WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    OK folks, TABA was requesting others consider hiking the MST. If you want to talk about what the meaning of "professional hiker" is, please start a new thread. At some point this has become a distraction to the spirit of Taba's original post. Please move on.
    Will do. Sorry, I was typing my response when you put up this request.

Arizona, I don't have to prove anything and I can't beleive you would think that TD55 and I are the same person. I see that you have a lot of experience on trails but not a lot of experience in the world. Just like some people are booksmart and others have common sense. I am a sponsored hiker. I am not going to give the names of my contacts because, if I was the company, I wouldn't want an influx of requests for sponsorship. I can't help that you disbelieve that fact that there is a sponsored hiker. I am sure that, with your resume, you could get a sponsor but you must do your own homework. I can pass your name off to my contacts if you would like but I can't gaurantee anything for you. Just send me a transcript of your resume and your ideas on how to increase the popularity of the product and the sport in which you are so good at. How will you increase sales and be a positive influence on newcombers to your sport? I will help you if I can.

Now, Ed Bell has a point. I think even I was thrown off the actual reason for this thread. I did invite people to join me or hike on their own 100 miles or 1 week of the MST. Thank you for bringing us back here, Ed.

Has anyone done any hiking on the MST this year?

How many miles? How long were you out? What section(s) did you do? and What was your experience like?

There is a license plate here in North Carolina that says "Share the Journey". I am finally trying to do what they tell me to do and it is a journey worth sharing. Come out and hike! I wouldn't mind some company out here. This trail shouldn't be this lonely.

Taba

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    OK folks, TABA was requesting others consider hiking the MST. If you want to talk about what the meaning of "professional hiker" is, please start a new thread. At some point this has become a distraction to the spirit of Taba's original post. Please move on.
    This applies to you as well, Taba.

Thanks.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

To quote Taba

Hiking is not just walking through the woods. It requires the right gear, having the right knowledge of how to use the gear, having a little common sense, and the ability to improvise when in tough situations. A person can walk into the woods with no gear but how far do you think they would get without having to be rescued or turn around and leave the woods because of the lack of gear. A hiker needs a backpack, a tent, a stove, food, water treatment or filter, footwear, the proper clothing for the seasons, hiking poles and a map or guidebook. All of these items are required to successfully complete any hike no matter how far the distance.

I beg to differ. Grandma Gatewood doesn't fit your defination, but thru hiked the AT in her 80's. Read about it.
    Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee. Gen 13:17

Grandma Gatewood was a great inspiration for many hikers. She, just as much as all of us who hike, put herself in situations, that without the right knowledge, could be dangerous. Being so far away from civilization can pose many problems. I don't however consider the Appalachian Trail "away from civilization". If something happens to you out on the AT all you have to do is wait an hour or so for the next hiker to walk by. The AT is a shelter hop. You don't even need a tent out there. I would like to see more trails like the AT but we need to get people to realize that there are more trails to hike then just the AT. If you want to challenge yourself and your ability to survive on your own then hike the MST. The MST is not a shelter hop and you are not catered to in every town like the AT, but has the same experience and great potential of being just as popular as the AT. You just have to look a little more to find your resources. That is why I have written the Manual for the MST to let you know where those resources are and to bring the AT hikers who are looking for something else to do and enjoy another different challenge. Hence the reason I have labeled this thread the "100 hiker Challenge."

Hiking is more than just walking! You are away from all of your comfort zones, except while on the AT. You can't just go to a fast food restaurant and spend money to get prepared food and you can't just go home to crawl into a nice comfortable bed or simply run into a building in bad weather. You are by yourself, unless on the AT, and you must rely on what you have learned throughout your own life to get you through your quest however long that is. Why do you think the drop-out rate is so high on the AT? If it was easy everybody who attempted it would finish. I walk around the country like most people walk around their neighborhood. I am not a one timer I am a lifer. I have the greatest time knowing that I am accomplishing huge goals, not just for me but for everybody. This manual will hopefully be successful in bringing more hikers to North Carolina, which is going to benefit every town along the route. Financially, these towns would see an increase in sales of food, camping supplies, lodging etc. How much money does a hiker spend in town to re-energize himself? I figure it is about $100.00 in each town. The money you spend buys you a hotel stay, a restaurant meal, groceries and maybe even a six pack of beer to celebrate the accomplishment with your friends. There are about 30 towns along the MST. In 5 years I project 100 hikers a year on the MST. Now if you do the math, that brings in $300,000 to the state just from hikers. This means more shops will open up that cater to hikers, which means more jobs. The towns will eventually start to have festivals for thru-hikers on the MST, which will bring vendors, locals and more attention to the trail. That will increase interest for more hikers to walk a different path. The trail was built for hikers, let's hike it!!!!!!!!

