WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I think every hiker as a dog story. Mine happened in 2017. I finished a section hike from Newfound Gap to Springer and I started going down the approach trail. Then I see two huge dogs, one pitch black, one kind of brownish slowly approaching towards me. we all stopped when they were about 10-15 feet away from each other. They started growling and I raised my hiking poles expecting an attack. We stayed like this for a long minute, watching each other, until the owner showed up and called the dogs. His attitude was like "what's the big deal" and he nonchalantly continued his way up the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    I think every hiker as a dog story. Mine happened in 2017. I finished a section hike from Newfound Gap to Springer and I started going down the approach trail. Then I see two huge dogs, one pitch black, one kind of brownish slowly approaching towards me. we all stopped when they were about 10-15 feet away from each other. They started growling and I raised my hiking poles expecting an attack. We stayed like this for a long minute, watching each other, until the owner showed up and called the dogs. His attitude was like "what's the big deal" and he nonchalantly continued his way up the trail.

Yep, and that's why the pepper spray is always on my waist belt. Sucks because the owner, not the dog, is at fault.
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ankle Bone View Post
    Yep, and that's why the pepper spray is always on my waist belt. Sucks because the owner, not the dog, is at fault.
    If you are forced to spray, perhaps you should be sure to get both? Love dogs, hate them on the trail. NOBODY keeps them leashed.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    If you are forced to spray, perhaps you should be sure to get both? Love dogs, hate them on the trail. NOBODY keeps them leashed.
    I think this is an excellent idea. Owner first, then the dog!
    The older I get, the faster I hiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    With my experience and reinforced from what I've read on this thread, leashed dogs are more likely to be dangerous dogs. Free running/roaming dogs are rarely a real threat. This may be because people with more dangerous dogs tend to keep them leashed. This also might be because dogs on leash are more likely to be defensive and/or react in fear while off-leash dogs can maintain what they perceive as a safe distance and/or don't feel the same need to show protection to their leash holder. Either way, I've only ever seen dogs attack people either while they are leashed or when someone walks into what they identify as their home territory (i.e. not loose on a trail).

And, for these reasons, I find it ironic that in these forums that I read of more people complaining about and condemning people for having their dogs off leash than I do about having potentially aggressive dogs anywhere where they have the remote chance of coming into close(ish) contact with other people either on or off leash. In fact, I read of people condemning others for having their dogs off leash based on being bitten by a dog on a leash!!

The problem is not dogs being off leash. The problem is aggressive, or potentially aggressive dogs being anywhere they can come in contact with other people. Condemn bad behavior (on or off leash) don't condemn well behaved animals roaming free.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    With my experience and reinforced from what I've read on this thread, leashed dogs are more likely to be dangerous dogs. Free running/roaming dogs are rarely a real threat. This may be because people with more dangerous dogs tend to keep them leashed. This also might be because dogs on leash are more likely to be defensive and/or react in fear while off-leash dogs can maintain what they perceive as a safe distance and/or don't feel the same need to show protection to their leash holder. Either way, I've only ever seen dogs attack people either while they are leashed or when someone walks into what they identify as their home territory (i.e. not loose on a trail).

And, for these reasons, I find it ironic that in these forums that I read of more people complaining about and condemning people for having their dogs off leash than I do about having potentially aggressive dogs anywhere where they have the remote chance of coming into close(ish) contact with other people either on or off leash. In fact, I read of people condemning others for having their dogs off leash based on being bitten by a dog on a leash!!

The problem is not dogs being off leash. The problem is aggressive, or potentially aggressive dogs being anywhere they can come in contact with other people. Condemn bad behavior (on or off leash) don't condemn well behaved animals roaming free.
    Tell that to the folks hiking the Florida trail.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    If threatened like that it is reasonable to draw a firearm on the dog(s) [not the owner]. Owner attitude might be very different at seeing their precious property in danger.
    Be Prepared

++ New Posts ++