WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Arrow Food and Cooking

Alilalien,

If you're really looking for good food advice, try not only the pages here, but also the Freezer Bag Cooking site. It's a fine site by Sarah (Sarbar) and her husband Kirk with a lot of good trail recipes and ideas for food and cooking it. Don't be put off by the word "recipe" either. I'm a fairly dedicated cook, but I know many who are not who have used these successfully. It's basically a combination of dehydrated and trail bought food put together for maximum enjoyment, nutrition, and ease of cooking on the trail (essentially, pouring boiling water into a freezer bag or rehydrating about covers most of the cooking involved.) Even if you decide to go without maildrops (and many do) you can still use these techniques to make what you get in towns taste better out on the trail.

Hope this helps and good hiking!

Images

I've heard a lot of good things about this food source: www.trailfoods.com I'm going to give them a try this year.

MENOMONEE FALLS!!!!!! HEY NEIGHBOR....LITERALLY!!!

Food primarily will be store bought stuff. Many hikers will start with a carbohydrate base like Ramen, Mac & cheese, Lipton noodles, instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, stuffing mix, spaghetti noodles, etc.....you then jazz it up with some type of protein like tuna from foil packages, salami, vienna sausages, spam, tofu, nuts, etc....then kick in some spices, maybe some dehydrated or freeze dried vegetables and volia a one pot meal. Buying the prepackaged stuff is expensive and normally a two person meal is really for one.

Were leaving Wisconsin mid March too!!!!!!

Images

The first time I hiked the AT was the first time I had a backpack on my back. Hiked one week, mostly alone, in Nov. from Neel's to Deep Gap NC. Everything I knew about backpacking I had read on this site, along with a couple of trail journals. If I can do it, anyone can.

I eat mostly Lipton pasta, rice dishes. Peanut butter and bagels are a staple. Oatmeal, energy bars, beef jerky, ramen noodles. I try to carry one piece of fruit, apple or orange, in case I hit a dry stretch. I've been without water and miserably hot twice, once I had to tough it out, the other time I had an apple. I've never had a better tasting apple.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++