I have plans to write manuals for several more long distance trails in the next few years. I want my passion of hiking to be contagious. I want to see more people enjoying the true spirit of America. Why is this so hard to understand? When I document a journey I find everything that a hiker needs and wants. Unless you have bought a copy or have even looked through the Manual, I don't beleive that you understand how much work I have put into making these trails less stressful for everyone. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hike every trail with the confidence of knowing where all of your resources are? That is what I am doing and will continue to do until my body says it can't go any farther.

Stop the arguements and go hike, somewhere. If you want to do the MST I can help you on your journey. I have completely hiked this trail twice and I am now on my third trip across the state. I pretty much know where everything is at on this trail and still finding more with every mile I hike.

Taba

Haven't piped in lately as I've been building trail in NH but would like to make a few observations.
    1.) I agree with some of the recent posts that we should let the argument of "professional hiker" die on this thread.
    2.) I have to admit that I look forward to checking out Taba's guidebook once I get back down south. The MST is one terrific trail and it's beauty matches anything along the AT. However, info on the MST has been limited to a rather bulky, but well done book, written by a person with a history of putting out trustworthy guidebooks. He has also been extensively involved in getting the MST put on the ground and off the road. If Taba's book is more of a more useful, say like the Data Book, chances are I will pick up a copy.
    3.) While I would encourage anyone on here to hike the MST, if for no other reason than to get some of the traffic off of the AT, I would rather not see it become like the AT. Too many people on a single trail, regardless of it's length, can cause irreversible damage to the flora and fauna. The MST from my perspective is a special trail because of it's "wildness". Taba is right in that a person had better know his or her stuff before setting off. No, it's not rocket science, but you would be surprised at how many hikers, even AT thru-hikers, lack common map and compass skills. A GPS unit usually won't tell you where to find a water source. When a trail gets too much overexposure, people without proper level of expertise want to hike it without taking into consideration the consequences (how many of you met people starting out the AT at Springer or Katahdin who just didn't have a clue), maintenance levels increase to support the increase of foot traffic and to deal with subsequent erosion issues, the wildness aspect is gradually removed from wilderness to the point where nothing wild remains, health issues become more problematic as shelters draw mice, raccoons and bears as a result of ignorant hikers leaving trash, food scraps, s*** and s*** paper nearby, wildlife habitat and sensitive species are destroyed by repaeted trampling of vegetation and the ever increasing size of fire rings and campsites. I could go on and on but this is not what I look for in a wilderness setting. If this is what people really want for the MST, in short, another AT, well count me out. I would just as soon keep it wild and see less people. Nuff said.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Restless, I finally agree with you. I don't want to see the MST turn into another AT either. The FMST has been attending "Trail Days" in Damascus and promoting the trail to thru-hikers. My guide book is for those hiker's and others who want to hike part of the MST. It is not going to tell you how pretty the trail is. You will find that out while hiking it. You don't need to carry the weight of that information on your back the entire trip. "The Thru-Hiker's Manual for the Mountains-to-Sea Trail of North Carolina" weighs 4 oz. and is very detailed about what you are going to see and pass along the trail. It is designed as a landmark guide to let you know where all of the resources are.

I have now hiked the MST twice and I am now 200 miles into my third thru-hike and over 1,100 miles into a yo-yo this year. When I am finished in October I will be working on the updated 2010 versions that will come out in February 2010. The Manual will then be available for Eastbound and Westbound. They will be seperate Manuals for which ever direction you wish to travel the MST. I will also let you know, as a thru-hiker, the Manual is an amazing resource. Not just because I wrote it but because I tested it and had a much better experience on the trail because of it.

