WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 vs Firefly - thoughts

I've been shopping for a new tent and I'm very interested in either the SoLong 6 or the Firefly for solo long distance hiking.

I'm 6'-0 and I'll probably be upgrading my pad to a wide soon. My current tent is a 2006 Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. That little tent gets the job done but I would call it a bad (if not horrible) experience all around. You have to crawl in and out and barely have enough room to move around or even sit up. It sags badly (sil-nylon) by morning even if it doesn't rain. To say that I hate it is an understatement. I haven't used it much in the recent past. I used it this past weekend for an overnight and decide that it's future is a recycle bin. I am transitioning back to a tent after about 10 years as a hammocker.

So, I'm seriously considering the two Lightheart gear tents in the subject line. I have an old Kelty Crestone II that I like (pretty roomy, two doors and vestibules, not a lot of headroom but enough, heavy. The Firefly has a pretty similar footprint two doors and plenty of headroom. The solong 6 is more room but 5 oz heavier I think.

Not being able to easily experience either of these first hand makes deciding between them a little tough. Videos on youtube are a little limited and I've already watched them all. Please give me your thoughts on the Solong 6 being worth the 5 oz weight penalty for a solo hiker - it may be. FYI, I almost always opt for comfort over weight and then later regret it.

The pros for the solong I can think of are more space, two peak vents instead of 1 - that's about it. The footprints take up nearly the same real estate. But tell me what you think. Either will work well for me other than I don't particularly like sil-nylon tents.

Images

So I'm a little biased in my opinions, because I am LightHeart Gear (the owner) but here's my take on the 2 tents - the Firefly is a tad bit longer, has more ventilation because there is less single wall than the SoLong 6. The firefly is a 'directional' tent - ie it is not symmetrical, so if that bothers you - get the SoLong 6, the peak is offset from the center which makes sitting up from a supine position easier. Yes there is a little more space inside the SoLong 6, but there is plenty of space in the FireFly. Both are great tents. At 6'0", either one will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    So I'm a little biased in my opinions, because I am LightHeart Gear (the owner) but here's my take on the 2 tents - the Firefly is a tad bit longer, has more ventilation because there is less single wall than the SoLong 6. The firefly is a 'directional' tent - ie it is not symmetrical, so if that bothers you - get the SoLong 6, the peak is offset from the center which makes sitting up from a supine position easier. Yes there is a little more space inside the SoLong 6, but there is plenty of space in the FireFly. Both are great tents. At 6'0", either one will be great.
    Thanks, I appreciate the reply. But, I already thoroughly researched the two tents before I posted this so I know the differences. I guess my question should be boiled down to which tent would you take on an AT thru-hike? I've spent a good bit to reduce the weight of my gear so is the extra room worth the 5 oz for most solo hikers? My guess would be no. But I posted the question to get some different points of view.

Images

I take a Firefly with me. And while the asymmetry of it drives me nuts, I do like the tent better.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartFire View Post
    I take a Firefly with me. And while the asymmetry of it drives me nuts, I do like the tent better.
    I've been a backpacker for over 40 years. I buy mostly "cottage" made gear these days. It's really tough to choose sometimes because I'm a hands on guy who likes to experience the "function" aspect of my gear before buying. Its tough to do that by looking at pictures and watching videos. So, I really appreciate your input - it helps.

I have found that with very few exceptions "cottage" made gear is the best you can buy. Its almost always outstanding quality, reasonably priced and designed to do exactly what is needed. ... And customer service can't be beat ... that's important too.
    Last edited by litetrek; 05-19-2024 at 22:26.

Images

I can vouch for the SoLong 6 on an AT thru hike. Used it on my 2014 thru hike and would say it was my favorite piece of gear. It was the envy of some other hikers. Stayed in it about 100 nights of my 175 day hike. Never had an issue with moisture/flooding, ventilation, finding enough space or sufficient ground depth to place tent stake, or any sort of failures. I'm about 6'3" and it was more than sufficient for me and all of my gear. The awning was very appreciated for placing gear outside the tent so it wouldn't get wet, and for making breakfast during rainy mornings.
    Frankenstein - 2014 GAME
    www.trailjournals.com/kylezontheat

Quote Originally Posted by Koozy View Post
    I can vouch for the SoLong 6 on an AT thru hike. Used it on my 2014 thru hike and would say it was my favorite piece of gear. It was the envy of some other hikers. Stayed in it about 100 nights of my 175 day hike. Never had an issue with moisture/flooding, ventilation, finding enough space or sufficient ground depth to place tent stake, or any sort of failures. I'm about 6'3" and it was more than sufficient for me and all of my gear. The awning was very appreciated for placing gear outside the tent so it wouldn't get wet, and for making breakfast during rainy mornings.
    Thanks. I appreciate the info. I would prefer the solong6 but I'm watching my pack weight. I'm considering the firefly since it is also roomy (I'm only 6 feet tall) and the vestibule and awning are essentially the same size as the solong6. The firefly is 5 oz lighter and I'm not as young as I used to be (a common problem).

++ New Posts ++