many good times in shelters. I like to cook at a shelter site,hang out and BS. If I choose to stay then I settle in like an Alabama tick. People don't usually bug me cause I sleep sound. It has been rumored I snore but I don't believe it cause I stayed awake once to see if it was true and I didn't snore at all! ---Happy Trails---Two Tents.
    post more, snore more, and we will judge more... or less... not!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++