You can now plan out your days with the confidence of knowing where you will end your day, get your water and know where hundreds of view points, hotels, hostles, campgrounds, restaurants, grocery stores, outfitters, gas stations, post offices, coffee shops, book stores, libraries and universities for internet connections, laundry facilities, medical facilities not only for you but for your pets, banks and many other attractions along the Mountains-to-Sea Trail route. I have found several private residents that are willing to help hikers out with the camping issue also, they will be listed in the 2010 versions. I am also receiving a great response from the churches along the way about camping on their property. I believe there are now at least 15 churches who welcome hikers and I expect more phone calls and emails from other churches. This is fixing the "Illegal Camping Issue." I have done a lot of work to help people enjoy this adventure. It really is a trail worth looking into and with more people hiking it the more likely it will all be in the wilderness and will have less road walk, quicker than expected. The reason you build trails is to have hikers hike them. Let's hike this one!

Thank you,
    Taba

Dude Taba, I love what you are doing and I am truly jealous. Just don't toot your own horn so much man. Your great work should speak for it's self...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStover View Post
    Dude Taba, I love what you are doing and I am truly jealous. Just don't toot your own horn so much man. Your great work should speak for it's self...
    Thank you Josh. I wasn't trying to toot my horn. I was just trying to help people understand how much effort I am putting into making the Manual as precise as possible. I want to help hiker's in every way I can and find others who wish to do the same. It really is a lot of work for one person to do alone and I feel that some people on here are not willing to look at the future results of what is happening now. This trail will be a wonderful adventure for many years. We just need to see some hikers on it. Maintainers build trails, hikers develop them. Why would you reroute a trail if nobody hikes on it? Why would you open an outfitter if you don't have hikers in town? I would be happy to see 100 hikers attempt the MST each year. I can see this happening within 5 years. My work should speak for itself, as long as people are listening.

Taba

Images

I've followed this thread for a while, and I have to admit to being a bit perplexed:

First, while I respect Ed's request not to divert this into a debate about what a "professional hiker" is, I'm confused about that as well as mysterious "sponsors". I haven't heard of anyone really making a living off of hiking - and I believe Dan Bruce when he's said he lost a lot of money trying to - and if someone is encouraging me to do something (and that includes hiking the MST) based on their experience and support from others, I guess I'd like to know what that is made up of. Otherwise, I have a bit of sense of being used for some purpose that I'm not clear about.

Second, if the goal is 100 people to hike the entire MST each year, I'm not sure what that accomplishes to make it a better trail. Thruhiking doesn't define a trail; weekend users do. Right now the MST appears to be only 500 miles of noncontiguous pathway, with the rest using temporary alternatives. That's not bad, but it is a strong point more for encouraging greater short (25-50) and medium (50-100) miles legs, rather than thru hiking an incomplete trail; often, trip reports from trails with major road components end up being very discouraging, giving a trail a negative image that isn't dispelled for a long time.

Third, while it's not clear that Scot has really done a trail guide, he seems to be suggesting that he has. Is one available? Is it truly useful, for an incomplete trail? Is it for sale, or is it going to be posted on line?

While I have no doubt that, particularly in different seasons, the completed segments are delighful (and I have a pretty good idea of NC, from end to end), I'm not sure this is a trail that is yet ready for the majors. I may be wrong, but I think it would help if Taba were more forthcoming about himself and his agenda as a way of promoting confidence in his recommendations about this trail.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel

Third, while it's not clear that Scot has really done a trail guide, he seems to be suggesting that he has. Is one available? Is it truly useful, for an incomplete trail? Is it for sale, or is it going to be posted on line?
    I've seen it available at MRO, and I'm sure it's available in other outfitters.

Keep up the good work Taba!
    Last edited by ed bell; 08-25-2009 at 17:37. Reason: Fixed Formatting- ed

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Thank you Josh. I wasn't trying to toot my horn. I was just trying to help people understand how much effort I am putting into making the Manual as precise as possible. I want to help hiker's in every way I can and find others who wish to do the same. It really is a lot of work for one person to do alone and I feel that some people on here are not willing to look at the future results of what is happening now. This trail will be a wonderful adventure for many years. We just need to see some hikers on it. Maintainers build trails, hikers develop them. Why would you reroute a trail if nobody hikes on it? Why would you open an outfitter if you don't have hikers in town? I would be happy to see 100 hikers attempt the MST each year. I can see this happening within 5 years. My work should speak for itself, as long as people are listening.

