WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Clothing for White Mountains, late September

I've hiked the first 1800 miles of the AT, mostly in spring/fall, and my clothing kit has basically been the same the whole time.

Hiking clothes:
    - 2 pairs synthetic shorts
    - 2 synthetic T-shirts
    - 2 pairs Darn Tough socks
    - lightweight rain jacket/rain pants

Camping clothes:
    - Long johns
    - Fleece pants/shirt
    - Wool socks
    - Warm gloves/hat

I'm planning an AT section hike through the Whites in the 2nd half of September. I've heard about the extreme weather in the sections above tree line and I'm wondering if these clothes will be sufficient. Any suggestions?
    It's all good in the woods.

LR it looks good to me, you have a layer of insulation in there, that's all I carried. However I carried a puffy and zipoff pants, no bottom insulation. My experience is from a mid September whites completion, 2021
    Trail Miles: 5,154.2
    AT Map 1:
    ✔ | 13-21'
    Sheltowee Trace: ✔ | 20-23'
    Pinhoti Trail: ✔ | 23-24'
    Foothills Trail: ✔ | 24'
    GSMNP900: 134.7(17%)
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    CDT: 210.9
    BMT: 52.7

You are not that far off as long as you keep an eye out for an unusual weather pattern. I am advocate of having enough gear to cover my exposed skin when hiking up on the ridges, I would suggest a long sleeve lightweight shirt and a pair of zip of nylon pants. Whatever hat you bring needs to be something that is not going to get blown off you head. I carry a lightweight balaclava that takes up almost no weight and can serve duty as sleeping hat and a hiking hat on windy day.

Do bring sunglasses and sunscreen, the exposed areas of the ridge can really cook you if its sunny out.

Agreed with Gambit and Peakbagger, something to cover legs that is aa little more robust than long underwear would be a good idea. Zip off pants would be the shorts and weight penalty hiking without them is rather small. The down jacket is not a bad idea for camp, it can get cold in that area very fast at that time of year and you will likely find that jacket handy.

Images

Thanks everyone! Switching out one set of t-shirt/shorts for a long sleeve shirt and zip-off pants seems like a good choice.

++ New Posts ++