WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How are the springs between Daleville and the James River?

We are 2 old men hiking from Daleville (hello Whitcher family) up to the James River (hello Stanimal and friends).We start July 1. It has been warm and very dry here in Chapel Hill, and I think the weather has been about the same in central Virginia. Does anyone have recent experience with the springs at the shelters or elsewhere? It would be nice to know if we have to carry water. Being old (combined age 152) have limited range and so we like to plan ahead.
    Thanks for your help. White Blaze has always been a reliable source for this kind of thing. I know there is a lot of information on other social media sites, but I haven't used Instagram, Facebook, etc for this kind of query. Can anyone make me aware of sources they have used that have advantages, like bigger numbers, over White Blaze?
    Thanks again.
    Rusty Joints, Half Vast Expeditions, Chapel Hill
    Springer to the Susquehanna River.
    Dennytown Road to the Connecticut River

If you’re comfortable with the technology faction, a download of FarOut would be an excellent source of information on the ground. It’s definitely hot out there so drink up!

I live a little north of where you are going and it is hot and dry here. I agree that the FarOut app would be the best $10 you could spend for current info. I just looked at the water sources that have been updated by hikers within the last week and the longest stretch without water looks like 6 miles. Quite a few of those sources mention using a leaf or scoop so who knows how long they will last. We are also looking at another week of hot and dry weather. If you want water cached in a few places, I could do that.

Thanks. NJH, I'll get back to you about cached water.
    I downloaded Farout app and it says $74.99 for the AT map. Did I ask the wrong question?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Joints View Post
    Thanks. NJH, I'll get back to you about cached water.
    I downloaded Farout app and it says $74.99 for the AT map. Did I ask the wrong question?
    Look underneath that price for a label “What’s Included” and click on it. It should have a list of all the sections. Choose Northern VA and you will only pay for that section.

Got it. The section from Daleville to Bearwallow Gap looks a little dry. Where did you see the 6 mile gap?
    I appreciate your offer to cache.

I would call the spring at boblett's gap shelter unreliable as of Saturday (6/22). It was just a trickle. Otherwise we didn't have any trouble from parking lot on route 11 near troutville to the crossing at va 614 by Jennings creek. You should take a dunk in Jennings Creek on the way by.

Seven mile gap is from Mile 742.2 to 749.1 (Bobblets shelter) has no water. Per the last comment, if Bobbletts is dry, it would mean 742.2 to 752.2 which would be 10 miles. If you are doing limited miles, that could end up being a heavy carry.

Not sure if you figured this out in FarOut. If you click on the icon, it drills down to a description and if you continue to scroll down, you will see comments left by other hikers. The comments should update whenever you open the app.

NJH you've been very helpful. I was hoping that was the section you were thinking about.
    On July 2 we'll get dropped at Bearwallow Gap and walk S to Bobblet's Gap. This is less than 4 miles and we can carry water for that night and the next morning. That leaves us the 6.6 to Wilson's Creek. We could cache some water the day we arrive, July 1. Taylor Mountain Overlook might be a good spot, 5 miles, or Harvey's Knob, about 3. Do you have experience or a recommendation?
    Apologies to people who don't find this level of detail interesting. I think it is White Blaze's best feature.

Harvey’s Knob and Montvale both have trash cans. That would make it easier as you could dispose of the plastic jugs. Montvale also has a picnic table. Personally I would not do Taylor Mountain only because there in no trash can and you would end up carrying empty jugs to the finish.

++ New Posts ++