Taba
    I am planning to thru the AT in '10 but once I finish that I will most def have to try out the MST. I would like to go ahead and get one of your books now so I can know what to expect once I get on the trail. Is there anywhere I can get it online? Let me know and keep up the good work man.

The question about the trail being finished is up for debate. As of right now I have walked across the state 2 times on the MST. If it is not finished than how is that possible? If the question is whether it is all wilderness trail than no it is not complete. We need to get out of the mind set that every trail has to be in the woods. The road walk is like a bike trip but a little slower.

As for my Manual. I have sold over 200 copies and over 40 stores are carrying it for retail purpose. There are at least 6 hikers who plan to use the Manual for their thru-hike this year. Why would I hike the trail twice if I didn't write the manual on my first trip? I have completed the second trip and have gathered all the information for the 2010 version.

I believe that my intentions have been clear from the very first post. I want to help the MST gain a little popularity and see the trail develop into another avenue for adventure for long distance hikers. What is so hard to understand about that. I have made this a project for 2 years and have created a manual that helps take all of the stress off of this journey.

If you would like a copy of The Thru-hiker's Manual for the MST of NC, they are going for $20.00 and can be purchased by mail at:

PO Box 55536
    Lexington, KY 40555-5536

Or if you live in North Carolina send me a message about where you are at and I will give you a store close to you that has them on the shelves. Feel free to ask me any question about the hike, the manual or it's contents.

As far as the sponsors, I know that I am a sponsored athlete and so do my sponsors. Granted I am low on the totem pole right now but isn't that a foot in the door for greater opportunity. I am not making a living at being a sponsored hiker, in fact the book sales are barely keeping me with food money. But I am enduring this challenge to help future hikers of the MST and the sponsor have recogonized this.

Taba

Images

Taba:

A few thoughts...

First, the MST Trail Association is the one which says that the road sections are "temporary connectors." And while every trail has road sections, to have a 1000 mile trail that is only 500 miles of pathway isn't a finished trail. It's a series of trails, with roads to connect it. If I want to hike roads, I don't need the MST to do so. And yes, I have no doubt you've walked from end to end, using those temporary connectors. But I reiterate: Most long distance hikers have other, more enjoyable choices, and if you get a negative reputation for the MST by prematurely encouraging thruhiking it as "too much road hiking" that rep will be harder to get rid of as it gets more complete. Other long trails recognize this by not encouraging thruhiking (e.g. the NCT and others that are still works-in-progress). Help your trail, and that's a good thing. But don't damage it by hype, even if unintended.

Second, some of us here are a tiny bit cynical - and I'm sorry, but it's true - because we've seen a lot of hype in the past for crusades of different kinds. As you spend more time explaining your trail (is it listed in the "other trails" forum here? if not, it should be!) and how it's exciting, people will just get interested in it and also post things. That'll do more for your trail than 100 thruhikers in 5 years. Just be natural and not quite so aggressive. It might help some if the defensive tone of your posts was reduced a bit.

Lastly, you're the one who has trumpeted - there's no other word for it - that you're a "professional" hiker with "sponsors". You may not be aware of it, but there have been several scamming and semi-scamming posters on WB over the years who suddenly appear, tout their "experience" and "massive support" from others, and seek some kind of personal gain from it. It's becoming obvious that you're not in that category, but it might have been better not to mention sponsors you don't want to name or make it sound like you're trying to make a living from any trail, since most of us know that's impossible (sorry, wish you were making more!).

Good luck.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Journal Entries
    Images

sounds like you are moving along Taba,,,,,,,,,,,,,just get her done.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Taba:

A few thoughts...

First, the MST Trail Association is the one which says that the road sections are "temporary connectors." And while every trail has road sections, to have a 1000 mile trail that is only 500 miles of pathway isn't a finished trail. It's a series of trails, with roads to connect it. If I want to hike roads, I don't need the MST to do so. And yes, I have no doubt you've walked from end to end, using those temporary connectors. But I reiterate: Most long distance hikers have other, more enjoyable choices, and if you get a negative reputation for the MST by prematurely encouraging thruhiking it as "too much road hiking" that rep will be harder to get rid of as it gets more complete. Other long trails recognize this by not encouraging thruhiking (e.g. the NCT and others that are still works-in-progress). Help your trail, and that's a good thing. But don't damage it by hype, even if unintended.

