WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I am with Sly. I love being out there ! it being boring was rarely the case. I love going into towns but i LOVE leaving them. 0 days can be a down fall. i think that is what makes the AT very challenging is all the towns ...Pct etc you don't have the " town magnet "....try and keep your stops to a minimum....but, I sure didn't ... There are very few places I would rather be then hiking a mnt trail...

Cindy From Indy

Question Boredom or Impatience??

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Hiking can get boring real fast too. So if it's boredom you are trying to avoid, thru hiking the AT won't help in that area.
    This is what I am confused about. I went out to do a 'practice' hike over a 4 day weekend last month and felt great in the beginning. I noticed all the natural beauty, animals, birds etc. The pack felt great, the boots are great, I was "HIKING"!!!!

But the next day, it wasn't all so fascinating. I caught myself thinking, when am I gonna finally get there (end of the trail)? It's not like I had anything else to do. I had specifically set aside these 4 days to hike!!

I didn't like it that I was having these thoughts. I have been planning, spending money and talking about doing this hike for the last 7 months!!! I do know I want to do it. I almost 'need' to do it.

What does one do to counteract these feelings of boredom or impatience??

Images

Default Are you determined?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy from Indy View Post
    What does one do to counteract these feelings of boredom or impatience??
    For some Cindy, a good solution is keeping one's job and section-hiking, but if it's a traditional or nouveau thru-hike you seek, what you're talking about is indeed germane.

I like people who ask good questions. People who ask good questions, get better answers than those who don't.

May I ask a personal question? Are you determined? People who truly are find a way. It seems to me the answer you seek is within yourself, but it's not a bad idea to ask those who have been there before.

You might consider living in the present moment and experiencing it, uncomfortable though it may be. You could also replace an uncomfortable thought with another. Remember that entertaining a thought is optional.

Alternatively, focus upon your surroundings rather than within. There's much more going on around people than they ever realize.
    Last edited by emerald; 12-20-2007 at 23:08. Reason: Added a suggestion.

Cindy From Indy

I was a lot more determined before my 'practice' hike. The feelings I had came totally out of left field. Very unexpected.

I had no unexpected troubles on the trail, the weather was perfect. I experienced lots of little victories. It was totally exhilerating. I loved the solitude and the 'oneness' with nature.

In the weeks since that hike I have done a lot of soul searching and meditation about why I am really doing this. And I AM doing it! I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.

Perhaps what I got was a 'reality check'. And, I think that's a good thing.

Images

Practice hikes are good.

Images

I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.
    Without the valleys and peaks, rain and sunshine and other contrasts which call to our attention and cause us to appreciate more what we have, both life and the trail are far less interesting.

Who loves the sunshine more than the hiker who has been rained on for a week?
    Last edited by emerald; 12-20-2007 at 16:03.

Cindy, Like you,I sometimes get bored and impatient when I hike around home..
    When I flew to Atlanta and got hiking on the AT it was rarely boring for me. I hiked 6 weeks and never was very bored.
    Why the difference??
    I think it was the fact that I was going a meaningful distance and length of time.Also very important to me was the interaction with other hikers that I met.You can be alone as much as you like or walk with others non stop if that is what you like.
    If you get tired or sleepy or grumpy or bored..you can put your foam pad or ground sheet down and have a nap under a tree or on some moss..
    You will always be trying to figure out where to get water and where to camp for the night.Some days I stopped to cook up some lunch on my Pocket Rocket stove.That was fun, good for a break and helped with monotony of the daily hike.
    Taking pictures is fun too. keep your camera very handy or you will not use it much.
    Bring recorded music if that would help you.I did not need it.
    When are you starting this year?I started March 19 last year but not sure when and where I will start this coming spring.
    Take good care,
    Sandalwood
    Last edited by maxNcathy; 12-20-2007 at 18:15.

Default Are You determined?

I was a lot more determined before my 'practice' hike. The feelings I had came totally out of left field. Very unexpected.

I had no unexpected troubles on the trail, the weather was perfect. I experienced lots of little victories. It was totally exhilerating. I loved the solitude and the 'oneness' with nature.

In the weeks since that hike I have done a lot of soul searching and meditation about why I am really doing this. And I AM doing it! I think perhaps I just need to understand that the hike is NOT going to be sunshiney, birds singing, exciting fun all the time. It's a lot of hard work just like anything in life.

Perhaps what I got was a 'reality check'. And, I think that's a good thing.

A whole lot of people are in love with the idea of hiking but not so much the reality of it. The idea of hiking is based on the picture of that woman on the hiking books. The ones with the woman smiling as she hikes through the woods on a clear day with comfy temperatures. FWIW you don't have to love hiking to hike the AT. There are times when it is NOT fun. There are times when you don't fell like hiking. If you get up early in the morning and hike about 15 miles a day you can see Katahdin if your body and your gear doesn't write you a permission slip to go home. The reason why soooo many people don't complete a thru hike is because it's not easy. Determination can help you succeed...not the teeth clenched determination but the single mindedness to complete what you chose to do. If you don't think you have what it takes just stay home. I've seen a lot better hikers than me go home...there is no shame in it. There's nothing wrong with section hiking. There's nothing wrong with biking or something else instead. Like the man said...the answer is in you.

