WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: I Use Shelters Approximately X% of the Time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Eight years, six shelters

In the eight years it took me to section-hike all the AT, I only stayed in six shelters. I just can't sleep well in them. Reasons include: The slightest noise or movement wakes me up, I toss/turn a lot myself so I'm always concerned about waking other hikers, I need to use the woods a couple times a night and I worry about waking others, and when I hike with my dawg I'm aware many shelter dwellers don't want to share space with her.

The shelters provide something of value to many and I'm not against them (actually, I help maintain one as a volunteer), just choose not to sleep in them.

Typically, I'll camp near a shelter (but not right next to one) to take advantage of the water source, privy if there is one, a place to cook/eat, and the comaraderie. But come bedtime I'm outta there.

P.S.: I have the same view for similar reasons toward dormitory-like situations in hostels and in the White Mt. huts, tho due to weather concerns I've used the latter (didn't get much sleep).

Journal Entries
    Images

Default shelters or NO

i use shelters for the camraderie....

always cool to meet the different types out on the trail...

& to be quite honest...i'm too darn tired @ the end of the day, sometimes, to put up my tent.

but, in case of a shelter thats FULL....i tent close by.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

My vote goes to NEVER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++