Second, some of us here are a tiny bit cynical - and I'm sorry, but it's true - because we've seen a lot of hype in the past for crusades of different kinds. As you spend more time explaining your trail (is it listed in the "other trails" forum here? if not, it should be!) and how it's exciting, people will just get interested in it and also post things. That'll do more for your trail than 100 thruhikers in 5 years. Just be natural and not quite so aggressive. It might help some if the defensive tone of your posts was reduced a bit.

Lastly, you're the one who has trumpeted - there's no other word for it - that you're a "professional" hiker with "sponsors". You may not be aware of it, but there have been several scamming and semi-scamming posters on WB over the years who suddenly appear, tout their "experience" and "massive support" from others, and seek some kind of personal gain from it. It's becoming obvious that you're not in that category, but it might have been better not to mention sponsors you don't want to name or make it sound like you're trying to make a living from any trail, since most of us know that's impossible (sorry, wish you were making more!).

Good luck.

TW
    One, this is not my trail. It is Allen deHart's vision. I just hiked it and wrote a book to help others with listing directions and resources along the way. The trail doesn't belong to one person. Once you establish a trail and invite people to use it, you have given it to the public. Why shouldn't we try to thru-hike it? Why does hiking have to be all in the woods? If you don't want to walk on roads then wait a few years and then hike the MST. But, if you want a different kind of challenge then the MST is a good one, in my opinion.

Two, all I saw of the Appalachian Trail was the woods in every state. The MST shows you everything that North Carolina is about from the scenic land to the culture in towns.

Three, I have let you know who my "Mysterious" sponsors are. They are Leki, Teva, and Wandering Buddha aka Trail Hound. Just because I don't want to give out specific contact names doesn't mean that I am not sponsored by them.

Four, my quality of work is of professional status. If you wish to examine my work for yourself, check out the Manual. Lightweight travel has been my life for over 20 years now. Before I started hiking I rode my bicycle over 40,000 miles around the US since 1988. I know what to look for and where to find it no matter what the needs are. This is why I am so confident in my ability. Plus, I don't see myself stopping any time soon. This is my career of choice.

Five, if you want me to be nicer to you be nicer to me. Then I wouldn't have to be so defensive. All I wanted from this was to increase popularity of the MST. I did that. If nothing else I've kept you entertained. I like the poking match we have here it lets me know that I am keeping you interested. I am just tired of the people who have no idea what they are talking about or don't know all the facts trying to tell me that I am not what I am.

Taba

One other note on this. If the FMST doesn't want thru-hikers to attempt the trail then why do they attend and promote the MST to thru-hikers at "Trail Days" in Damascus? Everybody knows that Trail Days is a festival for thru-hikers who have done the AT, are doing the AT or getting an idea of thru-hiking the AT or another trail that they learn about at the festival.

Taba

My ultimate goal with the Manual is to speed up the process to getting this trail more thru-hiker friendly so the Appalachian Trail finishers have the answer to their question when the reach Katahdin of, "what's next" or "now what do I do". If we get more people hiking now, the trail will get more attention from locals and town officials and will increase the speed of the re-routing. That is just my prediction. But in order for thru-hikers to consider hiking the MST they need the proper resources. That is what I am working on. Instead of challenging me, why don't we challenge the trail. As for the road walk; if you can ride your bike on the road you can walk on the road. The danger is no different.

Taba

I am passing Durham now and will be going into the mountains on more established trail. Does anyone want to join me out there as I work my way back to Clingman's? If so, let's plan a meet-up point? I have had a few people join me out here this year and would love to share this adventure with more.

Taba

I sat and talked with Taba today. He has finished the MST this year and is now walking BACK to Clingmons Dome...He is very interesting and after talking to him...YES he is a professional hiker...or should I say explorer. He is currently in Dobson, nc heading towards Stone Mtn. State Park.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
++ New Posts ++