WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default northern 60 miles of Vermont

I just got back from a section hike in Maine and the steep, rocky trail banged up my shins pretty good. I do OK walking a steep trail, but the rock hopping does me in (I am a disabled vet with limited ankle mobility). I'm looking for a less-damaging-to-my-shins section for September.

I'm considering doing a section of some (or all) from about VT103 to Hanover, NH.

How are the northern 60 miles of VT?
    Is there a lot of steep rock walk like Maine, or is it mostly steep trail like southern sections?

Thank you.

Anything south of Hanover, NH is going to be forgiving terrain.
    Trail Miles: 5,265.4
    AT Map 1: ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    BMT: 168.3
    CDT: 210.9

GSMNP900: 134.7
    AT Map 2: 279.4

As A United States Navy Vet
    I want to say to my brother welcome bro.
    EZ-DOES-IT

Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

From what I recall the trail mellows out a bit after leaving the Long Trail until a little before the Whites so I'd say that's a good option.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

The trail from Killington to Hanover has excellent tread. It is not rocky at all. No hands needed. There are short ups and downs from the Long Trail north but nothing steep.

The trail up the south side of Killington was a rocky gully when I last climbed it and was in need of repair but nothing needing hands and not overly steep. I would hope it has been repaired since. This is the biggest climb you make and would hike nobo. I'd rather go up it than down. The trail down Killington to route 4 was a relo in the early 2000's to put the trail on public land off the Killington/Pico ski properties and is mellow. From 103 to the start of the Killington climb at Gov Clement shelter is forgettable. Avoid this shelter used by locals if possible especially on weekends.

There is an alternative legal trail from Killington directly to the Long trail Inn that is a long graded downhill shortcut (old AT/LT) crossing the ski areas. The shelter along this alternate on Pico had hermit squatting issues that seem to have been resolved but.... The Long Trail Inn is a must stay or at least a must stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    The trail from Killington to Hanover has excellent tread. It is not rocky at all. No hands needed. There are short ups and downs from the Long Trail north but nothing steep.

The trail up the south side of Killington was a rocky gully when I last climbed it and was in need of repair but nothing needing hands and not overly steep. I would hope it has been repaired since. This is the biggest climb you make and would hike nobo. I'd rather go up it than down. The trail down Killington to route 4 was a relo in the early 2000's to put the trail on public land off the Killington/Pico ski properties and is mellow. From 103 to the start of the Killington climb at Gov Clement shelter is forgettable. Avoid this shelter used by locals if possible especially on weekends.

There is an alternative legal trail from Killington directly to the Long trail Inn that is a long graded downhill shortcut (old AT/LT) crossing the ski areas. The shelter along this alternate on Pico had hermit squatting issues that seem to have been resolved but.... The Long Trail Inn is a must stay or at least a must stop.
    Definitely second staying at The Long Trail Inn. Be sure to ask for the Hiker Special.
    While a blue blaze it is the original AT.

As a Marine, welcome. Would concur on Killington to Hanover being relatively mellow. South to the MA line a little more rough.

MA and CT fairly smooth also. Only thing comparable to ME would be the north side of Bear Mtn at the border and north side of St John’s Ledges just north of Kent.

I thought this post was going to be about the north end of the Long Trail

The eastern VT section of the AT is a deceptively smooth footpath for the most part. It looks easy which confuses the knees which tend to get angry about the elevation change of the PUDs which lack rocks to step on. After doing that stretch SOBO last year I found my knees ached for a few days after making the turn onto the LT. Watch the down hill speed
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Same here LoneStranger. That northern Vermont Long Trail is a ROMPER ROOM

Images

If you want forgiving trail I suggest starting at US 4 instead of of VT 103. The hike up from VT 103 out of Clarendon Gorge is the steepest and rockiest part of the AT in Vermont. Going over Killington Peak is pretty rocky as well. US 4 to Hanover is steep in a few places but generally not rocky. Also if you fly into Rutland there's free bus service directly from downtown Rutland to the trailhead at US 4.

Thanks for the replies. My basic plan now is to park at the trailhead along US4 near Rutland, get a shuttle to Etna Rd near Hanover, and hike the 52 or so miles southbound back to my car.

Parking across the street from the Inn at Long trai. Off of Dear Leap Trail from the AT. Delicious end of hike feast!

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

The hike from Rutland to Hanover is the best part of Vermont. You walk thru long-ago fields overgrown by forest retaking the farmlands. You will hike between miles of stone walls laid by farmers and their families toiling centuries ago. You pass thru long-forgotten remains of orchards with the occasional apple tree that must be centuries old. I hiked this as part of my Long Trail hike a few Septem/Octo-bers ago. There were rumors of farmstands, though I didn't see any in early October. There is a private cabin available with an observation deck. The last shelter is made of stone and decidedly different from the others. There are neither steep nor rocky sections.

Above someone thought you were referring to the northern part of the Long Trail. Yea, this is not that. The northern third of the LT is the most difficult 60-some miles I've ever hiked. Nowhere else have I needed to hike on all fours like there.

Enjoy your hike thru that part of Vermont.
    Give me a mile of trail and I can show you the forest. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.
    Long Trail Completed 2021.
    Collegiate Loop 2022

++ New Posts ++