WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default "Don't do it!" Discouragement attempts.

Not an important post, but a more personal one I felt like throwing out here. I thought I'd bring up the subject of people trying to discourage the prospective hiker from going on the AT (and I haven't even told them I'm planning a thru-hike). It starts out a bit sad (for me), and then gets funnier (at least for me).

At least the worst of the storm being thrown my way has passed. Acceptance is settling in among the discouragers, though they still feel the need "to warn me" "for my safety" "because they love me".

My Dad had the hardest hitting strike. "No work ethic," said with bitter disappointment in me. It helped that I had a brother there to stand up for me. "It makes sense that she goes now, then gets a job."
    It strengthened me to find out the other day that my Dad had used his own stop-tactics on my brother when my brother wanted to go to Costa Rica, to help sea turtles, or to go to Southeast Asia (left for back home the day before the tsunami). "Now is the time to be establishing yourself."

But now that my Dad knows that at least I'll be hiking with "an experienced hiking community, good for beginners," he has let up some ("I'm sure you know about the deaths"), and surprised me with sending me some money (just in time to order cold-weather gear, yes!).

The current major culprit is a male friend of mine who I just got off the phone with. His declarations for my safety were getting wilder and more "fanatical", as he realized, such that I started to take notes towards the end.

He has improved from "You're not going."

So here are some shreds of what he said, thrown out here for fun's sake. Afterwards, feel free to add your own "Discouragements" you've received. The funnier the better, imo.

"Don't do it"
    "I don't want you to die on the side of a mountain"
    "Jeffrey Dahlmer and Ted Bundy hid the fact..."
    It's not safe. You don't know these people. You can't trust anyone.
    save yourself the pain
    keep on telling you this but it's obvious it hasn't sunk in
    you're stubborn
    you don't know when to stop
    you think it's healthy so you keep doing it
    you're not in any condition
    I'm not a professional race car driver. I'd love to go around a track at two- or three-hundred miles an hour. It's an experience I want to have, but, that doesn't mean I should try to be semipro.
    Have you ever walked in a forest. ("Yes.") Well it's not what you think.
    When I was really young and in shape (a boy scout) I went on a hiking trip and it was harder than
    Just because it seems like a good idea
    Once when I was young I tied my bike to a pole sticking out of concrete and decided to ride down a hill. I was lucky. Instead, the rope got stuck in the bike chain. That saved me from being violently jerked off my bike and landing face first on the concrete and rolling down the hill. But I thought it was a good idea at the time.
    You have nothing to prove to yourself
    I know you could do it
    It would be fine only if I were there
    I'd rather not get a calll from you, you saying you're on crutches and you've been in the hospital for four days
    I don't want to get that call
    You're super special, but don't be super special like a short bus on this.
    (he) knows it's a bad idea
    at least I'm trying to stop you
    scares the sh!# out of me
    see so many possibilities of bad stuff happening
    I'm glad I made you laugh

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

"don't do it, I don't want you to die"

Images

Buy some ear plugs; you will need them for the hike anyway.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

the only discouragement i ever received was in the manner of facial expressions along with lack of: hey have a great trip, be carefull out there, see you when you get back etc..all i got from my family was...... O K and nothing else...i have 3 bro's and 2 sis's who do nothing. one bro is always on the move but the other sibs are veggies..whenever i tell them i am going on a trip they all roll their eyes and say DONT YOU EVER GET SICK OF HIKING???? THEY JUST DONT GET IT DO THEY.......im geting upset writing this as i type...i need to stop........peace out , nitewalker

Talking

i was 34 when i did it. i dont think my parents were thrilled when i told them, but neither did they try to discourage me. no one i talked to thought attempting the hike was a bad idea. it was the necessary quitting of my job and not working for 6 months that some people said was a bad idea. but even those naysayers turned around as i progressed up the trail. my family would tell me of how proud dad was as he started to understand just a little of what it was all about and what i was accomplishing. buddha bear on thebackpacker.com said i couldnt do it. i used that as motivation to finish. thanks, visor-boy!

One day I saw a dog pulling the final few dirt diggs out of a hole under a fence and then crawling out. He had a look of such joy on his face. There were two other dogs behind the fence who were too afraid to crawl out. The look on their faces clearly said "Don't do it". Slaves do not like other slaves to escape.

It has nothing to do with you or your planned hike. The problem lies deep within the "discourager".

Images

You could try a diversion. Join the Marine Corps, get shot at, save your money while you're in, and when you get out go for your thru. Suddenly doing the AT won't seem so dangerous any more.......

I worked for me .

BTW, I got the "Do you think it's a good idea to go so long without a job?" line also.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

All part of your preparation. By the time they're done with you, your resolve should be unshakeable.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

It might not be Mount Everest, but once you fall the first two or three hundred feet, it's all the same after that. You've reached terminal velocity.

Most don't last long before they get off the trail.

Last edited by RITBlake; 01-19-2008 at 14:26. Reason: user error

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Most don't last long before they get off the trail.
    Yes, but those who are truly determined won't leave for love or money!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been there with those who did not support the adventure at first. But those that did far outweighed it. And when they found out I was going anyway, they supported it.
    My biggest surprise from supporters was finding out who really thought I would finish. Very few did, esp in the first three months. I think I had maybe two who believed from the start. My hubby didn't even believe it until we reached PA.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

So who was the other true believer?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    So who was the other true believer?
    You were??

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

People who have abandoned their own dreams will find a way to discourage or disparage yours. In many cases, these are older people who somehow manage to feel better about themselves by ridiculing or criticizing your plans. The older some people get, the more regretful they become about life choices THEY have made. They find a way to feel better about themselves by discouraging or demeaning the dreams and plans of others.

Don't listen to them. Trust your heart and do what you think is right for you.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

This is all very nice, but I thought she asked for DISCOURAGEMENT!

When I first started hiking ,it was your to young ----now everyone says "your to old" Didn't listen then ---- DON'T NOW

riga, you might want to give your dad a break. He's probably the guy who gave up some things to raise you and your brother. If you're old enough, do what you want, but don't go blaming your dad for trying to look after your best interest. In addition, be careful who you take advise from (especially on this forum). There are several people here who are defined by the trail. It's their chance for recognition. They have nothing else and never will. Don't follow losers!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++