WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiter View Post
    if you are looking at saving money, look at alcohol stoves and k-mart grease pot instead of a jetboil
    IMO given the weight, ease of use, reliability, and speed that it boils water, the Jetboil PCS is worth every single penny. You'll be thankful you did when the air temps are cold and the wind is whipping.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    IMO given the weight, ease of use, reliability, and speed that it boils water, the Jetboil PCS is worth every single penny. You'll be thankful you did when the air temps are cold and the wind is whipping.
    You are correct. As I noted above, the biggest advantage of the Jetboil is its performance in cold and windy weather.

However, the O.P. is starting in Damascus in May. His planned flip-flip hike is just about perfectly timed to avoid winter weather anywhere along the trail. (Which is a great plan, IMO.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Hey Mike Way,
    I just got through reading all about the ticks and lyme disease that for the most part everyone who has been says, "take it seriously". I couldn't help but think, as I live in Georgia, (we refer to it as the jungle or desert dependingon where you live),...checking yourself for ticks is going to be imparative for you but your talking about taking your dog...wow...that's gone be a challenge for sure...especially since I deduced from your gear list and intentions of using the sleeping bag as a joint sleeping apparatice for you both. Any missed tick is going to be on you before the sun rises. Not criticising your choice...just merely giving thought to help you better prepare for your additional load...hope you have a GREAT time...

Not taking the dog on the thru. Just want a tent/tarptent to be able to put him up later. Actually will probably take him on a shake down trip in the SNP early April. Ticks shouldn't be a prob. then. Talked with Rich at Rockfish Gap Outfitters on Sat. Lyme disease knocked him off when he first attempted his thru.

Images

When I bought my gear 2 years ago for a trip to India, my priorities were 1) safety, 2) consistent performance, 3) weight, 4) cost. I looked at the price tag last. I bought the gear over a period of several months and tried it out on some weekend hikes and ended up taking back my tent but the rest worked well. I am using all of that gear for my thru hike and it will last for many years to come. So for me, it was an investment. I am 52 and even though I am reasonably fit, weight was critical in planning for my thru hike. My big four include:

Pack-Granite Gear Vapor Trail
    Bag-Western Mountaineering 15 degree
    Pad-Thermarest Pro lite 4
    Tent-Cloudburst II Tarptent

Food:

Jet Boil PCS w/pot

Good luck and look for the slow guy on the right, that's me.

How about this question for a gear thread? And I guess there are dumb questions but what's better, commando or underwear to prevent chaffing, jock itch, etc.?

In the immortal words of Cosmo Kramer, "But Jerry, my boys need a home!!!"

I always go commando on long trail trips and carry a small bottle of goldbond. Man, that stuff is wonderful.

Images

retired and still sleeping on the ground...grrrrr...thought on a hammock to get off ground and reduce the weight and headache of packing up tent? ...just a thought, I came off ground as soon as I hit 40. I like the stuff it, fluff it and go myself...instead of fold and roll....
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++