Cindy From Indy

I will be starting at Springer the 3rd week in April '08

Cindy From Indy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Determination can help you succeed...not the teeth clenched determination but the single mindedness to complete what you chose to do. If you don't think you have what it takes just stay home.
    I am determined to do this hike in '08. All the planets have aligned and I wished on a star and I got the bigger piece of the wishbone!! LOL

In fact, I HAVE to do this hike. It is high time that I proved to myself that I CAN stick it out and make it happen. I'm always there for everyone else but I tend to let myself down. I tend to make excuses for why I couldn't do it for myself. I've dreamed about doing this hike for almost 20 years. I know I have what it takes. NOW is the time!! (can you tell I am giving myself the "win one for the Gipper" speech???!!!) LOL

"I'm Hikin' or I'm Dy'in"

Images

A Katahdin or bust hiker!

Cindy From Indy

Talking

You betcha!!!

Default Are You determined?

I am determined to do this hike in '08. All the planets have aligned and I wished on a star and I got the bigger piece of the wishbone!! LOL

In fact, I HAVE to do this hike. It is high time that I proved to myself that I CAN stick it out and make it happen. I'm always there for everyone else but I tend to let myself down. I tend to make excuses for why I couldn't do it for myself. I've dreamed about doing this hike for almost 20 years. I know I have what it takes. NOW is the time!! (can you tell I am giving myself the "win one for the Gipper" speech???!!!) LOL

"I'm Hikin' or I'm Dy'in"
    Well, no one could argue with the planets being aligned, wished on a star and you got the bigger piece of the wishbone. This is my version of being supportive. When I first started the AT almost everyone I spoke to was hiking because they wanted to be one with nature, hug a tree, kiss a bear....what ever. I don't know what happened to those people because after about a month I started hearing the real stories. Most people had issues that they hoped to sort out as they hiked. Most were over relationships or which way to go after graduation or retirement. In addition to that it is damn amazing how many of them go the distance with only one oar in the water. Screamer wasn't the only nut on the trail in 2000. Having said all that it is a social hike and you may not be as alone as you imagine you will be. If you have issues use them to power you up the mountains but you'll probably still have them when you reach katahdin.
    I'd encourage you to not over think your hike. It's just walking and you've done it all your life. What you need is your gear, show up at Spinger, and follow the blazes. It's just a three-day hike over and over. Relax; you’re not going to fall off the edge of the world.

Images

Get up in the morning, hike and repeat until you reach the other terminus. It's easier to say than do, but it's not as hard as some make it either.

I tend to get bored on section hikes also, but it's usually because there is a bunch of other stuff bothering me. I do not think it will be a problem when I start my thru-hike. I will have quit my job, sold everything I own except some collectible things, and will be effectively homeless. It's going to be great... Whenever I'm bored on the trail (if it does happen) I'll just think about how normally I would be working right now and I'm sure I'll get over it pretty quick. I'm so ready for this.

Images

Guess without a home, your home will be the A.T. Where will you go if or maybe I should say when you quit? You're not planning on living there forever, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Guess without a home, your home will be the A.T. Where will you go if or maybe I should say when you quit? You're not planning on living there forever, are you?
    I'm not too worried about it, there are multiple places I could stay and I could get another (probably better) job in Atlanta pretty easily. I also have enough money saved to last me a year if I penny pinch.

My point was once you're out there and devoted to just hiking etc. I think boredom will be less of an issue. Then again I'm not speaking from experience so maybe I should just not talk.

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Fellow Hikers,
    How determined are You to thru hike the AT this coming year..to go the distance?
    I am very determines. I will make it as long as my ankle holds up. I had surgery earlier this yr. I'm earning my second degree black belt in January so I am a pretty determined individual. I lost my job for this trip (layoff) so I better complete it (big motivator). I wouldn't want to give my past employer any satisfaction.

What will you be telling yourself when part of your mind insists on telling You to quit and go home?
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Get up off your butt and get moving. Your family is waiting for you to get home so get moving. You only have four months to complete this trip you don't have time to waste. It's just one mountain get your butt up and over it. So it happens to be Mt Washington. No biggy.... Mt Everest is a whole lot worse. Lets go to town and have some fun and see what tomorrow brings. Turn of the MP3 player and sing a tune. Just hope no one is around

How will you make your hike fun?
    I might change this question to What will make your hike fun? Not in any particular order. Sun, new friends, enlightenment, H2O to drink, food, spirits, seeing the family, camaraderie, gear that holds up, trail magic, shower, clean cloths, bed, heat/air conditioning, and the list goes on
    On the flip side not taking a shower, shaving, using deodorant, getting a hair cut, wearing the same cloths day after day (no laundry YA) I guess you can tell I'm a guy. How about peeing in the woods!

How many months have you set aside for this hike? Sandalwood
    Four Agreed with the family to not be gone long. One can only stay unemployed for so long : ) Its already been a while since I worked last and I don't leave until Feb 29th

Images

I'm determined to hike; whatever happens is just the way it's gonna be. I've done the same as floyd242 so the urge to just quit will be not quite as attractive.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Cindy From Indy

I'm quitting my job about a month before I start my hike.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++